Author(s): Yan-ting Liu, Jing Yu, Hong-wei Wang, Xiao-ling Yu
Objective To investigate the mechanism of curcumin administration on gastric emptying induced by L-arginine in mice. Methods Kunming male mice were divided into control group, curcumin group, L-arginine group and curcumin L-arginine combination group.There were nine mice in each group. The curcumin group and curcumin L-arginine combination group were treated with curcumin solution once a day for 15 days. From the 11th day onwards, the L-arginine group and the curcumin L-arginine combination group were given intragastric administration of L-arginine once a day for 5 days. The other groups were given solvent solution as control. The gastric emptying rate, NO content and nitric oxide synthase (NOS) activity in gastric tissue were measured after fasting for 24 hours. Results There was no significant difference between single curcumin group and the control group (P>0.05). But the gastric emptying rate in L-arginine group was significantly lower (P<0.01), the NO and the activity of NOS in stomach tissue was significantly higher (P<0.01) than that in the control group. The gastric emptying rate in curcumin L-arginine combination group was significantly higher (P<0.01), the NO content and the activity of NOS in gastric tissue was significantly higher (P<0.01) than that in L-arginine group. Conclusion curcumin can inhibit the production of no by inhibiting the NOS activity of gastric tissue, and then improve the gastric emptying of mice.
Curcumin, L-arginine, Gastric Emptying
- Si Q, Huang L, Gong J, et al. Efficacy and safety of turmeric and curcumin in lowering blood lipid levels in patients with cardiovascular risk factors: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials[J]. Nutrition Journal, 2017, 16(1):68-83.
- Feng T, Wei Y, Lee R J, et al. Liposomal curcumin and its application in cancer.[J]. International Journal of Nanomedicine, 2017, 12:6027-6044.
- Yu J, Xu W H, Sun W, et al. Curcumin Alleviates the Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders of Mice In Vivo[J]. Journal of Medicinal Food, 2017，20(12):1176-1183.
- Xu Z, Liang H, Zhang M, et al. Ardipusilloside-I stimulates gastrointestinal motility and phosphorylation of smooth muscle myosin by myosin light chain kinase[J]. Korean J Physiol Pharmacol, 2017, 21(6):609-616.
- NAGPURE BV, BIAN JS. Interaction of Hydrogen sulfide with nitric oxide in the cardiovascular system[J]. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity, 2016，2016(2):1-16.
- Sesarman A, Tefas L, Sylvester B, et al. Anti-angiogenic and anti-inflammatory effects of long-circulating liposomes co-encapsulating curcumin and doxorubicin on C26 murine colon cancer cells[J]. Pharmacol Rep,2017,70(2):331-339.
- Judaki A, Rahmani A, Feizi J, et al. CURCUMIN IN COMBINATION WITH TRIPLE THERAPY REGIMES AMELIORATES OXIDATIVE STRESS AND HISTOPATHOLOGIC CHANGES IN CHRONIC GASTRITIS-ASSOCIATED HELICOBACTER PYLORI INFECTION[J]. Arquivos De Gastroenterologia, 2017,54(3):177-182.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.