S. B. Gad., Sergany M. I
Volume 4 - September 2015 (09)
A pot experiment was carried out in order to evaluate the efficacy of four pre-planting herbicides i.e. Amex 48%, Atrazine, Nitrofen and Stomp 5% in comparison with Oxamyl on Meloidogyne incognita infecting okra plant cv Hyper Doki 1 under greenhouse conditions (25±5 ºC). It was evident that all tested pesticides improved plant growth parameters and reduced nematode with various grades. Atrazien overwhelmed other treatments in improving plant growth parameters for plant length (19.84%), whole plant fresh weight (29.32%) and shoot dry weight (66.03%), respectively, followed by Nitrofen for the same plant criteria with values of 15.53, 21.67 and 59.86%, respectively. Moreover, Oxamyl as a nematicide showed extensive values in improving plant growth criteria and ranked first in suppressing nematode population density in soil, galls and eggmass numbers. Atrazine accomplished the reasonable reduction percentage in nematode population density in soil followed by that of Amex 48% application with value of 25.27%. There was no significant differences between the values of RGI and EI indices which achieved equal values with those of nematode alone(4).
Herbicides, Amex, Atrazine, Nitrofen, Stomp, Nematode, Okra, Meloidogyne
- Browdie, I.A., G.L. Tylka, L.P. Pedigo and M.D.K. Own (1994). Response of Heterodera glycines population to a post emergence herbicide mixture and stimulated insect defoliation. J. Nematol. 26:498- 504.
- Byrd, D.W.; T. Kirkpatrick and K. Barker (1983). An improved technique for clearing and staining plant tissues for detection nematodes. J. Nematol., 15 (3): 142-143.
- Duncan, D.B. (1955). Multiple range and multiple, F-test. Biometrics, 11: 1-42.
- Gomez, K. A. and A.A. Gomez (1984). Statistical procedures for Agricultural Research. 2nd Ed., John Wiley &Sons: Inc., New York.
- Goodey, J.B. (1957). Laboratory methods for work with plant and soil nematodes. Tech. Bull. No. 2. Min. Agric. Fish Ed. London, 47 pp.
- Kraus, R.G.; R. Noel and D.L. Edwards (1982). Effect of pre-emergence herbicide and aldicarb on Heterodera glycines population dynamics and yield of soybean (Abstr.) J. Nematol. 14 (14).
- Liphadzi, K.B.; K. Al-Khati; C.N. Bensch; P.W. Stalhlman; J.A. Dile; J.T.R. Todd; C.W. Rice; K.J. Horak and G. Head (2005). Soil microbial and nematode communities as affected by glyphosate resistant cropping system. Weed Sci. 53: 536-545.
- Singh, A.P. and O. Nandram. 2004. Long term effects of fertilizer and herbicides on a nematode population under a rice-wheat-cowpea system. Pest Science and Management. 29(2): 20-27.
- Sipes, S.B. and D.P. Shmitt (1989). Development of Heterodera glycines as affected by alachlor and feneamiphods. J. Nematol. 21(1):24-33.
- Taylor, A. L., and J. N. Sasser (1978). Biology, identification and control of root-knot nematodes (Meloidogyne species). Raleigh, NC: North Carolina State University Graphics.
- Zhao, J. ; A. D. Neher ; S. Fu; Z. Li and K. Wang (2013).Non-target effects of herbicides on soil nematode assemblages. Pest Manag Sci; 69: 679–6
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.