Author(s): Azhar FJ, Muslim AM
The current study reported the presence of a species of amoeba belonging to the genus Acanthamoeba is A. polyphaga recording for the first time in Iraq, this species classified depending on morphological features of cyst phase. 33 samples were isolated from environmental source, including rivers and soils in Basra province, 18 of these samples were positive for genus Acanthamoeba and 2 were positive to Acanthamoeba polyphaga. We used non nutrient agar to growth the amoeba and incubation in 37C. This study showed the ability of A. polyphaga to infected rats with keratitis through 14 days by applying 105 trophozoites for each rat. A. Polyphaga causing inflammation and severe necrosis in cornea stroma, spread amoeba has been noted in tissue section of rats eyes infected.
- Elder, M. J.; kilvington, S. and Dart, K. G. (1994). A clinicopathologic study of in vitro sensitivity testing and Acanthamoeba keratitis. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, Vol. 35, No. 3: 1059-1064.
- Garate, M. et al. (2004) Cloning and characterization of a novel mannose-binding protein of Acanthamoeba. J . Biol Chem 279 (28), 29849-29856.
- Gardner Har, matinez AJ, Visvesvara GS. (1991).Granulomatous amoebic Encephalitis in an AIDS patient. Neurology.41:1993-1995.
- Jiaxu, H.; Ji, J.; Xu, J.; Cao, W.; Liu,Z. and Sun, X. (2014). An unusual case of AcanthamoebaPolyphagaand Pseudomonas Aeruginosa keratitis. Diagnostic Pathology 2014, 9:105.
- Khan N. A. 2006. Acanthamoeba: biology and increasing importance in human health. FEMS Microbiology Reviews. 30(4):564-595.
- Meiyu Ren and Xinyi Wu. ( 2010 ). Evaluation of Three Different Methods to Establish animal Models of Acanthamoeba Keratitis. Yonsei Med J 51(1): 121-127, 2010.
- Niederkorn, J.Y. et al. (1992) Susceptibility of corneas from various animal species to in vitro binding and invasion by Acanthamoeba castellanii. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 33 (1), 104-11246.
- Niederkorn, J.Y. et al. (1999) the pathogenesis of Acanthamoeba keratitis. Microbes Infect 1 (6), 437-443.
- Niyyati M, Lorenzo-Morales J, Rezaie S, Rahimi F, Mohebali M, Maghsood AH, et al. Genotyping of Acanthamoeba isolates from clinical and environmental specimens in Iran. Exp Parasitol. 2009; 121(3):242–5.
- Page, F.C. (1967) Re-definition of the genus Acanthamoeba with descriptions of three species. J. Protozool 14 (4), 709-724.
- Ren , M. and Wu, X. (2010). Evaluation of Three Different Methods to Establish
- Animal Models of Acanthamoeba Keratitis. Yonsei Med J 51(1): 121-127.
- THOMAS K. Sawyer ( 2011). The Influence of Seawater Media on Growth and Encystmeiit of Acanthainoeba polyphaga. The Helminthological Society of Washington. Volume 37, number 2, July 1970.
- Yang, Z. et al. (1997) Pathogenesis of Acanthamoeba keratitis: carbohydrate-mediated host-parasite interactions. Infect. Immun. 65 (2), 439-445.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.