Teachers have to deal with several obstacles and difficulties in their everyday practice. As research relieves and it is also shown from everyday educational practice, effective management of such issues for both teachers and the school system cannot be undertaken separately by each teacher. Support from a mentor, a teacher with professional experience and knowledge, as well as specific relational and communitive skills and abilities, are needed. In this paper the teachers’ perceptions on the advisory role of the mentor in the context of the school unit is investigated. In order to explore the perceptions of the teachers, empirical research was carried out using questionnaires and interviews with primary educators in the prefectures of Achaia and Heraklion, Crete. The results of the investigation show that effective exercise of the role of the mentor requires a variety of skills and competences such as readiness for assistance, availability of supply, open communication, empathy, active listening, conflict resolution, etc. The acquisition and development of these skills and competences can be achieved through continuous training and mentoring in the context of the implementation of training programs to support the work of the educators.
Mentoring, Mentor, Mentee, School Unit
- Cho,S., Ramanan, A. & Feldman,,D. (2011). Defining the ideal qualities of mentorship: A qualitative analysis of the characteristics of outstanding mentors. The American Journal of Medicine, 124, (5), 453-458. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2010.12.007
- Cohen, L. & Manion, L.(1994). Methodology of Educational Research. Athens: Metaixchio(In Greek).
- Collin, A. (1988 ). Mentoring, Industrial and Commercial Training, 20 (2), 23-27. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/eb004099.
- Cunningham, J. B. & Eberle, T. (1993). Characteristics of the Mentoring Experience: A Qualitative Study. Personnel Review, 22 (4), 54-66. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/00483489310042699.
- Dimitropoulos, E. (2001). Introduction to Scientific Research Methodology. Athens: Greek Letters (In Greek).
- Fragoulis, I & Balkanos, E. (2011). The contribution of mentoring to adult education: Exploring adult educator perceptions regarding the use of mentoring in the context of their educational project in: Lifelong Learning: Interdisciplinary Approaches, Thessaloniki: University of Macedonia Publications (In Greek).
- Fragoulis, I.(2013). The use of mentoring in adult education, educational material for the scientific counselors of the Lifelong Learning Centers, Patras: Hellenic Open University (In Greek).
- Kefalas, A. (2005).The transition or succession process, available at:www.terry.uga.edu/~akefalas.
- Kriwas, S. (2012). Teacher training program in mentoring, training materials, Patras: Department of Primary Education, University of Patras (In Greek).
- Kyriazi, N. (1999). Sociological research. Critical review of methods and techniques. Athens: Hellenic Letters (In Greek).
- McKimm, J.,Jollie C.&Hatter, M. (2003). Mentoring: Theory and Practice. NHSE: Imperial College School of Medicine.
- Mihiotis, S, Bradoudakis, G, Adamopoulos, A, Gouklas, D, Nikiforaki, K. & Oikonomou, Κ.(2006). Σχεδιασμός και ανάπτυξη συστήματος Mentoring, Αθήνα: Προοπτική.
- Papastamatis, A.(2010). Adult Education for Vulnerable Social Groups, Thessaloniki: I. Sideris (In Greek).
- Rajuan, M. & Verloop N. (2007). The role of the cooperating teacher: bridging the gap between the expectations of cooperating teachers and student teachers. Mentoring & Tutoring, 15 (3),223–242. DOI: https://doi.org 10.1080/13611260701201703.
- Scandura, T, Tejeda, M, Werther,W.& Lankau, M. (1996). Perspectives on mentoring, Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 17 (3), 50–56. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/01437739610117019.
- Tang,Y. & Choi, P. (2005). Connecting theory and practice in mentor preparation: mentoring for the improvement of teaching and learning. Mentoring and Tutoring,13 (3), 383–401.
- Ζarkovic Adleši, B, Bizjak, C.(2000). Perspectives and Features of Mentoring. The National Education Institute Slovenia,http://mint-mentor.net/en/pdfs/Features-Brigita-neu.pdf.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.