Author(s): N. A. Jamabo, I. O. K. Ukwe, D. Amachree
Assessment was carried on the growth and microbial flora presence in African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) larvae fed with live food(Artemia) and commercial feed (Aller Aqua). Two days old larvae (n=200) of average weight (4.8± 0.01mg)and length (6.16±0.03mm)were reared in triplicates for 21 days in plastic tanks (40cm x 25cm x 25cm) dimension. The experiment was done in 12 hours static and 12 hours flow through periods each day. The physico-chemical parameters were within acceptable range for catfish culture except in the static periods were ammonia was present in values (0.30 ± 0.00) that are unacceptable. However, nitrate and nitrite were present but in low values. Both feeds showed commendable performance in growth parameters, but Artemia with lower crude protein content did better. There were presence of Total heterotrophic bacteria, Vibro, Total coliform and Salmonella/Shigella in the microbial analysis of the fish waters in all the treatment. Apart from total heterotrophic bacteria that was significantly present in all the experimental waters Vibro, Total coliform and Salmonila/Shigella were less than thirty(<30)cfu. Also, fish gets olderthe quantity of microbial flora present in the fish waters reduces.
Aquaculture, Larvae, Clarias gariepinus, Feeds, Microbial Flora
- Ajani EK, Nwanna LC, Musa BO (2004). Replacement of fish meal and maggot meal in diets of Nile tilapia, Oreochrons niloticus. World Aquaculture, 35,52-54.
- Amadi EI, Solomon SG (2001). Growth and survival of first feeding larvae of Clarias gariepinus fed live and preserved zooplankton. Journal of Aquatic Science, 5:29-31.
- Amakiri NE (2011). Aspect of ecology and population dynamics of Chrysichthys auratus(Gutter, 1964) from Upper Sombrerio River Nigeria Unpublished M.Sc. Thesis, Rivers State University of Science and Technology.
- Arimoro F (2007). First feeding in African Catfish Clarias anguillaris fry in tanks with freshwater rotifer Branchionus calyciflorus cultured in a continuous feedback mechanism in comparism with mixed zooplankton diet. Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science, 2(4)275-284.
- Austin B (2006). The bacterial microflora of fish, Revised. Scientific World Journal, 6:931-945.
- Bhatnagar A, Dev P (2013). Water quality guidelines for the management of pond fish culture. International Journal of Environmental Science, 3(6):1980-2009.
- Bhosale SV, Bhilave MP, Nadaf (2010). Formulation of fish feed using ingredients from plant sources. Research Journal of Agricultural Science, (1): 284-287.
- Boyd CE (1979). Water quality in warm water fish pond. Auburn University Agricultural Experimental Station Alabama, U.S.A: Craft Master Printers.
- Bukola D, Fashina BH, Isa E (2015). The use of lyophilized egg white as first feed of Clarias gariepinus Hatchlings. Poultry, Fisheries and Wildlife Science, 3:1-21.
- Daboor SM (2008). Microbiological and Physico-chemical characteristics of fish ponds water in Ughelli, Delta State, Nigeria. International Journal of Current Research, 8:82-87.
- Deekae SN (2009). Population biology of Macrobrachium macrobracon in Lubara Creek. Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis. Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt.
- Delgado CL, Wada N, Rosegrant MW, Meijer S, Ahmed M (2003). Outlook for fish to Zozo, meeting global demand. Page 28.
- Diyaolu DO (2005). Aerobic bacteria flora and survival of African catfish Clarias gariepinus during early life stages in Hatchery. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies, 3(1):308-384.
- Enes P, Panserat S, Kausluk S, Oliva-Jekes A (2006). Rapid metabolic adaptation in European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) juveniles fed different carbohydrate sources after heat shock stress. Comparative Biochemistry Physiology, Part A, 145:73-81.
- Fasakin EA. (2007). Fish as food yesterday, today and forever. Inaugural lecture series 48, The Federal University of Technology, Akure, P. 52-56.
- Federal Department of Fisheries (2008). Fisheries statistics, FDF, Abuja, Nigeria.
- Food and Agricultural Organization (2001). State of the World Fisheries and Aquaculture Rome, Italy.
- Food and Agricultural Organization (2011). Workshop on future directions for gender in aquaculture and fisheries action, research and development, FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Report, No. 998, Rome, Shanghai, China.
- Food and Agricultural Organization (2013). State of the World Fisheries Aquaculture. Rome, Italy.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) (2015). Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. The state of the World Fisheries and Aquaculture FAO, Rome Italy, Annual Review, 45:43-56.
- Future Directions International (2013). Strategic analysis paper: Fish for the future and food security independent strategic analysis of Australia’s Global Interests.
- Ganguly S, Dora KC, Sarka S, Chowdhury S (2013). Supplementation of probiotics in fish feed: a review. Reviews on fish biology and Fisheries, 23(2): 195-199.
- Grisez L, Ollevier F (1995). Vibro (Listonella) anguillorum in marine fish larviculture In: Lavens, P., Jaspers, E., Roelande, I (Eds). Larvi 91- Fish and crustacean larviculture symposium. European Aquaculture Society, 23:497-507.
- Jamabo NA, Dienye HE (2017). Growth and Performance of Clarias gariepinus fed different commercial feeds. Journals of Natural Science Research, 7(6):125-129.
- Kaushik SJ, Covee D, Dutto G, Blanc D (2004). Almost total replacement of fish meal by plant protein source in the diet of manne deleast, the European Seabass (Dicentrarchus labrax). Agriculture 230:391-404.
- Kay D, Growther J, Stapleton CM, Wyer MD, Fewtrell IF, Edwards A, Francis CA, McDonald AT, Watkinson J (2008). Fecal indicator organism concentrations in sewage. Water Resources, 42:442-445.
- Level R (1979). Donnes Préliminairessur La microflore du tube digestifde la truitearcen-ciel Salmo-garidneri Richardson Revue de Biology et. Ecologie Mediteriane, 6:167-176.
- Li XF, Wang Y, Liu WB, Jiang GZ, Zhu J (2014). Effects of dietary carbohydrate/lipid ratios on growth performance, body composition and glucose metabolism of /fingerling Blunt Snout Bream (Megalobramaambly cephala). Aquaculture Nutrition, 2:1-12.
- Madu CT, Sogbesan AO, Ibiyo LMO (2003). Some non-conventional fish feed resources in Nigeria. In: Eyo, A. A. (Eds), National workshop on fish feed and feeding practice in Agriculture Nigeria: FISON, NIFR, FAO-NSFAS.
- Mbagwu IG, Adeniji HA (1988). The nutritional content of duck weed (Lemnapauci costata hedgehog) in the Kainji Lake Area, Nigeria. Aqua Botany, 29(4):357-366.
- Mondal K, Kaviraj A, Mukhopadhyay PK, Datta M, Sengupta C (2007). Evaluation of fermented fish offal in formulated diet of the India Carp. Rohu (Labeo rohita) Harmitton. Actalchhylopicaet piscatorial, 37:99-105.
- Obianeme NE, Obire O (2017). Microbiological and Physico-chemical characteristics of fish ponds in Port Harcourt. Current students in comparative education, Science and Technology, 4:126-136.
- Okpokwasili GC, O’Bulie IN (1998). Bacterial and metal quality of Tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus in aquaculture system. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 3:190-202.
- Olusola SE, Olorunfemi BV (2017). Bio-productive effects of Clarias gariepinus fingerlings fed guava (Psidium guajava) leaves and drunstick (Maringa Oleifera) leaves extracts supplemented diets. Applied Tropical Agriculture,22(2):156-165.
- Orisamuko EA (2006). Influence of diets on the growth of the African River Prawn, Macrobranchuim vollenhoveni. Nigeria Journal of Fisheries, 2(1):110-126.
- Penase P, Mengumphan K (2015). Growth performance Length-weight relationship and condition factor of Backcross and Reciprocal Hybrid catfish reared in net cage. International Journal of Zoological Research, 11:57-64.
- Person JR (1989). Early weaning of marine fish larvae into microdiets: Constraints and perspectives. Tahiti, advance in trapical Aquaculture. AQUACOP IFIRMA. Actesdu Colloque, 45:625-642.
- Richard WE (1979). Growth rate and models. In: Hoar, W. S., Rondall, D. J. &Breth, J. R. (Eds), Fish Physiology, Bioenergetics and Growth (PP 123-131). New York: Academic Press.
- Robinette HR (2006). Effect of selected sub lethal levels of ammonia on the growth of Channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) Progressive Fish Culturist, 38:26-29.
- Tibbetts SM, Lall SP (2013). Effect of dietary inclusion of atlantic snow crab, Chionoecetes opilio and Northern Pink Shrimp (Pandalis borealis) processing By- products on nutrient digestibility by juvenile haddock (Melanogrammus aeglefinus). Animal Feed Science and Technology, 182(4): 126-130.
- Ukwe IOK, Edun OM, Akinrotimi OA (2018). Growth and microbial indices in African catfish (Clarias gariepinus) larvae fed formulated and commercial diets. Journal of Fisheries Science, 12(2): 1-8.
- Ukwe IOK, Jamabo NA, Amachree D (2017). Evaluation of growth performance of Clarias gariepinus larvae fed Artemia and Aqualis starter feeds. Journal of Aquatic Sciences, 32(1B): 159-169.
- Ukwe OIK (2018). Comparative performance of African Catfish (Clarias gariepinus) fed artificial and live feeds. International Journal of Poultry and Fisheries Sciences, 2(1):1-5.
- Ukwe OIK, Edun OM, Akinrotimi OA (2018a). Aquaculture and Fisheries: A Recipy for Job Creation and Health Challenges. International Journal of Research under literal Access. Vol. 1(4).
- World Bank (2001). Aquaculture: Changing the face of the waters meeting the promises and challenges of sustainable Aquaculture. The World Bank, Washiongton DC.
- Wurts AW, Durborow MR (1992). Interactions of pH, carbon dioxide, alkalinity and hardness in fish ponds UK. South Regional Aquaculture Center.
- Zmyslowska I, Lewandowska D, Nowakowski J, Kozlowski J. (2001). Occurrence of Bacteria in Water and Vendace (Coregonus albula) during rearing in tanks. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.