Intraspecific hybridization work was carried out on Clarias anguilaris and exotic hollandis Clarias gariepinus with the aim of determining the combination with the best hatchability, survival, and growth performance. The highest percentage hatchability (52.94%) was recorded for the parental exotic Clarias gariepinus while the least (43.99%) was recorded for the parental Clarias anguilaris, 51.80% hatchability was recorded for female Clarias anguilaris x male exotic Clarias gariepinus and 50.68% hatchability for female exotic Clarias gariepinus x male Clarias anguilaris respectively. The highest percentage survival of 74.5% was recorded for parental Clarias anguilaris and the least percentage survival of 38% was recorded for parental exotic Clarias gariepinus. The highest growth performance of 1.77g was observed in pure exotic hollandis C .gariepinus fry, followed by the hybrid cross of female exotic Clarias gariepinus x male Clarias anguilaris(1.60g), then the hybrid cross of male exotic Clarias gariepinus x female Clarias anguilaris (1.53g) and the least was 1.43g for pure Clarias angularis fry. The highest length increase of 0.89cm was observed in the fry of pure exotic hollandis Clarias gariepinus and the least is 0.53cm for pure Clarias angularis fry. Therefore the result of this research work shows that the hybrid of Male exotic holladis Clarias gariepinus x Female Clarias anguilaris is better for culture since the percentage survival, hatchability and length increase is higher than that of Female exotic Clarias gariepinus x Male Clarias anguilaris. Although there was no significant difference in their growth performance.
Intraspecific, Hybridization, Clarias, Exotic, Hatchability, Survival, Growth
- Akinwande (2005): Sequence comparism of partial cytochrome b gene of two colia species . J.
- Ocean University of china, 4 (1) :85 -88.
- Aluko, P. O. (1990): Evaluation of hatchability, survival and growth of Clarias anguilaris. World
- J. Biotechnol., 11: 1662 – 1667.
- Aluko, P. O., Aremu, A. and Isaah S. (1999): Growth Performance of Intraspecific Hybrids of three strain of H longifilis. NIFFR Annual report 1999 Pp 45 – 49.
- Andrade-Neto VF, Brandão MG, Stehmann JR, Oliveira LA, Krettli AU (2003). Antimalarial activity of Cinchona-like plants used to treat fever and malaria in Brazil. J. Ethnopharmacol. 87(2-3):253-256.
- Ayoola, J. (2001): Improved Fish Seed through Biotechnology. A project submitted in partial Fulfillment of the Award of HND at FCFFT, New Bussa. Pp 1 – 3.
- Agnese, J.F., Otenee, Z.J., Gilles, S.(1995): Effect of domestication on generic variability, survival and Growth rate in a tropical Siluriform: Heterobranchus longifils valenciennes
- 1840. Aquaculture 131:197-204.
- Bakos, J. and Gorda S.(19995): Genetic improvement of common carp strains using Intraspecific Hybridization. Aquacultive Performance Growth and Survival of Selected and wild hhhSelected Channel Catfish. Theor. Appl. Gentic 68.391 – 395.
- Bondary. K. (1984): Reproduction performance growth and survival of selected and wild
- selected channel catfish. Theor. Appl .Genetic 68. 391-395.
- Cambray and van derWaal, B.C.W. (2006): Dutch domesticated Clarias with mixed genetic
- background now used in aquaculture in South Africa, with unpredictable consequences for bioderversit, Afr. J. Aquat.Sci. 31(1):151-153.
- Chevassus,B.(1979):Hybridization in Salmonids: Result and Perspectives.Aquaculture17,113– 128.
- Dada and Wonah (2003): Fish introduction in Europe with particular reference to its central and
- Eastern part.Can. J . Fish.Aquat. Sci. 48(Suppl.1):13-23.
- De Graaf . G. Galemoni F; Banzoussi, B. (1995): Artificial reproduction and fingerling
- production of the African catfish, clarias gariepinus (Buchel 1822), in reported and
- protected ponds. Aquaculture research, 1995, 26, 233-242, Editor . S.F. de Graaf
- and R.J.Roberts. Blackwell science.
- Dunham, R. A., Malumdark, H. E., Mail, G. Smitherman,(1987), (2001): Review of the status
- of aquaculture genetic in K.P. Subasinghe, P. Bueno, M.J. Philips; C. Hought’s F.
- and J.R. Arthuriseds, Aquaculture in the third Millennium Technical Proceeding of the Conference on Aquaculture in the third millennium, Bangkok, Thailand, 20 – 25 February 137 – 166, NACA Bangkok and FAO, Rome.
- Ferris et.,al. (1982, 1996,2000 , 2002): The perpetual oversight of hatchery programmes. Fish.
- Fujii, (2002): Tracking released Japenese flounder Paralichthys olivacous by Mitochondrial DNA sequence. In: chill, K. (Eds.), Ecology and Aquaculture Species and enhancement of stocks. Proc. 13th US-Japan meeting on aquaculture. Pp 51-53.
- Husman, E. A and Richter, C.J.J.(1987): Reproduction, Growth, Health Control and Aquaculture potentials of African Catfish Clarrias gariepinus (Burchell, 1822) Neth J.Agric. Sci. 35 (I): 63-66
- Kuma et.,al.(2004): Reciprocal hybridization between two catfishes H. Fossilis and Clarias
- Betrachus. Indian J. Exp. Biol., 33:433-433.
- Madu, C.T. and Aluko P.O. (1999): Hybrid Mudfish Comparative growth and Survival of Hybrid and Initiative Parent proc Biotech Society 1999. Pp 89-94
- Nlewadin, A.A. (2002): Hybridization Studies in three Clarrid Fishes. Phd Thesis Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike, Nigeria Pp 1.
- Nwadukwe, F.O. (1995): Fatchery Propagation of five Hybrid groups by Artificial Hybridization of Clarias gariepinus (B) and Heterobranchus Longifilis (Val. Clariidae) using dry powerdered carps pituitary Hormone. Journal of Aquaculture in the Tropics 10, 1-11.
- Olufeagba, S.O. and Aluko P.O. (1997): Growth and Survival of Triploid H. Longifilis (Vol. 1840) NIFFR Annual report 1979. Pp 102 – 109
- Olufeagba, S.O., Ladu, B.M.B., Erinle, E.O., Woru, D. Aremu, B; Victor, M and Shuaibu, Y. (2002). Studies of Hatchability, Growth and Survival rate in Hollandis, Heterobranchus longifilis and Claias gariepinus, NIFFR.
- Oloyede HOB (2005). All for the love of nutrients. The seventy eight inaugural lecture, Library and publication Committee, University of Ilorin.
- Seagrant (1987): Genetic guidelines for Fisheries Management Seagrant Research Report (17) Published by Minnesota seagrant, University of Minnesota.
- Smitherman and Dunham (1995): Experimental hybridization
- Tave, D. (1993): Genetics for hatchery management (2nd edition).A an AVI, New York.
- Teugel, G.G. (1986): A system revision of the African Species of Genus Clarias (Pisces Claridae) Konin Klijk Museum Voor Middle Africa Tervurea, Belgium. P
- Teugels and Adriaens (2003): Production of exotic clarias gariepinus fingerlings at varying
- stocking density in outdoor concrete pond.
- Venden and Bernsak (1999): in Nlewadim AA200 hybridization studies in three fishes PHD
- thesis Michael Opara University of Agric, Umudike, Nigeria. Pp 11.
- Venden Bossiclae and Bersak (1990): Source Book for the Inland Fishery Resources of Africa. 2 GFA. Tech. Paper No 18. 2 pp 411, Rome.
- Wohlfarth, G.W. (1994): The Unexploited Potential of Tilapia Hybrids in Aquaculture.
- Aquaculture and Dish Management 25: pp 781 – 788.
- Zegarac J.P. (2014). The Power of Blueberries Today’s Dietitian 16(10):42.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.