Author(s): Xiaoming Xing, Qiu-xia Ji, Li-li Wang, Lin Li
Background and objective GRP78 and HER-2 expression are related to disease behaviors in various cancers. Previous research has shown that GRP78 is overexpressed in colorectal cancer and plays an important role in the development and progression of colorectal cancer. And evidence for HER-2 expression in colorectalcancer is contradictory for the protein expression status and prognostic value. In our study, we aim to investigate GRP78 and HER-2 expression in colorectal cancer and explore their association with clinicopathological features.
Methods Immnunohistochemical staining was used to assess the expression of GRP78 and HER-2 in 117 cases of colorectal carcinoma and corresponding adjacent tissues were selected for comparative analysis.
Results The positiverate of GRP78 and HER-2 were 68.4% (80/117) and 38.5% (45/117) respectively. The expression of GRP78 and HER-2 in gender, age, tumor size, tumor position, histological grade, depth of invasion and lymph node metastasis had no significant difference (all P > 0.05); No relationship between GRP78 and HER-2 expression was detected ( P = 0.089).
Conclusion GRP78 and HER-2 were not predictors for development and progression in CRC patients. The results do not support any relationship between GRP78 and HER-2 expression in this setting.
GRP78, HER-2, Colorectal cancer, Immunohistochemistry
- 1. Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R, et al. Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012. International journal of cancer. Mar 1 2015;136(5):E359-386.
- 2. Ingold Heppner B, Behrens HM, Balschun K, et al. HER2/neu testing in primary colorectal carcinoma. British journal of cancer. Nov 11 2014;111(10):1977-1984.
- 3. Ni M, Lee AS. ER chaperones in mammalian development and human diseases. FEBS letters. Jul 31 2007;581(19):3641-3651.
- 4. Li Z, Zhang L, Li H, Shan S, Li Z. Glucose regulated protein 78 promotes cell invasion via regulation of uPA production and secretion in colon cancer cells. BMB reports. Aug 2014;47(8):445-450.
- 5. Xing X, Li Y, Liu H, Wang L, Sun L. Glucose regulated protein 78 (GRP78) is overexpressed in colorectal carcinoma and regulates colorectal carcinoma cell growth and apoptosis. Acta histochemica. Dec 2011;113(8):777-782.
- 6. Xing X, Lai M, Wang Y, Xu E, Huang Q. Overexpression of glucose-regulated protein 78 in colon cancer. Clinica chimica acta; international journal of clinical chemistry. Feb 2006;364(1-2):308-315.
- 7. Siddiqa A, Long LM, Li L, Marciniak RA, Kazhdan I. Expression of HER-2 in MCF-7 breast cancer cells modulates anti-apoptotic proteins Survivin and Bcl-2 via the extracellular signal-related kinase (ERK) and phosphoinositide-3 kinase (PI3K) signalling pathways. BMC cancer. 2008;8:129.
- 8. Marx AH, Burandt EC, Choschzick M, et al. Heterogenous high-level HER-2 amplification in a small subset of colorectal cancers. Human pathology. Nov 2010;41(11):1577-1585.
- 9. Kapitanovic S, Radosevic S, Kapitanovic M, et al. The expression of p185(HER-2/neu) correlates with the stage of disease and survival in colorectal cancer. Gastroenterology. Apr 1997;112(4):1103-1113.
- 10. Li Z, Li Z. Glucose regulated protein 78: a critical link between tumor microenvironment and cancer hallmarks. Biochimica et biophysica acta. Aug 2012;1826(1):13-22.
- 11. Pfaffenbach KT, Lee AS. The critical role of GRP78 in physiologic and pathologic stress. Current opinion in cell biology. Apr 2011;23(2):150-156.
- 12. Yao YF, Du CZ, Chen N, Chen P, Gu J. Expression of HER-2 in rectal cancers treated with preoperative radiotherapy: a potential biomarker predictive of metastasis. Diseases of the colon and rectum. May 2014;57(5):602-607.
- 13. Kovacevic D, Sonicki Z, Kusic Z, et al. Preoperative serum levels of c-erbB-2 do not seem to be useful in management of patients with rectal cancer. International journal of colorectal disease. Jul 2007;22(7):827-831.
- 14. Schuell B, Gruenberger T, Scheithauer W, Zielinski C, Wrba F. HER 2/neu protein expression in colorectal cancer. BMC cancer. 2006;6:123.
- 15. Cai B, Tomida A, Mikami K, Nagata K, Tsuruo T. Down-regulation of epidermal growth factor receptor-signaling pathway by binding of GRP78/BiP to the receptor under glucose-starved stress conditions. Journal of cellular physiology. Nov 1998;177(2):282-288.
- 16. Kavanagh DO, Chambers G, O'Grady L, et al. Is overexpression of HER-2 a predictor of prognosis in colorectal cancer? BMC cancer. 2009;9:1.
- 17. Ma WW, Adjei AA. Novel agents on the horizon for cancer therapy. CA: a cancer journal for clinicians. Mar-Apr 2009;59(2):111-137.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.