Author(s): Walter Sutter, Marius Meier, Sebastian Berger, Klaudio Pauli, Fabian Arnosti, Vanessa Werth, Dritan Turhani
Sinus floor augmentation is an effective method to regain bone height for the successful insertion of dental implants into the posterior maxilla. The aim of the study was to evaluate the behaviour of augmentation material following simultaneous or staged dental implant insertion, as visible on digital panoramic radiographs using the GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP). We evaluated one-stage (group 1) or two-stage (group 2) maxillary sinus floor augmentation procedures in 19 patients, using a high temperature-treated bovine porous hydroxyapatite material. Digital panoramic radiographic measurements were captured pre-operatively in both groups, pre-implant insertion in group 2, and immediately postoperatively and 6 months postoperatively in both groups. Forty parallel-walled bone-level implants were placed in a one-stage (n=18) or two-stage (n=22) protocol, with a mean residual bone height of 4.9±1.8 mm and survival rate of 100%. Mean bone height increased by 8.6±1.6 mm immediately post-implantation and by 7.9±1.7 mm after 6 months. Mean distal and mesial bone losses after abutment connection were 0.42±0.24 mm and 0.34±0.27 mm, respectively. No significant intergroup or intragroup differences between simultaneous and staged dental implant procedures were found. Our results show that the histogram tool in GIMP is useful for documentation of the area of the augmentation material used in maxillary sinus floor augmentation.
Dental Implants, Radiographic Image Interpretation, Computer-Assisted, GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP), Sinus Floor Augmentation
- Al-Nawas B, Schiegnitz E: Augmentation procedures using bone substitute materials or autogenous bone - a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Oral Implantol 7 Suppl 2: S219-34, 2014.
- Alyona c: Application of analysis approach in Noise Estimation in Panoramic X- rays images using image processing program (MatLab).
- Alzahrani AA, Murriky A, Shafik S: Influence of platelet rich fibrin on post-extraction socket healing: A clinical and radiographic study. The Saudi Dental Journal, 2017.
- Azevedo AdCS, Alves NZ, Michel-Crosato E, Rocha M, Cameriere R et al.: Dental age estimation in a Brazilian adult population using Cameriere's method. Braz Oral Res 29, 2015.
- Boyne PJ, James RA: Grafting of the maxillary sinus floor with autogenous marrow and bone. J Oral Surg 38: 613 616, 1980.
- Carolina Sparavigna A: An Image Processing Approach Based on Gnu Image Manipulation Program Gimp to the Panoramic Radiography. ijSciences 1: 57 67, 2015.
- Checchi L, Felice P, Antonini ES, Cosci F, Pellegrino G et al.: Crestal sinus lift for implant rehabilitation: A randomised clinical trial comparing the Cosci and the Summers techniques. A preliminary report on complications and patient preference. Eur J Oral Implantol 3: 221 232, 2010.
- Chiapasco M, Rossi A, Motta JJ, Crescentini M: Spontaneous bone regeneration after enucleation of large mandibular cysts: A radiographic computed analysis of 27 consecutive cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 58: 942-8; discussion 949, 2000.
- Cosso MG, Brito RB de, Piattelli A, Shibli JA, Zenóbio EG: Volumetric dimensional changes of autogenous bone and the mixture of hydroxyapatite and autogenous bone graft in humans maxillary sinus augmentation. A multislice tomographic study. Clin Oral Implants Res 25: 1251 1256, 2014.
- Danesh-Sani SA, Loomer PM, Wallace SS: A comprehensive clinical review of maxillary sinus floor elevation: Anatomy, techniques, biomaterials and complications. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 54: 724 730, 2016.
- Degidi M, Daprile G, Piattelli A: Primary stability determination of implants inserted in sinus augmented sites: 1-step versus 2-step procedure. Implant Dent 22: 530 533, 2013.
- Del Fabbro M, Rosano G, Taschieri S: Implant survival rates after maxillary sinus augmentation. Eur J Oral Sci 116: 497 506, 2008.
- Delilbasi C, Gurler G: Comparison of piezosurgery and conventional rotative instruments in direct sinus lifting. Implant Dent 22: 662 665, 2013.
- E. Jung R, Zembic A, Pjetursson BE, Zwahlen M, S. Thoma D: Systematic review of the survival rate and the incidence of biological, technical, and aesthetic complications of single crowns on implants reported in longitudinal studies with a mean follow-up of 5 years. Clin. Oral Implants Res. 23: 2 21, 2012.
- Esposito M, Felice P, Worthington HV: Interventions for replacing missing teeth: Augmentation procedures of the maxillary sinus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev: CD008397, 2014.
- Favato MN, Vidigal BCL, Cosso MG, Manzi FR, Shibli JA et al.: Impact of human maxillary sinus volume on grafts dimensional changes used in maxillary sinus augmentation: a multislice tomographic study. Clin Oral Implants Res 26: 1450 1455, 2015.
- Felice P, Pistilli R, Piattelli M, Soardi E, Barausse C et al.: 1-stage versus 2-stage lateral sinus lift procedures: 1-year post-loading results of a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Eur J Oral Implantol 7: 65 75, 2014.
- Friedland B, Metson R: A guide to recognizing maxillary sinus pathology and for deciding on further preoperative assessment prior to maxillary sinus augmentation. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 34: 807 815, 2014.
- Garg AK, Quinones CR: Augmentation of the maxillary sinus: A surgical technique. Pract Periodontics Aesthet Dent 9: 211-9; quiz 220, 1997.
- Harris D, Horner K, Grondahl K, Jacobs R, Helmrot E et al.: E.A.O. guidelines for the use of diagnostic imaging in implant dentistry 2011. A consensus workshop organized by the European Association for Osseointegration at the Medical University of Warsaw. Clin Oral Implants Res 23: 1243 1253, 2012.
- Hieu P-D, Chung J-H, Yim S-B, Hong K-S: A radiographical study on the changes in height of grafting materials after sinus lift: a comparison between two types of xenogenic materials. J Periodontal Implant Sci 40: 25 32, 2010.
- Hoppe CB, Baldissera RdS, Scarparo RK, Kopper PMP, Fontanella VRC et al.: A new assessment methodology to evaluate the radiopacity of endodontic filling materials. (Keine Angabe), 2013.
- Jacobs R, Esposito M: Editorial: On peri-implant bone level measures: To see or not to see, that is the question. Eur J Oral Implantol 9 Suppl 1: 119 121, 2016.
- Kahnberg K-E, Wallström M, Rasmusson L: Local sinus lift for single-tooth implant. I: clinical and radiographic follow-up. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 13: 231 237, 2011.
- Kielbassa AM, Ulrich I, Werth VD, Schüller C, Frank W et al.: External and internal resin infiltration of natural proximal subsurface caries lesions: A valuable enhancement of the internal tunnel restoration. Quintessence Int 48: 357 368, 2017.
- Kim TG, Lee YS, Kim YP, Park YP, Cheon MW Study on image processing of panoramic X-ray using deviation improvement software, 2014; 22: 361–368.
- Kirmeier R, Payer M, Wehrschuetz M, Jakse N, Platzer S et al.: Evaluation of three-dimensional changes after sinus floor augmentation with different grafting materials. Clin Oral Implants Res 19: 366 372, 2008.
- Lin C-y, Cao L-h, Wang J-w, Zheng W, Chen Y et al.: Ultrasonic spectrum analysis for in vivo characterization of tumor microstructural changes in the evaluation of tumor response to chemotherapy using diagnostic ultrasound. BMC Cancer 13: 302, 2013.
- McLaren EA, Figueira J, Goldstein RE: A Technique Using Calibrated Photography and Photoshop for Accurate Shade Analysis and Communication. Compend Contin Educ Dent 38: 106 113, 2017.
- Meshram VS, Lambade PN, Meshram PV, Kadu A, Tiwari MS: The autologous platelet rich fibrin: A novel approach in osseous regeneration after cystic enucleation: A pilot study. Indian J Dent Res 26: 560 564, 2015.
- Nyström E, Kahnberg KE, Albrektsson T: Treatment of the severely resorbed maxillae with bone graft and titanium implants: histologic review of autopsy specimens. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 8: 167 172, 1993.
- Papageorgiou SN, Papageorgiou PN, Deschner J, Gotz W: Comparative effectiveness of natural and synthetic bone grafts in oral and maxillofacial surgery prior to insertion of dental implants: Systematic review and network meta-analysis of parallel and cluster randomized controlled trials. J Dent 48: 1 8, 2016.
- Pjetursson BE, Thoma D, Jung R, Zwahlen M, Zembic A: A systematic review of the survival and complication rates of implant-supported fixed dental prostheses (FDPs) after a mean observation period of at least 5 years. Clin Oral Implants Res 23 Suppl 6: 22 38, 2012.
- Ramachandran A, Singh K, Rao J, Mishra N, Jurel SK et al.: Changes in alveolar bone density around immediate functionally and nonfunctionally loaded implants. J Prosthet Dent 115: 712 717, 2016.
- Rasmusson L, Thor A, Sennerby L: Stability evaluation of implants integrated in grafted and nongrafted maxillary bone: a clinical study from implant placement to abutment connection. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res 14: 61 66, 2012.
- Requena-Mendez A, Aldasoro E, Munoz J, Moore DAJ: Robust and Reproducible Quantification of the Extent of Chest Radiographic Abnormalities (And It's Free!). PLoS One 10: e0128044, 2015.
- Schonberger T, Kasten P, Fechner K, Sudkamp NP, Pearce S et al.: Novel software-based and validated evaluation method for objective quantification of bone regeneration in experimental bone defects. Z Orthop Unfall 148: 19 25, 2010.
- Shanbhag S, Shanbhag V, Stavropoulos A: Volume changes of maxillary sinus augmentations over time: A systematic review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 29: 881 892, 2014.
- Si M-S, Shou Y-W, Shi Y-T, Yang G-L, Wang H-M et al.: Long-term outcomes of osteotome sinus floor elevation without bone grafts: A clinical retrospective study of 4-9 years. Clin Oral Implants Res 27: 1392 1400, 2016.
- Si M-S, Zhuang L-f, Gu Y-x, Mo J-j, Qiao S-c et al.: Osteotome sinus floor elevation with or without grafting: A 3-year randomized controlled clinical trial. J Clin Periodontol 40: 396 403, 2013.
- Silva Ld, Lima VN de, Faverani LP, Mendonca MR de, Okamoto R et al.: Maxillary sinus lift surgery-with or without graft material? A systematic review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45: 1570 1576, 2016.
- Solomon RW: Free and open source software for the manipulation of digital images. AJR Am J Roentgenol 192: W330-4, 2009.
- Suarez-Lopez Del Amo F, Ortega-Oller I, Catena A, Monje A, Khoshkam V et al.: Effect of barrier membranes on the outcomes of maxillary sinus floor augmentation: A meta-analysis of histomorphometric outcomes. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 30: 607 618, 2015.
- Summers RB: A new concept in maxillary implant surgery: The osteotome technique. Compendium 15: 152, 154-6, 158 passim; quiz 162, 1994.
- Varma DR: Managing DICOM images: Tips and tricks for the radiologist. Indian J Radiol Imaging 22: 4 13, 2012.
- Wallace SS, Froum SJ: Effect of maxillary sinus augmentation on the survival of endosseous dental implants. A systematic review. Ann Periodontol 8: 328 343, 2003.
- Wanschitz F, Figl M, Wagner A, Rolf E: Measurement of volume changes after sinus floor augmentation with a phycogenic hydroxyapatite. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 21: 433 438, 2006.
- Wu J, Li B, Lin X: Histological outcomes of sinus augmentation for dental implants with calcium phosphate or deproteinized bovine bone: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 45: 1471 1477, 2016.
- Zanjani VA, Ghasemi A, Torabzadeh H, Jamali M, Razmavar S et al.: Bleaching effect of ozone on pigmented teeth. Dent Res J (Isfahan) 12: 20 24, 2015.
- Zijderveld SA, Schulten EAJM, Aartman IHA, Bruggenkate CM ten: Long-term changes in graft height after maxillary sinus floor elevation with different grafting materials: radiographic evaluation with a minimum follow-up of 4.5 years. Clin Oral Implants Res 20: 691 700, 2009.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.