Author(s): Ting Liu, Miao Yu, Dongmeng Qian, Ming Hu, Bin Wang
Human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) can induce malignant transformation of tumor cells and inhibit tumor cell apoptosis, but whether the key immediate regulatory protein IE86 encoded by HCMV plays a key role in this process remains unknown. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of IE86 on p21 expression of glioblastoma cells in genetically modified glioblastoma mice. The expression of IE86 in genetically modified mice was identified by PCR. Transgenic mice were tumor-bearing by glioma cell line GL261. The expression of p21 protein was detected by Western blot. The results showed that the IE86 gene-modified mouse model was successfully constructed. Compared with the IE86-negative group, the expression level of p21 was decreased in the IE86-positive group. The above results indicate that IE86 is continuously expressed in genetically modified mice, but the indicator p21 of p53 transcriptional activity is downregulated, and this suggests that IE86 can increase the anti-apoptotic ability of malignant glioma cells.
Human cytomegalovirus, Transgenic Mice, IE86, p21
- Castillo, J.P. and T.F. Kowalik, Human cytomegalovirus immediate early proteins and cell growth control. Gene, 2002. 290(1-2): p. 19-34.
- Montague, M.G. and C.A. Hutchison, 3rd, Gene content phylogeny of herpesviruses. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 2000. 97(10): p. 5334-9.
- Cinatl, J., et al., Molecular mechanisms of the modulatory effects of HCMV infection in tumor cell biology. Trends Mol Med, 2004. 10(1): p. 19-23.
- Cruz, L., et al., Potent Inhibition of Human Cytomegalovirus by Modulation of Cellular SNARE Syntaxin 5. J Virol, 2017. 91(1).
- Wang, Z.F., et al., Cx43 and NMDA receptors changes in UL122 genetically modified mice hippocampus: a mechanism for spatial memory impairment. International Journal Of Clinical And Experimental Pathology, 2018. 11(1): p. 129-137.
- Hagemeier, C., et al., The human cytomegalovirus 80-kilodalton but not the 72-kilodalton immediate-early protein transactivates heterologous promoters in a TATA box-dependent mechanism and interacts directly with TFIID. J Virol, 1992. 66(7): p. 4452-6.
- Fortunato, E.A., et al., Identification of domains within the human cytomegalovirus major immediate-early 86-kilodalton protein and the retinoblastoma protein required for physical and functional interaction with each other. Journal Of Virology, 1997. 71(11): p. 8176-8185.
- Liao, X.H., et al., Human cytomegalovirus immediate early protein 2 enhances myocardin-mediated survival of rat aortic smooth muscle cells. Virus Res, 2014. 192: p. 85-91.
- Price, R.L. and E.A. Chiocca, Modeling cytomegalovirus infection in mouse tumor models. Front Oncol, 2015. 5: p. 61.
- Pines, J. and C.L. Rieder, Re-staging mitosis: a contemporary view of mitotic progression. Nature Cell Biology, 2001. 3(1): p. E3-E6.
- Calvisi, D.F., et al., NORE1A Tumor Suppressor Candidate Modulates p21(CIP1) via p53. Cancer Research, 2009. 69(11): p. 4629-4637.
- Thaler, S., A. Schad, and R. Dammann, RASSF1A mediates p21Cip1/Waf1-dependent cell cycle arrest and senescence through modulation of the Raf-MEK-ERK pathway and inhibition of Akt in vitro and in a double-conditional xenograft model. Cancer Research, 2009. 69.
- Niculescu, A.B., 3rd, et al., Effects of p21(Cip1/Waf1) at both the G1/S and the G2/M cell cycle transitions: pRb is a critical determinant in blocking DNA replication and in preventing endoreduplication. Mol Cell Biol, 1998. 18(1): p. 629-43.
- Stein, J.P., et al., Effect of p21WAF1/CIP1 expression on tumor progression in bladder cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 1998. 90(14): p. 1072-9.
- Cai, K. and B.D. Dynlacht, Activity and nature of p21(WAF1) complexes during the cell cycle. Proceedings Of the National Academy Of Sciences Of the United States Of America, 1998. 95(21): p. 12254-12259.
- Parker, S.B., et al., p53-independent expression of p21Cip1 in muscle and other terminally differentiating cells. Science, 1995. 267(5200): p. 1024-7.
- Shi, B., et al., Inhibition of HIV early replication by the p53 and its downstream gene p21. Virol J, 2018. 15(1): p. 53.
- Wang, X.H., et al., Human Cytomegalovirus Infection Promotes the Stemness of U251 Glioma Cells. Journal Of Medical Virology, 2017. 89(5): p. 878-886.
- Harris, S.M., et al., Functional properties of the human cytomegalovirus IE86 protein required for transcriptional regulation and virus replication. J Virol, 2010. 84(17): p. 8839-48.
- Hsu, C.H., et al., HCMV IE2-mediated inhibition of HAT activity downregulates p53 function. Embo Journal, 2004. 23(11): p. 2269-2280.
- Kwon, Y., et al., Inhibition of p53 transcriptional activity by human cytomegalovirus UL44. Microbiol Immunol, 2012. 56(5): p. 324-31.
- Zhang, Q., et al., Atypical role of sprouty in p21 dependent inhibition of cell proliferation in colorectal cancer. Mol Carcinog, 2016. 55(9): p. 1355-68.
- Tsao, Y.P., et al., Human papillomavirus type 11 and 16 E5 represses p21(WafI/SdiI/CipI) gene expression in fibroblasts and keratinocytes. J Virol, 1996. 70(11): p. 7535-9.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.