Author(s): Oguoma O.I., Oguoma L.M.O., Nwokediuko I.I., Emeka-Nwabunnia I., Ezejiofor CC
Farmland soil and rhizospheric soil were screened for the presence of antibiotic producing Actinomycetes. Using culture based techniques. Isolates were isolated suaing two media: Starch Casein Agar medium and Actinomycetes Isolation Agar (AIA) medium. Isolates were characterized morphologically and biochemically and identified to be in the genus Actinomycetes. Ten isolates were isolated with varied qualitative and quantitative spectrum of activity against Multidrug resistant Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Salmonella typhi, and Candida albicans. The quantitative antimicrobial assay recorded a zone of inhibition of 0-26mm diameter of zone of inhibition. Results show that the soil samples are important sources of antibiotics for the fight of Multidrug resistant isolates.
Actinomycetes, Antibiotics, Multidrug Resistance, Rhizopheric Soil
- Okorondu S. I., Adeleye, S. A. Okorondu, M. M. O. (2015). Review on medicinal plants. Nigerian journal of Microbiology, 29:3167-3183.
- Sundaramoorthi C, Vengadesh PK, Gupta S, Karthick K, Tamilselvi N (2011). Production and characterization of antibiotics from soil-isolated actinomycetes. Int Res J Pharm. 2(4):114–118.
- Berdy J. (2005). Bioactive microbial metabolites. J Antibiot.;58(1):1–26.
- Ramasamy V, Suban M, Annamalai P (2010). Isolation, characterization and antimicrobial activity of actinobacteria from point climere Coastal region, east coast of India. Int Res J Pharm. 1(1):358–365.
- Gurung TD, Sherpa C, Agrawal VP, Lekhak B (2009). Isolation and characterization of antibacterial actinomycetes from soil samples of Kalapatthar, Mount Everest Region. Nepal J Sci Technol. 10:173–182
- Bizuye, A., Moges, F., & Andualem, B. (2013). Isolation and screening of antibiotic producing actinomycetes from soils in Gondar town, North West Ethiopia. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, 3(5), 375–381.
- Retinowati W (2010). Identification of Streptomyces sp-MWS1 producing antibacterial compounds. Indonesian J Trop Infect Dis. 1(2):82–85.
- Khanna M, Solanki R, Lal R (2011). Selective isolation of rare actinomycetes producing novel antimicrobial compounds. Int J Adv Biotech Res. 2(3):357–375.
- Nonoh JO, Lwande W, Masiga D, Okech MA, Nyende AB, Boga HI (2010). Isolation and characterization of Streptomyces species with antifungal activity from selected national parks in Kenya. Afr J Microbiol Res. 4(9):856–864.
- Raja A, Prabakaran P, Gajalakshmi P (2010). Isolation and screening of antibiotic producing psychrophilic actinomycetes and its nature from Rothang hill soil against viridians Streptococcus sp. Res J Microbiol. 5(1):44–49.
- Maleki H, Mashinchian O (2011). Characterization of Streptomyces isolates with UV, FTIR spectroscopy and HPLC analyses. Bioimpacts. 1(1):47–52.
- Awad MH, El-Shahed KY I E-Nakkadi AEM (2009). Isolation, Screening and Identification of Newly isolated soil Streptomycetes (Streptomycetes. NRC-35) for β-Lactamase inhibitor production. World Applied Sciences Journal 7:637- 646.
- Arifuzzaman M, Khatun M R, Rahman H (2010). Isolation and screening of actinomycetes from Sundarbans soil for antibacterial activity. African Journal of Biotechnology 9:4615-4619.
- Dhanasekaran D Thajuddin N, Panneerselvam A (2009). Distribution and Ecobiology of Antagonistic Streptomycetes from Agriculture and Coastal Soil in Tamil Nadu, India. Journal of Culture Collections 6:10-20.
- Williams ST, Cross T (1971). Actinomycetes. In. Methods in Microbiology. (Booth, C. Ed.). Academic press, London. pp. 29-65.
- Cheesbrough M. (2010). District Laboratory Practice in Tropical Countries (part 2). Cambridge University Press: UK; 35-38, 62-69.
- Lalitha MK (2004). Manual on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing. Department of Microbiology, Christian medical college, Tamil Nadu. pp. 1-47.
- Pandey B, Grimier P, Agrawal VP (2004). Studies on the antibacterial activity of actinomycetes isolated from the Khumbu region of Nepal. Journal Biology Science 23:44-53
- Atsede Muleta and Fassil Assefa (2018) Isolation and screening of antibiotic producing actinomycetes from rhizosphere and agricultural soils. African Journal of Biotechnology. 17(22): 700-714.
- Abo-Shadi M, Sidkey NM, Al-Mutrafy AM (2010). Antimicrobial agent producing microbes from some soils' rhizosphere. J Am Sci.6(10):915–925.
- Lechevalier HA (1989). A practical guide to genetic identification of actinomycetes. In. Bergey’s manual of Systematic Bacteriology. (Williams, S.T., Sharp, M.E. and Holt, J.P. Eds). The William and Wilkins company, Baltimore pp. 2344-2347
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.