The Paris Agreement requests to establish the transparency framework to clarify, and track the progress towards achieving Parties’ National Determined Contributions and Parties’ adaptation actions. Monitoring Reporting and Verification (MRV) for adaptation aims to enhance the transparency, and to check progress and the effectiveness of the adaptation actions. Developing the indicators for monitoring the adaptation actions contributes to the development of the adaptation MRV system. This paper focuses on the process of establishing the indicators to monitor adaptation action in forestry sector, Quang Ngai Province, Viet Nam. After two rounds of the Delphi technique are applied, the indicators are then grouped into 3 clusters based on the Result Based Management tool (Adaptation Capacity, Adaptation Actions, and Sustained Development in climate change) to identify the effectiveness of adaptation action. Our study found that 8 out of 10 indicators were ranked in the 4-5 range (likely relevant to highly relevant), which means they should be applied in Quang Ngai province. As indicated by the experts, 02 indicators (Salinity, and Percentage of saltwater intrusion areas) were not appropriate due to the unclear effectiveness of adaptation action. The set of indicators could be used to monitor the progress of project implementation. Monitoring the implementation progress of adaptation action contributes to the commitment of adaptation component under Vietnam’s NDC and the development of the MRV system for adaptation. The MRV for adaptation needs to be further researched and developed.
Indicator, Monitoring, Adaptation, Delphi Technique
- An Thinh Nguyen, Anh Dung Vu, Giang.T.H.Dang, Anh Huy Hoang, Luchens. (2017). How do local community adapt to climate change along heavily damage coasts? A stake holder Delphi study in Ky Anh Central (Viet Nam). Environment Development and Sustainability. 10.1007/s10668-017-9908-x
- Chu HC, Hwang GJ 2007. A Delphi-Based Approach to Developing Experts System with the Cooperation of Multiple Experts. Experts System with Application, pp.1-15, (article in press)
- GIZ, WRI. 2011. Making Adaptation Count, concept and option for monitoring and evaluation of climate adaptation
- Harold A. Linstone. 2002. The Delphi Technique Techniques and Applications
- Le Trinh Hai Nguyen An Thinh Tran Anh Tuan Dao Dinh Cham Luu The Anh Hoang Luu Thu Thuy Nguyen Manh Ha Tran Quoc Bao Le Van Huong Uong Dinh Khanh Bui Thi Mai Phuc Tuan Tong Quang Hai Truong Hoang Hai. (2015). "Impacts of climate change on agro-ecological landscapes in the coastal area of the Thai Binh province (Vietnam) using the Delphi technique". International Journal of Climate Change Strategies and Management, Vol. 7 Iss 2 pp
- Le Trinh Hai, Pham Hoang Hai, Nguyen Truong Khoa and Luc Hens. 2009. Indicators for sustainable development in the Quang Tri Province, Viet Nam. J Hum Ecol, 27(3): 217-227
- People’s Committee of Quang Ngai province. 2015. Report on summary of National Target program to respond to climate change for the period of 2010-2015
- Quang Ngai’s PPC. 2013. The Decision No.1470/QD-UBND dated on 10th October 2013 on the approval of project "Reforestation and restoration of coastal mangroves in Binh Thuan Commune, Binh Son district, Quang Ngai province"
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.