In the present study, 277 couples were randomly collected from Basra population who have at least two live births and below 60 years of age to study of ABO blood groups compatibility and incompatibility among Basra families. It has been shown that the incidence of compatible matings (51.625%) higher than incompatible matings (48.375%). The study has been revealed the spontaneous abortion and stillbirth were slightly higher in couples with incompatible (11.889%)(2.797%) as a compared with compatible couples (10.778%)(2.333). While the incidence of living births higher in compatible matings (86.889%) than incompatible matings (85.315%). study came to a conclusion that there is an increase in the number of spontaneous abortions and stillbirth among B wife and AB husband couples and followed by O wife and AB husband incompatible couples (35.294),(20.833%) respectively.
ABO Blood Group, Compatibility, Incompatibility, Spontaneous Abortions, Stillbirth
- Abdollahi, E.; Tavasolian, F.; Ghasemi N . ; Vakili, M . ; Amini, A . (2013). The effect of parental ABO blood group on fetal surveillance Iranian Journal of Pediatric Hematology Oncology .3.(4)
- Akgül, S.; Ayşe, K.; Şule, Y. and Murat Y.(2013). Neonatal hyperbilirubinemia due to ABO incompatibility: does blood group matter.The Turkish Journal of Pediatrics .55: 506-509
- Bandyopadhyay, A.; Chatterjee, D. and Chatterjee, M.(2011) .Maternal Fetal Interaction in the ABO System: A Comparative Analysis of Healthy Mother and Couples with Spontaneous Abortion in Bengalee Population. Am J Hum Biol. 23:76–9.
- Behrman, S.; Buettner-Janusch, J.; Heglar, R.;Gershowitz, H.; Tew, W. (1960). ABO (H) blood incompatibility as a cause of infertility: a new concept. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 79: 847-55.
- Berberovic, L.; Redzic, A. and Sosic, B.(2004). Impact of ABO blood groups on the fertility of different parental pairs. Bosn. J. Basic Med. Sci. 4:19–24.
- Cummings M. (1997) .Human heredity. West / Wadsworth.4th ed.p64. Enugu, Nigeria. Nigerian J. Physiol. Scien. 19: 7-9.
- Dibby, H.(2015). Blood Group and Infertility Relationship. Medical Journal of Babylon 12:2 .
- Ganitha, G.; Bhumkar, S. and huvaneswari, J.(2012). Association of ABO Blood Groups and Infertility. I. J. HSR. 2(5): 72-7.
- Gareer, P.; foerrster,J. ;Rodgers,G. (2008). Wintrobe's Clinical Hematology,12th edtion :632
- Ghasemi, N.; Sheikhha, M.; Davar, R.and Soleimanian, S. (2011).ABO Bloods group incompatibility in recurrent abortion. I.J. P. H O. 1(2): 62-66
- Harmening, M. and Firestone, D. (2005). The ABO blood group system. In: Harmening, M.N. (ed). Modern Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices.5th ed. Davis Company, Philadelphia, USA. P: 108-132.
- Hiraizumi Y, Spradlin CT, Ito R, Anderson S.(1973). Frequency of prenatal deaths and its relationship to the ABO blood groups in man. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 25(4):362.
- Hoff ,C. and Bixler, C. ( 1986) .Maternal- fetal ABO/ Rh antigenic relationship and human fetal development. Am. J. Obset. Gynecolo.154:126-12
- Hosoi, E. (2008). Biological and clinical aspects of ABO blood group system. J. Med. Invest. 55(3-4):174-82.
- Kneib ,M. ;Hamon, I.and Miton, A. (2002).Management of severe neonatal Rh disease following in utero exchange transfusion: towards a new strategy. Arch. Pediatr. 9:1078–82.
- Lewis,R.(2007).Human genetics concept and application .McGrawHill . 7th ed.New York.:97-98.
- Madlon-kay D.(1993). The clinical significance of ABO blood group incompatibility.Arch.Fam.Med.2(3):285-7.
- Mehta, P.(2009). Wintrobe's Clinical Hematology. JAMA. (22)302:2493-2488.
- Mercier, C. ;Barry, S. and Paul K.(2007). Improving newborn preventive services at the birth hospitalization. Pediatric .120:481-488.
- Mohanty, R. and Das, PK.(2010). A Search for Operation of Natural Selection in ABO Blood Groups: Evidences from Four Ethnic Groups of Orissa. Anthropologist. 12:1–11.
- Nazarabadi,MH.; Shekouhi,S. and Seif, N . (2012). The Incidence of Spontaneous Abortion in Mothers with Blood Group O Compared with other Blood Types.Int .J. Mol. Cell Med. 1(2): 99–104.
- Nneli, R. O; Ekpo, B. O.; Ohaeri, O. C. and Egene, J. (2004). Prevalence of Rh and ABO blood groups in HIV positive pregnant women .
- Prasad B, Lalit A, Sharma NC. (2015) .Distribution of ABO blood group among fertile and infertile males in central India: a pilot study. Int J Med Sci Public Health;4:1708-1710
- Pandey, BN.; Jha, AK.and Sinha, MK.(1997).Study of blood groups in selction to reproductive performance among muslim pf Purnia Division. J Hum. Ecol.8:233-286.
- Ruggi, A. ;Amante,G.; Meloni,A. and Bottani, E.(2001).A comparative analysis of healthy mothers and couples with recurrent spontaneous abortion suggest a protective effect of B incompatibility .Hum Biol.73(2).167-174.
- Sandra ,M. ;Rebica,N. and Marica, I.(2008). Addressing hemolysis in an infant due to mother –infant ABO blood incompatibility.JMA .96:183-188.
- Soni,N. and Mukherjee,B.(2009).A study on foetal wastage and ABO blood groups incompatibility among the Gonads of Garriyaband,Chhattisgarh,India.Anthropologist.11(3):229-231.
- Stoll, B.and Kleigman R.(2007).The fetus and the neonatal infant : Behrman R.E., Kleigman R.M.,Jensen H.B Nelson Text book of pediatrics.18th ed.Philadelphia .W .B .Saunders:761-772.
- Takano,K. and Miller, J R.(1972) .ABO incompatibility as a cause of spontaneous abortion: evidence from abortuses. J. Med. Genet. 9(2): 144–150.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.