Stormwater management is the practice to reduce the volume and velocity of runoff generated from development sites. Measuring and quantifying volume of runoff associated with land use characteristics is important for sustained practice. This study aims to fill the gap of applying a stormwater management model to quantify runoff volumes in a university campus for flood mitigation. To evaluate the effects of stormwater management practices in a small scale urban setting, we performed modeling using the Stormwater Management Model (SWMM) to make projections for reducing overall stormwater flow and flooding during the long-term storm events. Modeling results show that 23% of surface runoff (6,027 m3) was infiltrated. More than 19.000 m3 of water could be stored for irrigation purposes and almost 73.600 US Dollars could be saved annually by these techniques. Results indicate that SWMM holds promise for use at smaller scales in urban settings.
Stormwater management, SWMM, rainfall, surface runoff, campus design, Ankara
- Grimm, N.B., Faeth, S.H., Golubiewski, N.E., Redman, C.L., Wu, J., Bai, X., and Briggs, J.M. (2008) Global change and the ecology of cities. Science, 319(5864), 756-760.
- Thomas, P.R. and Greene, G.R. (1993) Rainwater quality from different roof catchments. Water Sciences Technology, 28, 291-299.
- Trenberth, K.E., Dai, A., Rasmussen, R.M., and Parsons, D.B. (2003) The changing character of precipitation. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 84(9), 1205-1217.
- Niemczynowicz, J. (1999) Urban hydrology and water management–present and future challenges. Urban water, 1(1), 1-14.
- Seybert, T., (2006). Stormwater management for land development: methods and calculations for quantity control. Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Walsh, C.J., Fletcher, T.D., and Burns, M.J. (2012) Urban stormwater runoff: a new class of environmental flow problem. PLoS One, 7(9), e45814.
- Wu, J.Y., Thompson, J.R., Kolka, R.K., Franz, K.J., and Stewart, T.W. (2013) Using the Storm Water Management Model to predict urban headwater stream hydrological response to climate and land cover change. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 17(12), 4743.
- Walsh, C.J., Booth, D.B., Burns, M.J., Fletcher, T.D., Hale, R.L., Hoang, L.N., ... and Wallace, A. (2016) Principles for urban stormwater management to protect stream ecosystems. Freshwater Science, 35(1), 398-411.
- Barbosa, A.E., Fernandes, J.N. and David, L.M. (2012) Key issues for sustainable urban stormwater management. Water Research, 46(20), 6787-6798.
- Medina, D.E., Monfils, J. and Baccala, Z. (2011) Green infrastructure benefits for floodplain management: a case study. Stormwater, 12, 24-31.
- Keeley, M., Koburger, A., Dolowitz, D.P., Medearis, D., Nickel, D., and Shuster, W. (2013) Perspectives on the use of green infrastructure for stormwater management in Cleveland and Milwaukee. Environmental Management, 51(6), 1093-1108.
- Green, O.O., Shuster, W.D., Rhea, L.K., Garmestani, A.S., and Thurston, H.W. (2012) Identification and induction of human, social, and cultural capitals through an experimental approach to stormwater management. Sustainability, 4(8), 1669-1682.
- Ahiablame, L.M., Engel, B.A. and Chaubey, I. (2012) Effectiveness of low impact development practices: literature review and suggestions for future research. Water Air and Soil Pollution, 223(7), 4253-4273.
- Pyke, C., Warren, M.P., Johnson, T., LaGro, J., Scharfenberg, J., Groth, P., ... and Main, E. (2011) Assessment of low impact development for managing stormwater with changing precipitation due to climate change. Landscape and Urban Planning, 103(2), 166-173.
- Cahill, T.H. (2012) Low impact development and sustainable stormwater management. John Wiley and Sons.
- Donofrio, J., Kuhn, Y., McWalter, K. and Winsor, M. (2009) Water-sensitive urban design: an emerging model in sustainable design and comprehensive water-cycle management. Environmental Practice, 11, 179-189.
- Hoyer, J., Dickhaut, W., Kronawitter, L., and Weber, B. (2011). Water sensitive urban design: principles and inspiration for sustainable stormwater management in the city of the future. Jovis, Hamburg, Germany.
- Morison, P.J., and Brown, R.R. (2011) Understanding the nature of publics and local policy commitment to Water Sensitive Urban Design. Landscape and urban planning, 99(2), 83-92.
- Scholz, M., Morgan, R. and Picher, A. (2005) Stormater resources development and management in Glasgow: two case studies. International Journal of Environmental Studies, 62(3), 263-282.
- Burns, M.J., Fletcher, T.D., Walsh, C.J., Ladson, A.R., and Hatt, B.E. (2012) Hydrologic shortcomings of conventional urban stormwater management and opportunities for reform. Landscape and Urban Planning, 105(3), 230-240.
- Everett, G., Lamond, J., and Lawson, E. (2015) Green infrastructure and urban water management. Handbook on Green Infrastructure: Planning, Design and Implementation, 50.
- Lasage, R., and Verburg, P.H. (2015) Evaluation of small scale water harvesting techniques for semi-arid environments. Journal of Arid Environments, 118, 48-57.
- Mark, O., Weesakul, S., Apirumanekul, C., Aroonnet, S.B. and Djordijevic, S. (2004) Potential and limitations of 1D modelling of urban flooding. Journal of Hydrology, 299(3), 284-299.
- Bennis, S., and Crobeddu, E. (2007) New runoff simulation model for small urban catchments. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 12(5), 540-544.
- Majewski, W. (2008) Urban flash flood in Gdansk: solutions and measures for city flood. International Journal of River Basin Management, 6(4), 357-367.
- Chen, Y., Samuelson, H.W. and Tong, Z. (2016) Integrated design workflow and a new tool for urban rainwater management. Journal of Environmental Management, 180, 45-51.
- Rossman, L.A. (2015) Stormwater Management Model user’s manual: version 5.1. United States Environmental Protection Agency, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Gironás, J., Roesner, L.A., Rossman, L.A., and Davis, J. (2010) A new applications manual for the Storm Water Management Model (SWMM). Environmental Modelling and Software, 25(6), 813-814.
- Zhang, G., Hamlett, J.M., Reed, P. and Tang, Y. (2013) Multi-objective optimization of low impact development designs in an urbanizing watershed. Open Journal of Optimization, 2, 95-108.
- Xing, W., Li, P., Cao, S., Liu, F. and Zuo, J. (2016) Layout effects and optimization of runoff storage and filtration facilities based on SWMM simulation in a demonstration area. Water Science and Engineering, 9(2), 115-124.
- Tuler, S.P., Webler, T., and Rhoades, J.L. (2016) Stormwater management in a time of climate change: insights from a series of scenario-building dialogues. Weather Climate and Society, 8(2), 163-175.
- Gülbaz, S., and Kazezyilmaz-Alhan, C.M. (2015) Investigating the effects of low impact development (LID) on surface runoff and TSS in a calibrated hydrodynamic model. Journal of Urban and Environmental Engineering, 9(2), 91.
- Karakoçak, B.B., Yenigün, O. and Toraman, R.T. (2013) An integrated approach to water management in Kayseri: rainwater collection and use in an amusement park. Water Science and Technology, 67(5), 1137-1143.
- Gezder, V. and Gökdağ, M. (2014) Surface drainage of urban streets and the example of Erzurum. Iğdır Univ. J. Inst. Sci. & Tech., 4(3), 41-51.
- Saygın, N. and Ulusoy, P. (2011) Stormwater management and green infrastructure techniques for sustainable campus design. Journal of Polytechnic, 14(3), 223-231.
- Örnek, M.A., Ersoy, M. and Seçkin, Y.Ç. (2015)
Estimating stormwater runoff from the 3D-model of an urban area in Istanbul. Journal of Digital Landscape Architecture, 17, 92-103.
- Özölçer, İ.H. (2016) Rainwater harvesting analysis for Bülent Ecevit University central campus. Karaelmas Science and Engineering Journal, 6(1), 22-34.
- Köle, M.M. (2014) Ankara örneklemi üzerinde Cumhuriyet dönemi su kaynakları yönetim modelleri. Türkiye Sosyal Araştırmalar Dergisi, 181(181), 69-86.
- MGM (2016) Turkish State Meteorological Service database. Kalaba, Ankara.
- Szolgay, J., Parajka, J., Kohnová, S., and Hlavčová, K. (2009) Comparison of mapping approaches of design annual maximum daily precipitation. AtmosphericResearch, 92(3), 289-307.
- KHGM (1992) Ankara İli AraziVarlığı. Köy Hizmetleri Genel Müdürlüğü Yayınları, Ankara.
- Ferguson, B.K. (1998) Introduction to stormwater: concept, purpose, design. John Wiley & Sons.
- Buhaug, H., and Urdal, H. (2013) An urbanization bomb? Population growth and social disorder in cities. Global Environmental Change, 23(1), 1-10.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.