Author(s): N. Egesi, J. I. Nwosu
The study area (Igarra) has been variously studied and is still receiving attention from workers on basement geology. Some investors in the quarry industry still make error in the selection of site for development and production of crushed rocks and dimension stone. The Octopol quarry in Igarra area was abandoned largely due to scanty information on the mineralogy of the schist quarried to ascertain the quality of the rock. However, granites, granite gneisses, charnockites and marbles present in the area can be suitable for dimension stone production. The marble should not be cleaned with wet cloth as the water will react with the rock to form a weak acid which attacks the polished surface and decolourize it to a dull and uninteresting surface. There is need to involve geoscientists in dimension stone site selection and production to ensure that proper rock is chosen, and also for quality control as mining progress rock quality varies.
Crushed rocks/Dimension Stone, Site Selection, Quarry Industry, Igarra Area, Southwest Nigeria
- Annor, A. E. (1998). Structural and Chronological relationship between the low grade Igarra schist and its adjoining Okene migmatite-gneiss terrain in the Precambrian exposure of SW Nigeria. J. Min. Geol., 34 (2): 187 – 194.
- Ashmole, I. (2004) “Dimension Stone: The Small Scale Mining Potential in South Africa”, Paper presented at Small Scale Mining 2004, Johannesburg, 9 September 2004.
- Barton, W.R. (1968) Dimension stone: U.S. Bureau of Mines Information Circular 8391, 147 p.
- Blyth, F. G. H. and de Freitas, M. H. 2005. A Geology for Engineers. 7th Edition, p.166.
- Carvalho, J.F., Henriques, P., Fale, P., Luis, G. (2008) “Decision criteria for the exploration of ornamental-stone deposits: Application to the marbles of the Portuguese Estremoz Anticline”, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences (2008), doi:10.1016/j.ijrmms.
- Egesi, N. and Tse, A. C. (2011) Dimension stone: Exploration, Evaluation Exploitation in southwest parts of Oban Massif, southeastern Nigeria, Journal of Geology and Mining Research vol 3(4), pp115-122.
- Egesi, N. and Ukaegbu, V. U. (2013) Dimension Stone and Deveolpment in Boki Area Southeastern Nigeria. J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Manage. Vol. 17 (3) 343 – 354.
- Geological Survey of Nigeria (GSN) 1986. Instruction to authors of reports Bulletin.
- Jones HA, and Hockey RD (1964). The Geology of part of Southwestern Nigeria; Geological Survey of Nig. Bull, 31: 101-104.
- Hora, Z.D. (2007) ‘Dimension Stone "Marble" RO4”, in Selected British Columbia Mineral Deposit Profiles, British Columbia Geological Survey, Victoria, B.C., Canada, 2007.
- Megwara, V. I. 2016. Petrology and Structural Geology of Lankpeshi area of Igarra Schist belt, Southwestern Nigeria. Unpubd M.Sc Dissertation UPH.
- Merke, G. (2000) Sustainable development in the natural stone industry”, Roc Maquina, June 2000, pp 56-58.
- Minnes, D.G, Lefond, J and Blair, R. (1983) Nepheline syenite, Industrial minerals and rocks, 5th edition,AIME, New York, p981.
- Odeyemi, I. B. (1976) Preliminary report on field relationships of the Basement Complex rocks around Igarra, Mid-West. In Geology of Nigeria. C. A. Kogbe (ed.) Lagos: Elizabethan Pub. Co., p. 59-63.
- Odeyemi, I. B. (1982) Areview of the orogenic events in the Precambrian basement of Nigeria, West Africa. Geol. Rundsch., 70: 897 – 909.
- Rahaman, N. M. (1976): Review of the Basement Geology of Southwestern Nigeria, in Geology of Nigeria edited by C.A Kogbe pp 41-58 Elizabethan Publ. Co. Lagos , Nigeria
- Sutphin, D.M, and Orris, G.J., 2007 “Dimension Stone”, in Preliminary Non-Fuel Mineral Resource Assessment of Afghanistan, Peters, S.G. et al (eds), United States Geological Survey Open-File Report 2007-1214, pp677-702.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.