Mangrove Forest is well known with the mangrove tree that can withstand waves from the sea and even Tsunami. That has happened in Sri Lanka in 2004 where many villages at the mangrove area safe and the number of death reduced. However, this mangrove forest nowadays threatened by the human activities. Therefore, the study was carried out to determine the water quality index (WQI) of Jarum Mas river which near to the agriculture area and to compare the water quality during low and high tide. There were 30 samples of water taken during Jun and July at 5 stations along Jarum Mas river. The data collections were collected based on the six WQI parameters; Ammoniacal nitrogen (NH3-N), Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD), Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD), Dissolved Oxygen (DO), pH, Total Suspended Solids (TSS) with other five parameters; Electrical Conductivity (EC), Turbidity, Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), Salinity and Temperature. The results for each parameter are summarized as follow; NH3-N range (4.3-4.85 mg/l), BOD range (1.5-4.2 mg/l), COD range (1095-1405 mg/l), DO range (2.27-4.91 mg/l), pH range (6.86-6.98), TSS range (48.33-70.5mg/l), EC range (33.04-38.7 mS/cm), turbidity range (19.38-26 NTU), TDS range (20.07-22.69 mg/l), salinity range (19.5-22.03 PSU), temperature range (28.25-29.35 oC). The WQI of Jarum Mas River is Class III which need extensive treatment for water supply and only common economic value for fishery based on Water Quality Index (WQI) and Interim National Water Quality Standards for Malaysia (INWQS) by Department of Environmental Malaysia.
Water Quality, Mangrove Forest, Physico-chemical Parameters, Low and High Tide
- Alongi, D. M. (2008). Mangrove forests: resilience, protection from tsunamis, and responses to global climate change. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 76(1), 1-13.
- APHA (American Public Health Association).2005. Standard methods for the Examination of water and wastewater. 21st Edn. Washington, DC: American Public Health Association.
- Clean Water Team (CWT) 2004. Electrical conductivity/salinity Fact Sheet, FS-18.104.22.168(EC). in: The Clean Water Team Guidance Compendium for Watershed Monitoring and Assessment, Version 2.0. Division of Water Quality, California State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB), Sacramento, CA
- DOE (Department of Environment). 2009. Water Quality (River) monitoring system/programme and pollution control. Hashim Daud (Director, Water and Marine Division). Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment.
- EPA (Environmental Protection Agency), Aquatic Life Ambient Water Quality Criteria for Ammonia – Freshwater (2013). Available at http://water.epa.gov/scitech/swguidance/standards/criteria/aqlife/ammonia/index.cfm. Accessed on August 17, 2015.
- Gippel, C. J. (1995). Potential of turbidity monitoring for measuring the transport of suspended solids in streams. Hydrological processes, 9(1), 83-97.
- Holmes-Farley, R. What is TDS? Reefkeeping. 2004, 4. Available at www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/rhf/feature/. Accessed on Oct 15, 2015.
- Latiff, A. (2012). Conservation strategies for endangered mangrove swamp forests in Malaysia. Pakistan J Bot, 44, 27-36.
- Liu, L., Ji, H., Liu, Y., & Xin, H. (2005). Chemical oxygen demand of seawater determined with a microwave heating method. Journal of Ocean University of China, 4(2), 152-156.
- Manssour, K., & Al-Mufti, B. (2010). Influence of Industrial, Agricultural and Sewage Water Discharges on Eutrophication of Quttina Lake. Jordan Journal of Civil Engineering, 4(4).
- Rahman, M. M., Rahman, T. M., Rahaman, M. S., Rahman, F., Ahmad, J. U., Shakera, B., & Halim, M. A. (2013). Water quality of the world’s largest mangrove forest. Can Chem Trans, 1(2), 141-156.
- USEPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency). 2011. Water > Water Pollutants. Available at http://www.epa.gov/ebtpages/wastewaterpollutants.html. Accessed on September 23, 2015.
- Wheeler, D. L., Church, D. M., Federhen, S., Lash, A. E., Madden, T. L., Pontius, J. U., & Wagner, L. (2003). Database resources of the National Center for Biotechnology. Nucleic acids research, 31(1), 28-33.
- WWF (World Wide Fund). 2013. Mangrove Forest. Available at http://www.wwf.org.my/. Accessed on September 8, 2015.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.