Oligodendrocyte progenitor cells play an important role in the formation of myelin sheath and the protection of neurons. After the action of 6- hydroxy dopamine on primary oligodendrocyte progenitor cells, elevated iron regulatory proteins resulted in an increase in Transferrin Receptor-1 and a decrease in Ferroportin-1 in oligodendrocyte progenitor cells.The extracellular iron entering cells is mediated by TfR1 endocytosis. As the expression of Transferrin Receptor-1 increases, the large number of extracellular iron moves into oligodendrocyte progenitors, but the expression of Ferroportin-1 was decreased, the intracellular iron turnover decreased, increase of iron content in the cell. 6-hydroxydopamine acts on oligodendrocyte progenitor cells leading to changes in intracellular iron metabolism, so that oligodendrocyte progenitor cells increased iron content.
6-hydroxydopamine, Primary Oligodendrocyte Precursor, IRP1, FPN1, TfR1
- Pantopoulos, K., et al., Abnormal Brain Iron Metabolism in Irp2 Deficient Mice Is Associated with Mild Neurological and Behavioral Impairments. PLoS ONE, 2014. 9(6): p. e98072.
- Rouault, T.A., Iron metabolism in the CNS: implications for neurodegenerative diseases. Nat Rev Neurosci, 2013. 14(8): p. 551-64.
- Dusek, P., J. Jankovic, and W. Le, Iron dysregulation in movement disorders. Neurobiol Dis, 2012. 46(1): p. 1-18.
- Zhu, Y., et al., Iron accumulation and microglia activation contribute to substantia nigra hyperechogenicity in the 6-OHDA-induced rat model of Parkinson's disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord, 2017. 36: p. 76-82.
- Hirsch, E.C., Iron transport in Parkinson's disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord, 2009. 15 Suppl 3: p. S209-11.
- Tauheed, A.M., J.O. Ayo, and M.U. Kawu, Regulation of oligodendrocyte differentiation: Insights and approaches for the management of neurodegenerative disease. Pathophysiology, 2016. 23(3): p. 203-10.
- Cavaliere, F., et al., Oligodendrocyte differentiation from adult multipotent stem cells is modulated by glutamate. Cell Death Dis, 2012. 3: p. e268.
- Poliak, S. and E. Peles, The local differentiation of myelinated axons at nodes of Ranvier. Nat Rev Neurosci, 2003. 4(12): p. 968-80.
- Fernandez-Castaneda, A. and A. Gaultier, Adult oligodendrocyte progenitor cells - Multifaceted regulators of the CNS in health and disease. Brain Behav Immun, 2016. 57: p. 1-7.
- Michalski, J.P. and R. Kothary, Oligodendrocytes in a Nutshell. Front Cell Neurosci, 2015. 9: p. 340.
- Annese, V., et al., Evidence of oligodendrogliosis in 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP)-induced Parkinsonism. Neuropathology and Applied Neurobiology, 2013. 39(2): p. 132-143.
- Marro, S., et al., Heme controls ferroportin1 (FPN1) transcription involving Bach1, Nrf2 and a MARE/ARE sequence motif at position −7007 of the FPN1 promoter. Haematologica, 2010. 95(8): p. 1261-8.
- Milczarek, A., et al., A drastic superoxide-dependent oxidative stress is prerequisite for the down-regulation of IRP1: Insights from studies on SOD1-deficient mice and macrophages treated with paraquat. PLoS One, 2017. 12(5).
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.