Ecotourism has been identified as one of the tourism’s subsector that is fastest growing globally. Ecotourism offers opportunity to the local people in learning and using the area as attractions for the tourists. It’s not only sustain the conservation of the environment, but also improve the welfare of local people, especially people staying within the area. The direct involvement of local community in management of resources area will encourage them to appreciate the value of the resources and fight against any form of misuse or encroachment, as they have the sense of the belonging and responsibility to the area. Thailand is one of rich flora, fauna and cultural diversity country and becoming one of the popular ecotourism destination. According to the definition by the National Parks Act, Thailand has 154 national parks covering an area of 6.24 million hectares, includes both terrestrial and marine parks such as the highest land of Thailand “Doi Inthanon National Park”. This paper highlights the involvement of local community in Doi Inthanon National Park, where there are 9,792 residents living within the national park. Currently, there are four villages has been involved directly in the ecotourism activities of the Doi Inthanon National Park. However, there are no coordination among the groups that involved in the ecotourism activities, which may lead to unsustainable and confuse among the tourist. Realizing that problem, this paper recommends that relevant authorities to coordinate and help local community by providing guidance and capacity building.
- Academic of Doi Inthanon National Park. (2016). Population Inside and Border Doi Inthanon National Park.Inthanon National Park,March 16th 2016.
- Agbor Elvis Ekwale. (2014). An Assessment of Local Community Involvement in Community Based Ecotourism Planning and Development: The Case of Takamanda National Park. South West Region, Cameroon.Eastern Mediterranean University.
- Artit Chokwiriyawanit,Panya Mangeb,Tippawan Limanggoon. (2013). Participatory Community-Based Tourism Managementof Luangprot-Thanlium Community,Ladkrabang District,Bangkok.King Mongkut's Agricultural Journal.31:2 (47-57)
- Chen Bang Jie. (2016). The Study on Community Participation Model of Ecotourism in Community Conservation Area, Yun Nan University.
- Climatological Center. (2016). Annual Weather Summary over Thailand in 2015 . Meteorological Development Bureau,10 February 2016.
- Climatological Center, Meteorological Development Bureau Meteorological Department, Thailand. (2015). The Climate of Thailand Meteorological Development Bureau.
- Cohen, J, & N. Uphoff. (1980). Participation’s place in rural development: Seeking clarity through specificity. World Dev. 8:213–235.
- Community Development Project.(2015).Information of Ban Phamon Ban Luang Sub-district Chomthong District Chiangmai.PTT Group.
- Cullinane Thomas, C., and L. Koontz. (2017). The 2016 National Park Visitor Spending Effects: Economic Contributions to Local Communities, States, and the Nation. Natural Resource Report NPS/NRSS/EQD/NRR—2017/1421. National Park Service, Fort Collins, Colorado.
- Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation. (2012). 50 Years Thailand’s National Park.Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation,Bangkok.
- Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation. (2017). National Park Area 2016.
- Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation. http://park.dnp.go.th/visitor/nationparkshow.php?PTA_CODE=1006 [Accessed January 8th 2018]
- Department of Lands. (2017).http://nam.dol.go.th/Pages/internet.aspx[Accessed February 8th 2018)
- George C.Ruhle,Ph.D.(1964). Advisory Report on a National Park System for Thailand 1959-1960. Special Publication No.17 American Committee for International Wildlife Protection. New York.
- IUCN and Kuoni. (2012). Integrating Business Skills into Ecotourism Operations. Switzerland, IU CN and Kuoni.
- Jamal, T. & Stronza, A. (2009). Collaboration Theory and Tourism Practice in Protected Areas: Stakeholders, Structuring and Sustainability. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 17:169-189.
- James Higham (Ed). (2007). Critical Issues in Ecotourism:Understanding a Complex Tourism Phenomenon.Butterworth-Heinemann,America.
- National Park Act 1961, amendment 1989. (1989). Office of the Council of State.January 14th 1989.
- National Park Act 1961. (1961). Office of the Council of State. September 22nd 1961.
- National park office. (2017). The National Park’s revenue of visitors and vehicles 2017. http://portal.dnp.go.th/Content/nationalpark?contentId=3719 [Accessed January 8th 2018]
- National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department. (2010). Kao Yai National Park Planning Model Report.
- National Park Office. (2017). http://portal.dnp.go.th/DNP/FileSystem/download?uuid=8ce5f3db-b2d5-4296-adcd-0c1a84fdcca8.pdf [Accessed October 9th2017]
- Office of the Forest Land Management. (2016). Forest Area in 1973-2015.Royal Forest Department.
- Royal Project Foundation. (2017). http://www.thairoyalprojecttour.com/?p=1438 [Accessed January 8th 2018]
- Royal-Inthanon. (no year).King's Multifarious Duties in Inthanon. Royal Project Foundation.
- Sheryl Ross and Geoffrey Wall. (1999). Ecotourism:towards congruence between theory and practice. Tourism Management.
- Songtham Suksawang et al. (2017). National Park Integrated Planning 2018-2022.Sector of National Park Research and Development.Department of National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation.
- Songsak Sulsawang and Komkrit Satebubpha .(2017). Operation of Protected Area Committee Participation in Conservation Areas.Catalyzing Sustainability of Thailand’s Protected Area System(CATSPA). Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation.
- The National Parks Conservation Club. (1951). Field marshal Sirit Thanarat Hitory of National Park and Wildlife Act1908-1951. National Park 55 Thailand.http://www.nationalparkthailand.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=539934875.[Accessed August 21,2016]
- The Regulation of National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department. (2008). The Rules of National Park’s Revenue Management.
- The 16th Conservation Area Administration Office. (2011). Doi Inthanon National Park Information.Department of National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation.
- United Nation Association of Greater Boston. (no year). Thailand: Information from the CIA World Factbook https://msmunatunagb.wikispaces.com/file/view/Thailand.pdf
- Wiwik Mahdayani. (2012). Ecotourism in the NationaI Parks of Thailand. DESMA Center, Indonesia.
- Yu Peng Fei. (2009). The Demonstration Research on Ecotourism Based on Community Participation :Case Study on Shuimogou Community, Xinjiang Normal University.
- Zhang yu jie. (2008). Analyzes on our country eco-tourism.northeastern university.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.