Black soldier fly allows to efficiently convert residual biomasses into a valuable source of biomolecules, such as proteins, lipids and chitin. In this study, a new method for obtaining amorphous chitin from the black soldier fly larvae was developed with a further deacetylation step. Amorphous chitin was obtained by direct extraction using concentrated phosphoric acid. The purity of the resulting chitin was confirmed by physicochemical methods (elemental analysis, IR spectroscopy, measurement of primary amines, amino acid analysis). Crystalline chitin and high molecular weight chitosan were obtained by the standard procedure including demineralisation, deproteinisation and deacetylation steps. This method allows to extract chitosan, suitable for a wide range of applications.
Chitin, Chitosan, Hydrolysis, Deacetylation, Insects, Black Soldier Fly, Hermetia Illucens
- Caligiani, A., A. Marseglia, G. Leni, S. Baldassarre, L. Maistrello, A. Dossena, S. Sforza. (2018). “Composition of black soldier fly prepupae and systematic approaches for extraction and fractionation of proteins, lipids and chitin”. Food Research International. 105: 812-820.
- Croisier, F. and C. Jérôme. (2013). “Chitosan-based biomaterials for tissue engineering”. European Polymer Journal. 49: 780–792.
- Hirai, A., H. Odani, A. Nakajima. (1991). “Determination of degree of deacetylation of chitosan by 1H NMR spectroscopy”. Polymer Bulletin. 26: 87-94.
- Kaya, M., S. Erdogan, A. Mol, T. Baran. (2015). “Comparison of chitin structures isolated from seven Orthoptera species”. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 72: 797–805.
- Kaya, M., K. Sofi, I. Sargin, M. Mujtaba. (2016). “Changes in physicochemical properties of chitin at developmental stages (larvae, pupa and adult) of Vespa crabro (wasp)”. Carbohydrate Polymers. 145: 64–70.
- Khayrova, A.S., S.A. Lopatin, O.A. Sinitsyna, A.P. Sinitsyn, V.P. Varlamov. (2018). “Obtaining chitin from the black soldier fly Hermetia illucens by direct extraction”. Proceeding of the RAS Ufa Scientific Centre. 3(2): 84-88.
- Knidri, H. E., R. Belaabed, A. Addaou, A. Laajeb, A. Lahsini. (2018). “Extraction, chemical modification and characterization of chitin and chitosan”. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 120: 1181–1189.
- Kumari, S. and P.K. Rath. (2014). “Extraction and characterization of chitin and chitosan from (Labeo rohita) fish scales”. Procedia Materials Science. 6: 482–489.
- Lopatin, S.A., M.S. Derbeneva, S.N. Kulikov, V.P. Varlamov, O.A. Shpigun. (2009). “Fractionation of chitosan by ultrafiltration”. Journal of Analytical Chemistry. 64: 648-51.
- Lopatin, S.A., A.S. Khayrova, V.P. Varlamov, I.V. Sokolov. (2019). The method of obtaining chitin from the larvae of the black soldier fly Hermetia illucens. Russian patent No. 2680691.
- Luo, Q., Y. Wang, Q. Han, L. Ji, H. Zhang, Z. Fei, Y. Wang. (2019). “Comparison of the physicochemical, rheological, and morphologic properties of chitosan from four insects”. Carbohydrate Polymers. 209: 266–275.
- Lyalina, T., A. Zubareva, S. Lopatin, V. Zubov, S. Sizova, E. Svirshchevskaya. (2017). “Correlation Analysis of Chitosan Physicochemical Parameters Determined by Different Methods”. Organic and Medicinal Chemistry International Journal. 1(3): 555-562.
- Mertenat, A., S. Diener, C. Zurbrügg. (2019). “Black Soldier Fly biowaste treatment – Assessment of global warming potential”. Waste Management. 84: 173–181.
- Puvvada, Y. S., S. Vankayalapati, S. Sukhavasi. (2012). “Extraction of chitin from chitosan from exoskeleton of shrimp for application in the pharmaceutical industry”. International Current Pharmaceutical Journal. 1: 258–263.
- Soon, C.Y., Y.B. Tee, C.H. Tan, A.T. Rosnita, A. Khalina. (2018). “Extraction and physicochemical characterization of chitin and chitosan from Zophobas morio larvae in varying sodium hydroxide concentration”. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 108: 135-142.
- Taylor, I., A.G. Hovard. (1993). “Measurement of primary amine groups on surface-modified silica and their role in metal binding”. Analytica Chimica Acta. 271(1): 77-82.
- Wasko, A., P. Bulak, M. Polak-Berecka, K. Nowak, C. Polakowski , A. Bieganowski. (2016). “The first report of the physicochemical structure of chitin isolated from Hermetia illucens”. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules. 92: 316-320.
- Younes, A. and M. Rinaudo. (2015). “Chitin and chitosan preparation from marine sources. Structure, properties and applications”. Marine drugs. 13(3): 1133-1174.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.