As 21st century learners, teleconferencing is a tool for modern tele-learning which allows learners and trainers who are at two or more remote locations not only to exchange views or to share data but to actively participate in a dynamic interactive environment, the main feature of which is the collaborative building of knowledge from a distance, in real time. Teleconferencing is a tool that can help provide quality teaching and learning. It creates opportunities for cooperative learning processes with interaction while incorporating all its functions. The purpose of this paper is to present the theoretical approaches of efficacy as they can be used with the concepts of interaction and efficiency in the contemporary teleconferencing environment.
Interaction, Effectiveness, Teleconference
- Abrami, P. C., Bernard, R. M., Bures, E. M., Borokhovski, E., & Tamim, R. M. (2011). Interaction in distance education and online learning: Using evidence and theory to improve practice. Journal of Computing in Higher Education, 23(2-3), 82-103. Retrieved from the internet on March 17, 2018 from: http://www.anitacrawley.net/Resources/Articles/Abrami%20Interaction.pdf
- Alexander, W., Higgison, C., & Mogey, N. (Eds.). (1999). Videoconferencing in teaching and learning: Case studies. LTDI and TALiSMAN, Institute of Computer-Based Learning. Heriot-Watt University Edinburgh, SCT., Retrieved from the internet on March 10, 2018 from: http://www.icbl.hw.ac.uk/ltdi/vcstudies/vcstudies-all.pdf
- Alqurashi, E. (2017). Self-Efficacy and the Interaction Model as Predictors of Student Satisfaction and Perceived Learning in Online Learning Environments (Doctoral dissertation, Duquesne University). Retrieved from the internet on March 10, 2018 from: https://dsc.duq.edu/etd/194
- Anastasiades, P. (2007). The educational use of interactive teleconference in the modern school: Socio constructivist approach. In A. Lionarakis (ed.) Proceedings of 4th International Conference in Open and Distance Learning – Forms of Democracy in Education: Open Access and Distance Education, Section B, pp.668-681. Retrieved from the internet on March 5, 2018 from: http://www.edc.uoc.gr/~panas/MAster%20Athens%20Projects%201/6.%20%20Blended%20Learning/2.%20Anastasiades%20Paper%20EAP%202007.pdf
- Anastasiades et al., (2012). The pedagogical use of videoconferencing in elementary school: the interaction environment. In Ch. Karagiannidis et al (ed.). Proceedings of 8th Conference ICT in Education. Retrieved from the internet on March 5, 2018 from: http://www.etpe.gr/custom/pdf/etpe1970.pdf
- Armakolas, S., Panagiotakopoulos, C., Fragoulis, I. (2014). The distance learning of courses between branches of ASPETE. Using the Flashmeeting digital platform. In Proceedings of the 9th Pan-Hellenic Conference with International Participation "Information and Communication Technologies in Education", University of Crete, pp. 451-458.
- Armakolas, S., Panagiotakopoulos, C., Karatrantou, A. (2018). Teleconference in support of autonomous learning. European Journal of Open, Distance and E-learning (forthcoming)
- Armakolas, S., Panagiotakopoulos, Ch., Vasilopoulou, G. (2014). The Learning Environment in a Virtual Videoconference Classroom and Transforming Learning. In Proceedings of the 9th Panhellenic Conference "Greek Pedagogical and Educational Research", vol. A, pp. 339-353, University of Western Macedonia, ed.
- Bernard, R. M., & Lundgren-Cayrol, K. (2001). Computer conferencing: An environment for collaborative project-based learning in distance education. Educational Research and Evaluation, 7(2-3), 241-261. Retrieved from the internet on March 17, 2018 from: https://aprender.ead.unb.br/pluginfile.php/66885/mod_folder/content/0/32.pdf?forcedownload=1
- Bernard, R. M., Abrami, P. C., Borokhovski, E., Wade, C. A., Tamim, R. M., Surkes, M. A., & Bethel, E. C. (2009). A meta-analysis of three types of interaction treatments in distance education. Review of Educational research, 79(3), 1243-1289. Retrieved from the internet on March 6, 2018 from: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Bernard/publication/249798035_A_Meta-Analysis_of_Three_Types_of_Interaction_Treatments_in_Distance_Education/links/556db19708aeccd7773da1f6.pdf
- British Educational Communications and Technology Agency (Becta) (2003). What the research says about video conferencing in teaching and learning. From the Becta’s What the Research Says series. Retrieved from the internet on March 17, 2018 from: http://39lu337z51l1zjr1i1ntpio4.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/wtrs_08_video_conferencing.pdf
- Cavanaugh, M. A., Milkovich, G. T., & Tang, J. (2000). The effective use of multimedia distance learning technology: The role of technology self-efficacy, attitudes, reliability, use and distance in a global multimedia distance learning classroom. (CAHRS Working Paper #00-01). Ithaca, NY: Cornell University, School of Industrial and Labor Relations, Center for Advanced Human Resource Studies. Retrieved from the internet on March 5, 2018 from: https://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://scholar.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1079&context=cahrswp
- Danesh, A., Bailey, A., & Whisenand, T. (2015). Technology and instructor-interface interaction in distance education. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 6(2). Retrieved from the internet on March 10, 2018 from: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/April_Bailey2/publication/320335540_Technology_and_Instructor-Interface_Interaction_in_Distance_Education/links/59de5ebca6fdcca0d32043f5/Technology-and-Instructor-Interface-Interaction-in-Distance-Education.pdf
- Garrison, D. R., Anderson, T., & Archer, W. (2003). A theory of critical inquiry in online distance education. Handbook of distance education, 1, 113-127.
- Gillies, D. (2008). Student perspectives on videoconferencing in teacher education at a distance. Distance Education, 29(1), 107-118. Retrieved from the internet on March 17, 2018 from: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7111/38838a95ed731f8930032ec626da21b6b428.pdf
- Greenberg, A., & Colbert, R. (2004). Navigating the sea of research on video conferencing-based distance education. Wainhouse Research, LLC. Retrieved from the internet on March 10, 2018 from: http://educationforministry.org/pdfs/Best_Practice_Papers_in_Polyco.pdf
- Gunawardena, C. (1999). The Challenge of Designing and Evaluating" Interaction" in Web-Based Distance Education. Retrieved from the internet on March 9, 2018 from: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED448718.pdf
- Hazel, J. (1999). Desktop Videoconferencing: Novelty or Legitimate Teaching Tool? Retrieved from the internet on March 26, 2018 from: http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/curr120.shtml
- Heath, M. J., Holznagel, D., Deford, K., & Dimock, K. V. (2002). Interactive videoconferencing: A literature review. Retrieved from the internet on March 17, 2018 from: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download;jsessionid=B51654E35B903328D74198FB010CFE90?doi=10.1.1.115.5893&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Israel, M., Knowlton, E., Griswold, D., & Rowland, A. (2009). Applications of video-conferencing technology in special education teacher preparation. Journal of Special Education Technology, 24(1), 15-25. Retrieved from the internet on March 17, 2018 from: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Maya_Israel/publication/234563082_Applications_of_Video-Conferencing_Technology_in_Special_Education_Teacher_Preparation/links/56c9d2d908aee3cee53f8e36.pdf
- Karagianni, E., Stauropoulou, S. & Karatrantou, A. (2010). The didactic use of Videoconferencing in Technical Education with the "Click to Meet tool". In Proceedings of 2nd Pan-Hellenic Educational Conference. Retrieved from the internet on March 16, 2018 from: https://www.ekped.gr/praktika10/web/147.pdf
- Karal, H., Ayça, Ç. E. B. I., & Yigit, E. T. (2011). Perceptions of students who take synchronous courses through video conferencing about distance education. TOJET: The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 10(4). Retrieved from the internet on March 4, 2018 from: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ946636.pdf
- Kasselidis, A. & Politis, D., (2006). Combining the tools of synchronous and asynchronous teleconferencing into learning networks. In Proceedings of 5th International Conference ICT in Education. Retrieved from the internet on March 10, 2018 from: http://www.etpe.gr/custom/pdf/etpe1205.pdf
- Keegan, D. (2001). The basic principles of open and distance learning. Athens. Metechmio
- Kotopouli, G., Mpasmatzidis, G., Koutli, M. & Kasidaki, S. (2007). The role of teleconference in Distance learning, University of Athens. Retrieved from the internet on March 5, 2018 from: http://pse.primedu.uoa.gr/foitites/garifalia_kotopouli/Ergasies/anastasiades.pdf
- Lawson, T., & Comber, C. (2014). Videoconferencing and learning in the classroom: the effects of being an Orphan Technology?. Ανακτήθηκε στις 3 Μαρτίου 2018 από: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5f74/22112e6aa6c8e444b86c0f19a9339ac3878c.pdf
- Mauroeidis, H., Gkiosos, I. & Koutsoumpa, M. (2014). Overview of theoretical concepts in distance education. The Journal for Open and Distance Education and Educational Technology, 10(1), 88-100. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.12681/jode.9814
- Milioritsas, E. & Georgiadi, E., (2009). Effect of teleconference on the learning process of the ΗΟU Students΄ and teachers΄ views of the EWC 65 - EU 50. Ιn Proceedings of International Conference of Open and Distance Learning, 5, 2Α 111-126. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12681/icodl.470
- Moore, M. G. (1989). Three types of interaction. Retrieved from the internet on March 17, 2018 from: http://aris.teluq.uquebec.ca/portals/598/t3_moore1989.pdf
- Mouzakis, X., Balaouras, P., Roussakis I. & Mathaiou D. (2004). Utilization of synchronous teleconference for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. In Proceedings of 4th International Conference ICT in Education. Retrieved from the internet on March 6, 2018 from: http://www.etpe.gr/custom/pdf/etpe102.pdf
- Nguyen, T. (2015). The effectiveness of online learning: Beyond no significant difference and future horizons. Merlot- Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, Vol.11 (No2), 309-319. Retrieved from the internet on March 8, 2018, from http://jolt.merlot.org/Vol11no2/Nguyen_0615.pdf
- Panagiotakopoulos, C., Lionarakis, A., & Xenos, M. (2003). Open and Distance Learning: Tools of Information and Communication Technologies for Effective Learning. In Proceedings of the Sixth Hellenic-European Conference on Computer Mathematics and its Applications, HERCMA 2003(pp. 25-27). Retrieved from the internet on March 3, 2018 from: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.414.2825&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Panagiotakopoulos, C., Tsiatsos, T., Lionarakis A., Tzanakos N. (2013). Teleconference in support of distance learning: Views of educators. Open Education - The Journal for Open and Distance Education and Educational Technology, 9, 1, 5-18.
- Panagiotidou, A. & Zisi, A., (2015). The implementation of the basic principles of adult education and enhance the interaction of the teachers΄ education. Educ@tional Circle. 3(1), ISSN: 2241-4576, 125-138. Retrieved from the internet on March 10, 2018 from: http://journal.educircle.gr/images/teuxos/2015/teuxos1/8.pdf
- Phipps, R., & Merisotis, J. (1999). What's the difference? A review of contemporary research on the effectiveness of distance learning in higher education. Retrieved from the internet on March 10, 2018 from: https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED429524
- Smyth, R. (2005). Broadband videoconferencing as a tool for learner‐centred distance learning in higher education. British Journal of Educational Technology, 36(5), 805-820. Retrieved from the internet on March 11, 2018 from: http://anitacrawley.net/Resources/Articles/Smyth2005%20learner%20centered%20engagement%20ID%20when%20to%20use%20syn.pdf
- Sofos, A., Kostas, A. & Parasxou, B., (2015). Online distance learning. Athens. Retrieved from the internet on March 9, 2018 from: http://hdl.handle.net/11419/182
- Su, B., Bonk, C. J., Magjuka, R. J., Liu, X., & Lee, S. H. (2005). The importance of interaction in web-based education: A program-level case study of online MBA courses. Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 4(1), 1-19. Retrieved from the internet on March 17, 2018 from: https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/33428738/4.1.1.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIWOWYYGZ2Y53UL3A&Expires=1522059113&Signature=NAkeDsORAiuNcxVz5wYISwY6kUs%3D&response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3DThe_Importance_of_Interaction_in_Web-Bas.pdf
- Suthers, D. D. (2001, January). Collaborative representations: Supporting face to face and online knowledge-building discourse. In System Sciences, 2001. Proceedings of the 34th Annual Hawaii International Conference on (pp. 10-pp). IEEE. Retrieved from the internet on March 9, 2018 from: https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/10125/22906/1/Suthers-HICSS-2001.pdf
- Swan, K. (2003). Learning effectiveness online: What the research tells us. Elements of quality online education, practice and direction, 4(1), 13-47. Retrieved from the internet on March 7, 2018 from: http://virtualchalkdust.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Swan-Learning-Effectiveness-Online.pdf
- Tsatsaki, E., Veneri, E., (2009). A case study of the modern teleconference at TEI of Crete. Views of the students about the synchronous teleconference and evaluation of the implementation of trial teleconferences between the Foundation's Annexes. TEI Crete. Retrieved from the internet on May 5, 2018 from: https://apothesis.lib.teicrete.gr/handle/11713/3092
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.