Adult Nile Tiapia, Oreochromis niloticus was exposed to Jatropha curcas seed powder, a multipurpose plant used for demarcation, boundaries and the seeds for biodiesel and traditional medication. The histological alteration of the gill, skin and liver were studied at sub-lethal concentration of 133.3,200, 266.7, 333.3, 400 and 0 as control. The pathological lesions observed on the gill are Lamella degeneration, Hyperthrophy of the gill arc and severe necrosis of gill filament, Submucosal Congestion, Severe erosion of the secondary lamellae and cartilage at the base. The lesions on the skin are necrosis, dermal cell erosion and cellular infiltration by mononuclear cells. In the liver, moderate degeneration of periportal, diffuse vacuolation of hepatocytes and congested portal area were observed. The alteration on each of the organ became severe with increase in concentration of Jatropha curcas seed powder.
Histology, Gill, Skin, Liver, Nile Tilapia, Jatropha curcas
- Abalaka, A. L and Auta J. (2010): Toxicity of Aqueous and Ethanol Extracts of Parkia biglobosa Pods on Clarias gariepinus Juveniles. Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances,Vol. 9 Issue 6, 2010. Pg 1068-1072.
- APHA, (1987) : Standard method for examination of wastewater and water (17th ed. Washington D. C ) 8910 Pp.
- Ayotunde, E.O, Fagbenro, O.A and Adebayo,O.T (2011a): Histological Changes in Oreochromis niloticus (Linnaeus I779) Exposed to Aqueous Extract of Moringa oleifera Seeds Powder. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 11: 37-43.
- Ayotunde, E.O., Offem, B.O and Bekeh, A.F.(2011b): Toxicity of Carica papaya Linn: Haematological and Piscicidal Effect on adult Catfish (Clarias gariepinus) Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, 6: 291-308.
- Das, B.K. and Mukherjee, S. (2000): A histopathological study of carp (Labeo rohita) exposed to hexachlorocyclohexane. Veterinarski Arhiv. 70 (4):169-180.
- Devappa, R.K.,Makkar,H.P.S and Becker,K.(2010a): Quality of biodiesel prepared from phorbol Ester extracted Jatropha curcas oil. J.Am.OilChem.Soc.87,697–704.
- Devappa,R.K.,Makkar,H.P.S and Becker,K.,(2010b): Nutritional, biochemical, and pharmaceutical Potential of proteins and peptides from Jatropha: review. J. Agric. Food Chem. 58,6543–6555.
- Devappa, R.K., Rajesh, S.K., Kumar V., Makkar, H. P.S. and Becker, K. (2011): Activities of Jatropha curcas phorbol esters in various bioassays. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. doi:10.1016/j.ecoenv.2011.11.002.
- Fagbenro, O.A (2002) : Tilapia: Fish for thought. Inaugural lecture series 32. Delivered at Federal University of Technology, Akure. Pp.77.
- GEXSI, (2008): Availablefrom /http://www.Jatropha-platform.org/documents/GEXSI Global-Jatropha-Study_FULL-REPORT.pdfS.
- Giro´n-Pe´rez M.I., Santene, A., Gonzalez-jaime, F., Casas-solis, J., Hernandez-coronado, M., Peregrina-sandoval, J., Takemura A. and Zaitseva, G (2007): Immunotoxicity and hepatic function evaluation in Nile tilapia cells (Oreochromis niloticus) exposed to diazinon. In fish and shellfish immunology 23 (2007) 760-769.
- Gubitz, G.M., Mittelbach, M., Trabi, M., (1999): Exploitation of the tropical oil seed plant Jatropha curcas L. Bioresour. Technol. 67, 73–82.
- Haas, W., Strerk, H and Mittelbach, M.(2002): Novel12-deoxy-16-hydroxyphorbol diesters isolates from the seed oil of Jatropha curcas. J.Nat.Prod.65, 1434–1440.
- Henning, R.,( 1997): Fuel Production Improves Food Production: The Jatropha Project in Mali. Proceedings from the symposium Jatropha 97, Managua, Nicaragua
- Hughes, G. M., and Perry, S. F (1976): Morphometric study of trout gills: A light microscopic method for the evaluation of pollutant action. J. Exp. Bio., 63: 447-460
- Koesoemadinata, S., (2000): Acute toxicity of the insecticide formulation of endosulphan, chlorpyrifos and chlorofluazuron to three freshwater fish species and freshwater giant prawn. J. Penelitian Perlikan Indonesia, 4: 36-43.
- Lindesjöö, E. and Thulin, J (1994): Histopathology of skin and gills of fish in pulp mill effluents. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms.18: 81-93.
- Makkar, H.P.S., Becker, K., Schmook, B., (1998): Edible provenances of Jatropha curcas from Quintana Roo state of Mexico and effect of roasting on antinutrient and toxic factors in seeds. Plant Foods Hum. Nutr. 52, 31–36.
- Makkar, H.P.S., Becker, K.,( 2009): Jatropha curcas, a promising crop for the generation of biodiesel and value-added coproducts. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 111,773–787.
- Obomanu, F.G., Ogbalu, O.K., Gabriel, U.U., Fekarurhobo, S.G.K. and Abadi, S.U (2007): Piscicidal effects of Lepidagathis alopecuroides on Mudskipper, Periothalmus papillio from the Niger Delta. Research Journal of Applied Sciences. 2 (4): 382-387.
- Rakshit K.,Sanjay, K.R, Vikas Kumar,HarinderP.S.Makkarand KlausBecker (2011):Activities of Jatropha curcas phorbol esters in various bioassays. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety .
- Reish, D. J. and Oshida, P. S. (1986): Manual of methods in aquaticenvironment research. Part 10. Short term static bioassays. FAO Fish Tech. Pap. (247), 62.
- Silitonga, A. S., Atabani, A.E., Mahlia,T.M.I., Masjuki, H.H., Badruddin, I.A and Mekhilef, S. (2011): A review on prospect of Jatropha curcas for biodiesel in Indonesia. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 15 (2011) 3733–3756.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.