Author(s): Bianca Aki Ishiy Ozima, Pedro Paulo Polotto, Thiago Litaiff Padilha, João Paulo Pretti Fantin, Fernando Nestor Fácio Júnior, Luís Cesar Fava Spessoto
The aim of this research was to investigate the clinical application of the ankle-brachial index (ABI), used to diagnose PAD, in patients with ED, taking into account demographic and socioeconomic characteristics, and possible associations of the degree of ED with the ABI and with risk factors for ED. A prospective quasi randomized (in order of arrival) cross-sectional study was performed of patients with ED from the region of São José do Rio Preto, SP, Brazil, regardless of race. ED was classified as mild (grade 1), moderate (grade 2) or severe (grade 3) using the international index of erectile function (IIEF). Patients were submitted to an assessment of the ABI with values below 0.9 indicating PAD. Of the patients studied (n = 30), nine (30%) had mild (grade 1), 14 (46.7%) moderate (grade 2) and seven (23.3%) severe ED (grade 3). Most patients were between 60 and 70 years old, had waist circumferences above the ideal (86.7%), were married or in a stable relationship (80%), and had at least six years of schooling (54%). The clinical application of ABI in patients with ED showed the absence of PAD. Regarding risk factors for ED, most patients were hypertensive and sedentary. There was no significant association between the degree of ED and the ABI, or risk factors for ED.
erectile dysfunction, peripheral arterial disease, cardiovascular risk factors
- Abdo CH, Oliveira WM Jr, Scanavino MT, Martins FG. Erectile dysfunction: results of the Brazilian Sexual Life Study. Rev Assoc Med Bras 2006;52:424-9.
- Al Naimi A, Majzoub AA, Talib RA, Canguven O, Al Ansari A. Erectile dysfunction in qatar: prevalence and risk factors in 1,052 participants-a pilot study. Sex Med 2014;2:91-5.
- Derby CA, Mohr BA, Goldstein I, Feldman HA, Johannes CB, McKinlay JB. Modifiable risk factors and erectile dysfunction: can lifestyle changes modify risk? Urology 2000;56:302-6.
- Despres JP, Moorjani S, Lupien PJ, Tremblay A, Nadeau A, Bouchard C. Regional distribution of body fat, plasma lipoproteins, and cardiovascular disease. Arteriosclerosis 1990;10:497-511.
- Feldman HA, Goldstein I, Hatzichristou DG, Krane RJ, McKinlay JB. Impotence and its medical and psychosocial correlates: results of the Massachusetts Male Aging Study. J Urol 1994;151:54-61.
- Hannan JL, Maio MT, Komolova M, Adams MA. Beneficial impact of exercise and obesity interventions on erectile function and its risk factors. J Sex Med 2009;6:254-61.
- Hoyos CM, Melehan KL, Phillips CL, Grunstein RR, Liu PY. To ED or not to ED--is erectile dysfunction in obstructive sleep apnea related to endothelial dysfunction? Sleep Med Rev 2015;20:5-14.
- Janiszewski PM, Janssen I, Ross R. Abdominal obesity and physical inactivity are associated with erectile dysfunction independent of body mass index. J Sex Med 2009;6:1990-8.
- Janssen I, Katzmarzyk PT, Ross R. Waist circumference and not body mass index explains obesity-related health risk. Am J Clin Nutr 2004;79:379-84.
- Johnson JM, Bivalacqua TJ, Lagoda GA, Burnett AL, Musicki B. eNOS-uncoupling in age-related erectile dysfunction. Int J Impot Res 2011;23:43-8.
- Kaya E, Sikka SC, Gur S. A comprehensive review of metabolic syndrome affecting erectile dysfunction. J Sex Med 2015;12:856-75.
- Kratzik CW, Lackner JE, Mark I, Rücklinger E, Schmidbauer J, Lunglmayr G, et al. How much physical activity is needed to maintain erectile function? Results of the Androx Vienna Municipality Study. Eur Urol 2009;55:509-16.
- Lewington S, Clarke R, Qizilbash N, Peto R, Collins R, Prospective Studies Collaboration. Age-specific relevance of usual blood pressure to vascular mortality: a meta-analysis of individual data for one million adults in 61 prospective studies. Lancet 2002;360:1903-13.
- Li J, Siegrist J. Physical activity and risk of cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2012;9:391-407.
- Lohman TG, Roche AF, Martorell R. Anthropometric standardization reference manual. Champaign: Human Kinetics Book; 1998.
- Maia ACSF, Pinheiro FP, Arruda JGF, Spessoto LCF, Arruda PFF, Fácio Júnior FN. Cardiovascular risk factors in patients with erectile dysfunction. Int J Sci 2016;2:32-7.
- Miner M, Nehra A, Jackson G, Bhasin S, Billups K, Burnett AL, et al. All men with vasculogenic erectile dysfunction require a cardiovascular workup. Am J Med 2014;127:174-82.
- Moreira Jr ED, Abdo CHN, Torres EB, Lobo CFL, Fittipaldi JAS. Prevalence and correlates of erectile dysfunction: results of the Brazilian Study of Sexual Behaviour. Urology 2001;58:583-8.
- Murabito JM, Evans JC, Larson MG, Nieto K, Levy D, Wilson PW. The ankle-brachial index in the elderly and risk of stroke, coronary disease, and death: the Framingham Study. Arch Intern Med 2003;163:1939-42.
- National Institutes of Health Consensus Conference. Impotence. National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Panel on Impotence. JAMA 1993;270:83-90.
- Polonsky TS, Taillon LA, Sheth H, Min JK, Archer SL, Ward RP. The association between erectile dysfunction and peripheral arterial disease as determined by screening ankle-brachial index testing. Atherosclerosis 2009;207:440-4.
- Prasad DS, Das BC. Physical inactivity: a cardiovascular risk factor. Indian J Med Sci 2009;63:33-42.
- Randrup E, Baum N, Feibus A. Erectile dysfunction and cardiovascular disease. Postgrad Med 2015;127:166-72.
- Sanjay S, Bharti GS, Manish G, Rajeev P, Pankaj A, Puspalata, et al. Metabolic syndrome: an independent risk factor for erectile dysfunction. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2015;19:277-82.
- Schwartz BG, Kloner RA. Cardiovascular implications of erectile dysfunction. Circulation 2011;123:e609-11.
- Spessoto L, Cordeiro J, Godoy J. Effect of systemic arterial pressure on erectile dysfunction in the initial stages of chronic arterial insufficiency. BJU Int 2010;106:1723-5.
- Spessoto LCF, Facio Jr FN, Arruda JGF, Arruda PFF, Gatti M, Antoniassi TS, et al. Association of hypertension with erectile function in chronic peripheral arterial insufficiency patients. J Clin Med Res 2016;8:582-4.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.