To explore whether the antarctic krill oil has an impact on astaxanthin ester absorption process, provide scientific basis and theoretical support for the development and application of Antarctic krill oil in functional food or special medical food. Methods: 150 Wistar male rats were randomly divided into 5 groups: blank control group, 0.208g oil/kg.bw Antarctic krill oil group, 1.25mg/kg body wt of astaxanthin group, 1.25mg/kg body wt of astaxanthin+0.208g oil/kg.bw Antarctic krill oil group and 1.25mg/kg body wt of astaxanthin+0.208g oil/kg.bw Fish oil group.Samples were collected at ten time points(0, 0.5,1,2,4,8,10,12,16,24h) after administering a single oral dose corresponding to rats via the intragastric gavage mode and the astaxanthin concentrations in samples were detected using Hplc.Results: The maximum concentration of astaxanthin in the serum of ASTA- krill oil group was delayed by 6 h compared with the ASTA group. The highest concentration of ASTA- krill oil group in serum was was 5.3 times of ASTA- Fish oil group, which was 8.4 times that of ASTA group. The serum AUC values of ASTA-krill oil group,the ASTA group and the ASTA-Fish oil group were 108.39±2.34ug∙h/L, 14.35±0.21 ug∙h/L, 23.39±0.46 ug∙h/L, respectively., reflecting that the bioavailability of ASTA- krill oil in rats is higher than that of ASTA group, which is better than ASTA- Fish oil .Conclusion: The serum absorption rate of the ASTA- krill oil group are excellent. Antarctic krill oil promotes the bioavailability of astaxanthin and provides scientific basis and theoretical support for the development and application of functional foods or special medical foods.
Antarctic Krill Oil, Rat, Astaxanthin, Serum
- Liu Li, Liu Chengchu, Zhao Yong et al. Nutritional health effects and food safety evaluation of Antarctic krill[J].Food Science,2010,31(17): 443-447.
- Feng Dina, Yuan Ming, Zhu Xiaoli. Research Progress in Physiological Function of Antarctic Krill Oil[J]. Food Research and Development, 2015, 36(7): 115-117.
- Zhang Xiaoli, Liu Jianguo. Antioxidation of Astaxanthin and Its Application in Nutrition and Medicine Applications[J].Food Science,2006,27(1):258-262.
- Miao FP, Geng YH, Lu DY，et al. Stability and changes in astaxanthin ester composition from Haematococcus pluvialis during storage [J]. Chinese Journal of Oceanology and Limnology , 2013 , 31( 6 ):1181一1189.
- Wang Jiahui, Liu Chunhua, Ren Bingxing, Wang Yuming, Xue Changhu. Effects of different fatty acid composition phospholipids on digestion and absorption of rats [J], China Oils and Fats, 2013, 8:51-54.
- Sun Weihong, Xing Lihong et al. Determination of astaxanthin in Antarctic krill and its products by high performance liquid chromatography[J] Journal of Food Safety and Quality, 2017.8(4).1248-1253
- Hashimoto, T., Ozaki, Y., Taminato, M., Das, S. K., Mizuno, M., Yoshimura, KKanazawa, K. (2009). The distribution and accumulation of fucoxanthin and its metabolites after oral administration in mice. British Journal of Nutrition, 102(2),242–248.
- Sy, C., Gleize, B., Dangles, O., Landrier, J. F., Veyrat, C. C., & Borel, P. (2012). Effects of physicochemical properties of carotenoids on their bioaccessibility, intestinal cell uptake, and blood and tissue concentrations. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research,56(9), 1385–1397.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.