Author(s): Usang Akedor, Ekeng Ita, Boniface Ati, Victoria Okon, Michael Adegbenro
A fundamental aspect of child growth is playfare hence toys come in handy. Cognitive development in children is largely a product of quality engagement at playtime (Alfred, 2015). The ability of microbes to colonize the hands and in extension everything or object it contacts is legendary (Usang,2013). Twenty toys commonly used by children were sampled from ten (10) nursery and Creche Schools in Calabar Metropolis. Toys from four (4) schools were found to harbor pathogenic microbes suggesting their potency as vehicles of disease transmission disease causing microbes isolated range between bacteria and fungi amongst which are Escherichia Coli; Staphylococcus aureus, Proteus Spp, and Candida Albicans. The study has established the ability of toys to convey disease causing microbes, if healthy sanitary conditions are not regularly maintained, hence the recommendations for the need for proper hygiene among school children and children handlers or teachers teaching of regular handwashing protocol to children of school growing age and regular sanitization of hand held toys amongst others.
- Alyssa Vivas, Bizu Gelaye, Nigusu Aboset Abera Kumie, Yemune Berhane and Michelle A. Williams (2011) Journal of Preventive Medicine and Hygiene. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.
- Barrie D., et al. contamination of hospital lien by Baccillus cereus. Epidemio infect. 1994 Oct; 113 92): 297-306 (PMC free article) (pubmed)
- Bettye M, Caldwd (2017). Importance of toys in early childhood development. Article http://www.fisher price/.com/en-US/patenting-articles/playtime-and toys/importance-of-play-inearly-childhood education.
- CDC-Lice-HeadLice – General Information-Malathia FAQS (2015). http://www.cdc.gov.General information.
- Christine E. Stauber, Adams Walters, Anna Fabis Zewski & Mark D. Sobey (2013) Bacterial Contamination Household Toys and Assoc. with H2o Sanitary fellowship.
- Christine E. Stauber, Adams Walters, Anna Fabiszewki and Mark D. Sobey (2013). Bacterial Contamination on House Condition in Honduras. International Journal of Environmental Research
- Curtis VA, Danquah LO, Aunger RV. (2001): Planned, Motivated and Habitual Hygiene behavior on Eleven Country Review. Health Educ. Res. 2009; 4:655-673.
- Ellen Goldbaum (2013). News Center. University at Buffal. email@example.com
- Etiene Benson (2006). Childhood parenting. https: //www.psychologicalscience.org/tag/sociocultural-factors.
- Jeffrey Goldstain (2 012). Play in Children’s Development Health and wellbeing. Oxford University Press.
- Kenneth, R. Ginsburg (2011). Raising resilient children and teens. American Academy of Pediactrics 3rd edition.
- Carleton Kendrick (2016). The importance of toys http://www.familyeducation.com
- Monica Cheesbrough (2000). Laboratory Practice in Tropical Countries.
- Rhame FS. The inanimate environment in Hospital infections: beneth JV, Branchman ps. editors. Little Brown and company (Inc) 3rd edition 1992. pp-299-33.
- Usang, Akedor I. (2013). Project Thesis on the Public Health Implication of Microbial Contamination of ATM Keypads in Calabar Metropolis.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.