Vertical irregularity tends to have an adverse impact on the seismic effect on structures, but currently, there is the lack of appropriate research on the use of isolation technique to reduce seismic effect and issues related to a weak story. This paper focuses on the analysis of isolated vertical irregular structure in both scenarios of mass distribution and stiffness distribution. Discussion on the influence of shear forces distribution pattern, damping coefficients and other parameters caused by the irregular distribution of story mass and stiffness is made. According to previous works cited and our case study analysis, it concluded that base isolation of irregular structures ensures better seismic resistance by reducing base shear and improving damping characteristics.
Isolated Structure, Vertical Irregularity, Effect
- Salunkhe U and Kanase J S 2017 Seismic Demand of Framed Structure with Mass Irregularity 6 98–9
- Habibi A and Asadi K 2013 Seismic Performance of RC Frames Irregular in Elevation Designed Based on Iranian Seismic Code J. Rehabil. Civ. Eng. 1 40–55
- Himanshu B and Gagandeep 2013 Seismic Analysis and Design of Vertically Irregular Rc Building Frames 3 207–15
- Soni D P and Mistry B B 2006 Qualitative review of seismic response of vertically irregular building frames ISET J. Earthq. Technol. 43 121–32
- Guangren Yu, M.ASCE, Gary Y.K. Chock F A Comparison of the USA, China and Japan Seismic Design Procedures ASCE 0
- Power E 2012 Introduction to ASCE7 Seismic Design and the Comparison with Chinese Code GB 50011-2010 238 881–5
- Kara N and Celep Z 2012 Nonlinear seismic response of structural systems having vertical irregularities due to discontinuities in columns 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering pp 15897–905
- Athanassiadou C J 2008 Seismic performance of R/C plane frames irregular in elevation Eng. Struct. 30 1250–61
- Zhou J, Bu G, Wang H and Cai J 2013 Modification of Ductility Reduction Factor for Vertically Irregular Structures Subjected to Pulse-Like Ground Motions Adv. Struct. Eng. 16 641–52
- Moehle J P 1984 Seismic Response of Vertically Irregular Structures J. Struct. Eng. 110 2002–14
- Caterino N, Cosenza E and Azmoodeh B M 2013 Approximate methods to evaluate storey stiffness and interstory drift of RC buildings in seismic area Struct. Eng. Mech. 46 245–67
- Mohod M V 2015 Effect Of Shape And Plan Configuration On Seismic Response Of Structure 4 84–8
- Abdul S, Abdul A, Salik A U, Irregularities S and Shear B 2010 Seismic analysis of vertically irregular buildings 111 1–6
- Parma V 2015 Effect of Base Isolation in Multistoried Rc Irregular Building Using Time History Analysis 2319–22
- Di Sarno L, Chioccarelli E and Cosenza E 2011 Seismic response analysis of an irregular base isolated building Bull. Earthq. Eng. 9 1673–702
- Toyama J, Shinozaki Y and Inoue T 2004 AN ADVANCED BASE-ISOLATION SYSTEM
- Dangyu, Huokai Cheng influence of longitudinal irregularities of the isolated structure [J] Seismic Engineering and Retrofitting, 2010,32 (6): 54-59.
- Dangyu analysis and software implementation of complex isolated structure [D] Wuhan University of Technology, 2011, (03): 78-96.
- The leaf crown Min isolated in the form of vertical irregular structure of contrast [D] Southwest Jiaotong University, 2014, (12): 23-56.
-  Zhang Kai, Liu Hongbing, Wang Wei and other peaks seismic performance evaluation vertical irregular structure [J] Vibration and Shock, 2009,28 (7): 175-178.
-  Into the door Jie, Shi Qingxuan vertical irregularity reinforced concrete frame structures based on seismic performance evaluation method [J] Vibration and Shock, 2011,30 (6): 114-119
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.