In the present study, effects of non-Newtonian fluids on the characteristics of a centrifugal pump which was designed at 3300 rpm and 40 l/min for water were examined numerically. A numerical analysis using Computational Fluid Dynamics methodology was carried out. Water and three different non-Newtonian fluids of CMC 0.4%, CMC 0.3% and CMC 0.2% which derived from Carboxy Methyl Cellulose (CMC) solution were used in the analyses. The analyses were performed with the flow rates range of 10-80 l/min and rotor speed values of 3300 rpm and 1400 rpm. The results showed that the performance of the pump with non-Newtonian fluids was better than the water at 3300 rpm, contrary to 1400 rpm.
Centrifugal Pump Performance, Closed Impeller, Non-Newtonian Fluids, CFD
- Zhang G., Zhang M., Yang W., Zhu X., Hu Q., (2008), Effects of non-Newtonian fluid on centrifugal blood pump performance, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 35, pp. 613–617.
- Bacharoudis E.C., Filios A.E., Mentoz M.D. and Margaris D.P., (2009), Parametric study of a Centrifugal Pump Impeller by Varying the Outlet Blade Angle, The Open Mechancial Engineering Journal, Vol. 2, pp. 75-83.
- Shojaeefard M.H., Tahani M., Ehghaghi M.B., Fallahian M.A. and M. Beglari,(2012), Numerical Study of the Effects of Some Geometric Characteristics of a Centrifugal Pump Impeller That Pumps a Viscous Fluid, Computer and Fluid, Vol. 60, pp. 61-70.
- Chakraborty Sujoy, Pandey K.M., Roy Bidesh, (2012), Numerical Analysis on Effects of Blade Number Variations on Performance of Centrifugal Pumps with Various Rotational Speeds, International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, Vol. 2, pp. 143-152.
- Yi Li, Zuchao Zhu, Zhaohui He and Weiqiang He, (2011), Abrasion Characteristic Analysis of Solid-Liquid Two-Phase Centrifugal Pump, Journal of Thermal Science, Vol. 20, pp. 283-287.
- Kumar S., Mohapatra S.K. and Gandhi B.K., (2013), Investigation on Centrifugal Slurry Pump Performance with Variation of Operating Speed, International Journal of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Vol. 8, pp. 40-47.
- Buratto C., Occari M., Aldi N., Casari N., Pinelli M., Spina PR., Suman A.,(2017) Centrifugal Pumps Performance Estimation with Non-Newtonian Fluids: Review and Critical Analysis. Proceedings of 12th European Conference on Turbomachinery Fluid dynamics & Thermodynamics, ETC12, April 3-7 2017; Stockholm, Sweden.
- Aldi N., Buratto C., Casari N., Dainese D., Mazzanti M., Mollica F., Munari E., Occari M., Pinelli M., Randi S., Spina P.R., Suman A., Experinetal and Numerical Analysis Of A Non-Newtonian Fluids Processing Pump, 72nd Conference Of The Italian Thermal Machines Engineering Association, ATI2017, 6-8 September 2017, Lecce,Italy.
- Abazariyan S., Rafee R., Derakhshan S., (2018), Experimental Study of Viscosity Effects on a Pump as a Turbine Performance, Renewable Energy, Vol. 127, pp.539-547.
- Kaewnai S., Chamaoot M., Wongwises S.,(2009), Predicting Performance of Radial Flow Type İmpeller of Centrifugal Pump Using CFD, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 23, pp. 1620-1627.
- Cellek M.S., Engin T., (2016), 3-D Numerıcal Investıgatıon and Optimization of Centrifugal Slurry Pump Using Computational Fluid Dynamics, Isı Bilimi ve Tekniği Dergisi, Vol. 36, pp. 69-83.
- Pinho F.T., Whitelaw J.H.,(1990), Flow of Non-Newtonian Fluids in a Pipe, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 34, pp.129-144.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.