Pectinases are one of the essential group of enzymes in the field of biotechnology and has applications in various industries including food, textile, paper industries and waste management. In this study, indigenous bacterial pectinase producers have been isolated from rotten fruits and vegetables (tomato, mango, peach and cabbage) on Luria agar. Sixty-six bacterial strains were screened out as potential pectinase producers among hundred and seventeen isolates. Screening of these pectinase producers were subjected to three parameters (temperature, pectin concentration and time). Seven strains were screened out to be potential thermotolerant and high pectin concentration utilizing strains among which isolate no. 72 gave better results than other strains. Morphological and biochemical tests were performed to identify bacterial pectinase producers, majority of which were identified as Bacillus sp.
Bacterial Pectinase, Isolation, Screening, Characterization
- Ahmed I, Zia MA, Hussain MA, Akram Z, Naveed MT, Nowrouzi A. Bioprocessing of citrus waste peel for induced pectinase production by Aspergillus niger; its purification and characterization. Journal of Radiation Research and Applied Sciences. 2016 Apr 1;9(2):148-54.
- Amin F, Bhatti HN, Bilal M, Asgher M. Improvement of activity, thermo-stability and fruit juice clarification characteristics of fungal exo-polygalacturonase. International journal of biological macromolecules. 2017 Feb 1;95:974-84.
- Chatha SA, Asgher M, Iqbal HM. Enzyme-based solutions for textile processing and dye contaminant biodegradation—a review. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 2017 Jun 1;24(16):14005-18.
- Deng Z, Wang F, Zhou B, Li J, Li B, Liang H. Immobilization of pectinases into calcium alginate microspheres for fruit juice application. Food Hydrocolloids. 2019 Apr 1;89:691-9.
- Garg G, Singh A, Kaur A, Singh R, Kaur J, Mahajan R. Microbial pectinases: an ecofriendly tool of nature for industries. 3 Biotech. 2016 Jun 1;6(1):47.
- Jayani RS, Saxena S, Gupta R. Microbial pectinolytic enzymes: a review. Process Biochemistry. 2005 Sep 1;40(9):2931-44.
- Kashyap DR, Vohra PK, Chopra S, Tewari R. Applications of pectinases in the commercial sector: a review. Bioresource technology. 2001 May 1;77(3):215-27.
- Kavuthodi B, Sebastian D. Review on bacterial production of alkaline pectinase with special emphasis on Bacillus species. Biosci Biotechnol Res Commun. 2018 Jan 1;11:18-30.
- Kohli P, Gupta R. Alkaline pectinases: a review. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology. 2015 Jul 1;4(3):279-85.
- Li K, Meng K, Pan X, Ma R, Yang P, Huang H, Yao B, Su X. Two thermophilic fungal pectinases from Neosartorya fischeri P1: Gene cloning, expression, and biochemical characterization. Journal of Molecular Catalysis B: Enzymatic. 2015 Aug 1;118:70-8.
- Mahesh M, Arivizhivendhan KV, Maharaja P, Boopathy R, Hamsavathani V, Sekaran G. Production, purification and immobilization of pectinase from Aspergillus ibericus onto functionalized nanoporous activated carbon (FNAC) and its application on treatment of pectin containing wastewater. Journal of Molecular Catalysis B: Enzymatic. 2016 Nov 1;133:43-54.
- Obafemi YD, Ajayi AA, Taiwo OS, Olorunsola SJ, Isibor PO. Isolation of Polygalacturonase-Producing Bacterial Strain from Tomatoes (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.). International Journal of Microbiology. 2019;2019.
- Ortiz GE, Ponce-Mora MC, Noseda DG, Cazabat G, Saravalli C, López MC, Gil GP, Blasco M, Albertó EO. Pectinase production by Aspergillus giganteus in solid-state fermentation: optimization, scale-up, biochemical characterization and its application in olive-oil extraction. Journal of industrial microbiology & biotechnology. 2017 Feb 1;44(2):197-211.
- Parveen S, Wani AH, Bhat MY, Koka JA, Fazili MA. Variability in production of extracellular enzymes by different fungi isolated from rotten pear, peach and grape fruits. Brazilian Journal of Biological Sciences. 2017 Dec 31;4(8):259-64.
- Reddy MP, Saritha KV. Bio-catalysis of mango industrial waste by newly isolated Fusarium sp.(PSTF1) for pectinase production. 3 Biotech. 2015 Dec 1;5(6):893-900.
- Rehman HU, Siddique NN, Aman A, Nawaz MA, Baloch AH, Qader SA. Morphological and molecular based characterization of pectinase producing Bacillus licheniformis from rotten vegetable. Journal of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology. 2015 Dec 1;13(2):139-44.
- Sharma HP, Patel H, Sugandha. Enzymatic added extraction and clarification of fruit juices–A review. Critical reviews in food science and nutrition. 2017 Apr 13;57(6):1215-27.
- Shet AR, Desai SV, Achappa S. Pectinolytic enzymes: classification, production, purification and applications. Res J Life Sci Bioinform Pharm Chem Sci. 2018;4:337-48.
- Sindhu, R., Aneesh, E.M., Rebello, S., Binod, P., Pandey, A. and Anju, M., 2017. Recent advancements in the production and application of microbial pectinases: an overview.
- Soares MM, Silva RD, Gomes E. Screening of bacterial strains for pectinolytic activity: characterization of the polygalacturonase produced by Bacillus sp. Revista de Microbiologia. 1999 Dec;30(4):299-303.
- Sohail M, Latif Z. Phylogenetic analysis of polygalacturonase-producing Bacillus and Pseudomonas isolated from plant waste material. Jundishapur journal of microbiology. 2016 Jan;9(1).
- Yu P, Xu C. Production optimization, purification and characterization of a heat-tolerant acidic pectinase from Bacillus sp. ZJ1407. International journal of biological macromolecules. 2018 Mar 1;108:972-80.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.