Priapism is urological emergency that consists of a prolonged erection for more than four hours, independently of sexual stimulation. Due to its low incidence, the pidemiology is not fully known. The aim of the present study was to investigate the clinical and sociodemographic profile of patients with priapism treated at a university hospital. A retrospective, cross-sectional study was conducted involving the records of patients with priapism treated at an emergency urological service between January 2011 and August 2018. The variables analyzed were age, ethnicity, marital status, previous adverse health conditions, the use of recreational drugs and the number of visits to the hospital by each patient. Forty-two patients with priapism were studied, totaling 178 hospital visits. The analysis of the charts revealed age ranging from 15 to 85 years, with the majority of cases (72%) occurring between 20 and 50 years of age. Regarding ethnicity and marital status, 64% were self-declared white, 22% were self-declared black, 43% were married and 33% were single. Approximately 52% of the patients (n = 22) had a previous adverse health condition. Among these individuals, eight (36%) had a blood disease, the most frequent of which was sickle cell anemia (n = 5; 62.5%). Eleven (26%) patients reported using recreational drugs and 74% made no use of drugs. Analyzing the number of hospital visits per patient, 57% were treated for a single episode and 43% (n = 18) returned more than once to the urological emergency service with the same condition. Based on the present findings obtained from a university hospital, sickle cell anemia was the most frequent condition among the patients. No significant association was found between the use of recreational drugs and the occurrence of priapism. The most affected age group was 20 to 40 years, with a predominance of white, married men.
Erectile Dysfunction, Ischemic, Non-Ischemic, Priapism
- Silveira JCT, Hachul M. Priapismo: urgência urológica que pode causar disfunção erétil. Emergência clínica 2011;6:106-108.
- Hernández Cruz, FJ. Priapismo. Arch Hosp Univ General Calixto García 2015;3:2.
- Eland IA, van der Lei J, Stricker BH, Sturkenboom MJ. Incidence of priapism in the general population. Urology 2001;57:970-972.
- Reddy AG, Alzweri LM, Gabrielson AT, Leinwand G, Hellstrom WJG. Role of penile prosthesis in priapism: a review. World J Mens Health 2018;36:4-14.
- Song PH, Moon KH. Priapism: current updates in clinical management. Korean J Urol 2013;54:816-823.
- Villegas J, Corchuelo C, Cuevas A, Medina R. Priapismo isquémico como presentación de leucemia mieloide crónica. Arch Esp Urol 2014;67:708-711.
- Montague DK, Jarow J, Broderick GA, Dmochowski RR, Heaton JP, Lue TF, et al. Members of the Erectile Dysfunction Guideline Update Panel; American Urological Association. American Urological Association Guideline on the management of priapism. J Urol 2003;170:1318-1324.
- Rodríguez Villalba R, Garcia S, Puigvert Martínez A, Pomerol I Montseny JM, Munárriz R. Priapism. Actas Urol Esp 2005;29:961-968.
- Facio FN, Ayres D, Spessoto LCF. Priapismo: novas estratégias de tratamento. Arq H Ellis 2010;6:16-19.
- Vicari P, Figueiredo MS. Priapismo na doença falciforme. Rev Bras Hematol Hemoter 2007;29:275-278.
- Muneer A, Alnajjar HM, Ralph D. Recent advances in the management of priapism. F1000 Research 2018, 7(F1000 Faculty Ver):37 Last Updated: 2018.
- Hatzimouratidis K, Giuliano F, Moncada I, Muneer A, Salonia A, Verze P. EAU Guidelines on erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, penile curvature and priapism. EAU Guidelines, 2016.
- Diretrizes Guia de Bolso: Uma Referência Rápida para os Urologistas. 2017 American Urological Association Education and Research. Priapismo, 2010.
- Manjunath AS, Hofer MD. Urologic emergencies. Med Clin North Am 2018;102:373-385.
- Nardozza Jr A, Campos RSM, Ruiz S. MANU: Manual de urologia 2010.
- São Paulo: PlanMark; 2010.
- Levey HR, Kutlu O, Bivalacqua TJ. Medical management of ischemic stuttering priapism: a contemporary review of the literature. Asian J Androl 2012;14:156-163.
- Ferreira V, Matos A, Carvalho LF, Azevendo N, Reis D, Loureiro L, et al. Treatment of ischemic priapism with Grayhack surgery: case report. Angiol Cir Vasc 2016;12:211-213.
- Felix AA, Souza HM, Ribeiro SBF. Aspectos epidemiológicos e sociais da doença falciforme. Rev Bras Hematol Hemoter 2010;32:203-208.
- AlDallal S, AlDallal N, Alam A. Sickle cell-induced ischemic priapism. Cogent Med 2016;3:1.
- Castro MO, Meléndez BJE, Pedro SIE, Mirabal FA, Rodríguez MA. Epidemiological, diagnostic and therapeutical characterization of patients with priapism. MediSan 2015;19:1238-1247.
- Sönmez MG, Öztürk Sönmez L, Taşkapu H, Kara C, Dündar Z, Göğer Y, et al. Etiological factors and management in priapism patients and attitude of emergency physicians. Arch Ital Urol Androl 2017;89:203-207.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.