Author(s): Thiago da Silveira Antoniassi, Luis Cesar Fava Spessoto, Jose Roberto G.Filho, Vinícius Matias Monteiro Cavalcante, Etore Andrade da Silva, Maria Fernanda W. Facio, Laisa Ferraz de Arruda, Jerônimo Ferraz de Arruda Neto, José Germano F. Arruda, Germano José F. Arruda, Marcio Gatti, Pedro Francisco F. Arruda, Fernando Nestor Facio Junior
Peyronie's disease is a benign disease of unknown etiology. The objective of this study was to evaluate factors associated to Peyronie's disease in patients submitted to the Nesbit surgical procedure. Patients and We conducted a retrospective study in 67 patients through a descriptive analysis of patients submitted to the Nesbit surgical procedure in Hospital de Base in Sao Jose do Rio Preto. Results: The main factors associated with Peyronie's disease found in this study were smoking (46.2%), hypertension (41.7%) and excessive alcohol consumption (25.3%). Most patients took some type of medication daily, in particular antihypertensive drugs. Significant associations were found with smoking, hypertension and alcohol abuse.
antihypertensive drugs, Peyronie's disease, risk factors
- Hauptmann A, Diemer T, Weidner W. Peyronie’s disease: diagnostic and therapy Urologe A 2011;50(5):609-20.
- Graziottin TM, Resplande J, Gholami SS, Lue TF. Peyronie’s disease Braz J Urol 2001;27:326-340.
- Carrieri MP, Serraino D, Palmiotto F, Nucci G, Sasso F. A case-control study on risk factors for Peyronie’s disease. J Clin Epidemiol. 1998;51: 511-515.
- Rhoden E L, Teloken C, Ting H Y, Lucas M L, Ros C T, Souto VCA. Prevelence of Peyronie’s Disease in men over 50-y-old from southern Brazil. Int J Impot Res 2001; 13(5): 291-3.
- Christopher JS, Chelsea M, Ridwan S. Peyronie's disease: the epidemiology, aetiology and clinical evaluation of deformity. BJU Int 2005; 95:729–32.
- Kadioglu A, Sanli O, Akman T, Canguven O, Aydin M, Akbulut F, Kucukdurmaz F. Factors affecting the degree of penile deformity in Peyronie’s disease: an analysis of 1001 patients. J Androl 2011;32(5):502-8.
- Sasso F, Gulino G, Falabella R, D’Adessi A, Sacco E, D’Onofrio A, Bassi PF. Peyronie’s disease: lights and shadows. Urol Int 2007;78 1-9.
- Hellstrom WJ. Medical management of Peyronie’s disease. J Androl 2009;30(4):397-405.
- Sommer F, Schwarzer U, Wassmer G, Bloch W, Braun M, Klotz T, Engelmann U. Epidemiology of Peyronie’s disease Int J Impot Res 2002;14(5):379-83.
- Muralidhar S, Kumar B, Sharma SK, Sharma M, Mandal AK. Etiologic factors in Peyronie’s disease Int J Dermatol 1997;36(8):579-81.
- Levine LA, Estrada CR, Storm DW, Matkov TG. Peyronie’s disease in younger men: characteristics and treatment results. J Androl 2003;24(1):27-32.
- Tunuguntla HS. Management of Peyronie’s disease: a review. World J Urol 2001;19(4):244-50.
- Paladini G. Peyronie’s disease and systemic lupus erythematous syndrome associated with metoprolol administration: a case report. Int J Tissue React 1981;3(2):95-8
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.