Mevludin Hasanovic, Alija Sutovic, Esmina Avdibegovic, Izet Pajevic, Abdurahman Kuldija, Amra Delic, Nerminka Aljukic
Volume 2 - October 2013 (10)
Chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) is highly infected disease with long period of failure to recognize it, what leads to chronic liver damage and lower chances for complete cure if detected late. Intravenous opiate users (IDU) often pass the infection to other IDUs, or themselves be infected from virus carriers using the same non-sterile equipment. After the implementation of substitution treatment of opiate addicts (OST) with July 2009 year, serological tests for chronic hepatitis B and C and HIV were indispensable, as well as laboratory findings with liver function parameter analysis as a condition for starting OST. In this way we discovered 50 chronic hepatitis C positive opiate addicts out of 195 of those whom we induced in OST. Although faced with danger of the final result if not treated in time, addicts when become aware that they were chronic hepatitis C positive, they avoid further needed procedures leading to the inclusion of specific therapy with Peginterferon plus Ribavirin. The authors present the problems that chronic hepatitis C positive opiate addicts bring out as a reason they do not accept the continuation of the procedure detecting HCV genotypes, and the inclusion of specific therapy for the chronic hepatitis C treatment in the Departments for Infectious or Internal diseases. The authors present efforts of experts responsible for the chronic hepatitis C treatment to organize a multidisciplinary team, in order to coordinate Interferon therapy for each chronic hepatitis C positive IDUs.
Chronic Hepatitis C, Peginterferon Plus Ribavirin, Opiate Addiction, Substitution Opiate Treatment, Buprenorphine/Naloxone, Suboxone
- Fingerhood MI, Jasinski DR, Sullivan JT. Prevalence of hepatitis C in a chemically dependent population. Arch Intern Med. 1993;153:2025â€“30. http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=617783
- Murphy EL, Bryzman SM, Glynn SA, Ameti DI, Thomson RA, Williams AE, et al. Risk factors for hepatitis C virus infection in United States blood donors. Hepatology. 2000;31:756â€“62. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10706569
- Piccolo P, Borg L, Lin A, Melia D, Ho A, Kreek MJ. Hepatitis C virus and human immunodeficiency virus-1 co-infection in former heroin addicts in methadone maintenance treatment. J Addict Dis.2002;21:55â€“66. DOI: 10.1300/J069v21n04_06
- Novick DM, Kreek MJ. Critical issues in the treatment of hepatitis C virus infection in methadone maintenance patients. Addiction. 2008;103:905â€“18. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18422827
- Kreek MJ, Talal AH, Piccolo P. Treating chronic chronic hepatitis C in recovering opiate addicts: yes, we can. Dig Liver Dis. 2009 Apr;41(4):308-10. doi:10.1016/j.dld.2009.01.003. Epub 2009 Feb 23. PubMed PMID: 19233749; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2778039
- HasanoviÄ‡ M, PajeviÄ‡ I, Kuldija A, DeliÄ‡ A. Medically assisted treatment for opiate addiction--suboxone method as prevention of social exclusion of youth--Tuzla model. Psychiatr Danub. 2012 Oct;24 Suppl 3:S398-404. PubMed PMID:23114824
- HasanoviÄ‡, I. M., Kuldija, A., PajeviÄ‡, M. I., ZoriÄ‡, S. (2012). Gender aspects of epidemiological characteristics of heroin addicts clinically treated in psychiatry department from North-Eastern post-war Bosnia and Herzegovina. Acta Medica Saliniana, 41, 17-21. DOI: 10.5457/ams.219.11
- HasanoviÄ‡, M., PajeviÄ‡, I., Kuldija, A., DeliÄ‡, A., SutoviÄ‡, A. (2012) Quality of life of heroin addicts and their family members improved during medical assisted treatment of opiate dependence with Buprenorphine/Naloxone (Buprenorphine/Naloxon ). British Journal of Medical and Health Sciences; 1:55-62. (October 2012) http://bjmhs.baar.org.uk/uploads/october%20issue/BJMHS-OCTOBER_2012,_Vol-1,No-1.pdf
- HasanoviÄ‡, M., PajeviÄ‡, I., Kuldija, A., DeliÄ‡, A., SutoviÄ‡, A. (2013) Problems in inducing interferon therapy of opiate addicts with hepatitis c who are in substitution maintainance therapy with buprenorphine/naloxone (Suboxone). European Psychiatry 28 â€“ Suppl. 1. P-2018. 6-9 April - Nice-France. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924933813769517
- Belfiori B, Ciliegi P, Chiodera A, Bacosi D, Tosti A, Baldelli F, Francisci D. Peginterferon plus Ribavirin for chronic chronic hepatitis C in opiate addicts on methadone/buprenorphine maintenance therapy. Dig Liver Dis. 2009 Apr;41(4):303-7. doi: 10.1016/j.dld.2008.08.009. Epub 2008 Oct 19. PubMed PMID: 18938116
- Sylvestre DL, Clements BJ. Adherence to hepatitis C treatment in recovering heroin users maintained on methadone. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007Sep;19(9):741-7. PubMed PMID: 17700258
- Frischknecht U, Hermann D, Heinrich M, Hoerst M, Weber-Fahr W, VollstÃ¤dt-Klein S, Kiefer F, Mann K, Ende G. Experience of social discrimination correlates with neurometabolism: a pilot study in heroin addicts. Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2013 Apr;263(3):197-203. doi: 10.1007/s00406-012-0319-6. Epub 2012 May 9. PubMed PMID: 22569752
- Å eremet N, DriniÄ‡ A, BabiÄ‡ DÅ¾. UNDP's support to OST program for addicts through the grant funded by the Global Fund. Book of Abstracts of 3rd Congress of psychiatrists of Bosnia-Herzegovina with international participation. Tuzla, 12th-14th October 2012. Tuzla, Psychiatric Association of Bosnia-Herzegovina. p:165
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.