Author(s): Pan Noymany, Anoulom Vilayphone, Viengsamone Thammavong, Soukkongseng Saingaleuth, Houngphet Chanthavong
The paper aims to examine plant species diversity, density, and distribution in different altitudinal zones of Bolikhamxay Province, Central Lao PDR. We conducted an inventory to collect the data from a total of 10 sampling plots from five villages of four districts of Bolikhamxay Province situated at different geographical locations with different above mean sea level. The analysis revealed that the Shannon diversity index was diverse in all sites. We found approximately 55 plant species with circumference of greater than 94 cm in the sampling plot 40x40m and 43 plant species with circumference of 32-93 cm in the sampling plot 20x20 m. We also found 40 different plant species in the sampling plot 10x10m when tree species has circumference of 4-31 cm. In small sampling plots 2x2m, we found 43 plant species which are plant species with circumference of less than 3 cm (height of 0.3-1.5m) and non-timber forest products (NTFPs). Overall, there were high variations in relative density, density, species richness, litter decomposition, and soil hardness in the study area and it can be concluded that the study area has diverse plants species and different geographical habitats of trees.
- Dalmayne, J., T. Möckel, et al. (2013). "Assessment of fine-scale plant species beta diversity using WorldView-2 satellite spectral dissimilarity." Ecological Informatics 18: 1-9.
- Devi, U. and N. Behera (2003). "ASSESSMENT OF PLANT DIVERSITY IN RESPONSE TO FOREST DEGRADATION IN A TROPICAL DRY DECIDUOUS FOREST OF EASTERN GHATS IN ORISSA." Journal of Tropical Forest Science 15(1): 147-163.
- Hayat, M. S. A., K. A. Kudus, et al. (2010). "Assessment of Plant Species Diversity at Pasir Tengkorak Forest Reserve, Langkawi Island, Malaysia." Journal of Agricultural Science 2(1).
- Kent, M. and P. Coker (1992). Vegetation Description and Analysis: A Practical Approach. Chichester, John Wiley & Sons.
- Mittermeier, R. A., P. Robles-Gil, et al. (2004). Hotspots Revisited: Earth's Biologically Richest and Most Endangered Ecoregions. Mexico City, Mexico, CEMEX.
- Peng, Y., M. Fan, et al. (2018). "Assessment of plant species diversity based on hyperspectral indices at a fine scale." Scientific Reports 8(1): 4776.
- Phimmavong, S., B. Ozarska, et al. (2009). "Forest and plantation development in Laos: history, development and impact for rural communities." International Forestry Review 11(4): 501-513.
- Stanisci, A., G. Pelino, et al. (2005). "Vascular plant diversity and climate change in the alpine belt of the central Apennines (Italy)." Biodiversity & Conservation 14(6): 1301-1318.
- Tagane, S., P. Souladeth, et al. (2018). "FLORA OF NAM KADING NATIONAL PROTECTED AREA II: 30 NEW RECORDS OF ANGIOSPERMS FOR LAOS." Edinburgh Journal of Botany 75(1): 107-116.
- Zhu, H. (2017). "Floristic characteristics and affinities in Lao PDR, with a reference to the biogeography of the Indochina peninsula " PLoS ONE 12(6).
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.