The present study is related with the use of soybean, corn and palm biodiesel in a centrifugal pump driven by a diesel engine. Performance and emissions analysis were investigated using pure biodiesel (B100) and its mixtures with diesel (B50), comparing the results with pure diesel (B0) and also with the diesel sold at Brazilian fuel stations (B8). A test bench has been optimized for monitoring the behavior of centrifugal pump driven by a diesel engine. The viscosity, density, sulfur tenor, carbon tenor, hydrogen tenor, nitrogen tenor, lower and higher heating value were determined for various fuels used. The power, the fuel consumption and the emissions of: CO; CO2; NO; NO2; NOx; and SO2 were determined. The engine performed well with biofuels blended (B50) and biodiesels (B100). This confirms one of the great advantages of using biodiesel, which is the possibility of using a renewable fuel produced from a variety of raw materials leading to a cleaner energy production.
Biodiesel, Centrifugal Pump, Energy, Cleaner Production, Sustainability
- Pereira, R. G., Tulcán, O. E. P., Fellows, C. E., 2017. Engine Performance: Biofuels versus Petrofuels. In: M. R. Riazi; David Chiaramonti. (Org.). Biofuels Production and Processing Technology. 1ed.: CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group, pp. 569-586.
- Pereira, R. G., Tulcán, O. E. P., Fellows, C. E., Braz, A. J. L., 2017. “Energy Generation and Exhaust Emissions Analysis in a Stationary Engine Using Palm Biodiesel, Palm Oil and Diesel”. International Journal of Oil Gas and Coal Technology 16, 402-421.
- Pereira R.G., Tulcan O.E.P., Fellows C.E., Silva I.M., Santo Filho D.M.E., Lameira V.J, Quelhas O.L.G., 2014. “Energy generation using coconut biodiesel and coconut oil in a stationary engine”, Int J Oil Gas and Coal Technology 7 (4), 450-473.
- Pereira R.G., Tulcan O.E.P., Fellows C.E., Lameira V.J., Quelhas O.L.G., Aguiar M.E., Santo Filho D.M.E., 2012. “Sustainability and mitigation of greenhouse gases using ethyl beef tallow biodiesel in energy generation”, J. Clean. Prod. 29-30, 269-276.
- Pereira R.G., Oliveira C.D., Oliveira J.L., Oliveira P.C.P., Fellows C.E., Piamba O.E., 2007. “Exhaust emissions and electric energy generation in a stationary engine using blends of diesel and soybean biodiesel”. Renewable Energy 32 (14), 2453-2460.
- Atabani, A.E., Mofijur, M., Masjuki, H.H., Badruddin, I.A., Chong, W.T., Cheng, S.F., Gouk, S.W., 2014. “A study of production and characterization of Manketti (Ricinodendron rautonemii) methyl ester and its blends as a potential biodiesel feedstock”. Biofuel Research Journal 4, 139-146
- Demirbas, A., 2009.” Biofuels securing the planet’s future energy needs”. Energy Conversion and Management 50 (9), 2239-2249.
- Agarwal, A.K.,, Park,S., Dhar, A., Lee, C.S, Park, S., Gupta, T. and Gupta, N.K., 2018, “Review of Experimental and Computational Studies on Spray, Combustion, Performance, and Emission Characteristics of Biodiesel Fueled Engines”, J. Energy Resour. Technol 140(12), p. 120801
- Festel, G., Würmseher, M., Rammer, C., Boles, E., Bellof, M., 2014. “Modelling production cost scenarios for biofuels and fossil Fuels in Europe”. J. Clean. Prod. 66, 242 - 253.
- Solaimuthu, C., Ganesan, V., Senthilkumar, D., Ramasamy, K.K., 2015. “Emission reductions studies of a biodiesel engine using EGR and SCR for agriculture operations in developing countries”, Applied Energy 138, 91–98
- Singh, I., Rastogi, V., 2009. “Performance analysis of a modified 4-stroke engine using biodiesel fuel for irrigation purpose”. International Journal of Applied Environmental Sciences 4 (2) 229-242.
- FAO (2018) Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/#data/QC (accessed 10 September 2018).
- Fassio, A.S., Restaino, E.A., Cozzolino, D., 2015. “Determination of oil content in whole corn (Zea mays L.) seeds by means of near infrared reflectance spectroscopy”, Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 110, 171–175
- Sumathi, S., Chai, S.P., Mohamed, A.R., 2008. “Utilization of oil palm as a source of renewable energy in Malaysia”. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 12 (9), 2404–2421.
- Cadena, T., Prada, F., Perea, A., Romero, H.M., 2013. “Lipase activity, mesocarp oil content, and iodine value in oil palm fruits of Elaeis guineensis, Elaeis oleifera, and the interspecific hybrid O×G (E. oleifera × E. guineensis)”, J Sci Food Agric., 93(3), 674-680.
- Reijnders, L., Huijbregts, M.A.J., 2008. “Palm oil and the emission of carbon-based greenhouse Gases”. J. Clean. Prod. 16 (4) 477–482.
- Pereira, R.G., Tulcan, O.E.P., Lameira, V.J., Santo Filho, D.M.E., Andrade, E.T., 2011. Use of soybean oil in energy generation, in Krezhova, D. (Ed.): Recent Trends for Enhancing the Diversity and Quality of Soybean Products. 301–320, InTech Publishing, Rijeka, Croatia.
- Nautiyal, P., Subramanian, K.A.. Dastidar, M.G. 2014. “Production and characterization of biodiesel from algae”. Fuel Processing Technology 120, 79–88.
- Giwa, S.O., Chuah, L.A., Adam, N.M. 2014. “Fuel properties and rheological behavior of biodiesel from egusi (Colocynthis citrullus L.) seed kernel oil”. Fuel Processing Technology 122, 42–48.
- Gülüm, M., Bilgin, A. 2015. “Density, flash point and heating value variations of corn oil biodiesel-diesel fuel blends”. Fuel Processing Technology 134, 456–464.
- Almeida, V.F., García-Moreno, P.J., Guadix, A. and Guadix, E.M. 2015. “Biodiesel production from mixtures of waste fish oil, palm oil and waste frying oil: optimization of fuel properties”. Fuel Processing Technology 133, 152–160.
- Öztürk, E. 2015. “Performance, emissions, combustion and injection characteristics of a diesel engine fuelled with canola oil-hazelnut soapstock biodiesel mixture”. Fuel Processing Technology 129, 183–191.
- Ketlogetswe, C, Gandure, J., Jonas, M,, 2018, “ On-road Performance Analysis of Tallow Biodiesel on a 2.8 Toyota Raider Hilux”, International Journal of Sciences, DOI: 10.18483/ijSci.1541
- Mistri, G.K., Aggarwal, S.K., Longman, D., Agarwal, A.K., 2015, “Performance and Emission Investigations of Jatropha and Karanja Biodiesels in a Single-Cylinder Compression-Ignition Engine Using Endoscopic Imaging”, J. Energy Resour. Technol 138(1), 011202-13
- Patel, C., Hwang, J., Chandra, K., Agarwal, R.A., Bae, C., Gupta, T., Agarwal, A.K., 2018, “ In-Cylinder Spray and Combustion Investigations in a Heavy-Duty Optical Engine Fueled With Waste Cooking Oil, Jatropha, and Karanja Biodiesels”, J. Energy Resour. Technol 141(1), 012201-12
- Singh, B., Kaur, J., Singh, K., 2010, “Production of Biodiesel From Used Mustard Oil and Its Performance Analysis in Internal Combustion Engine”, J. Energy Resour. Technol 132(3), 031001-4
- Chokri, B., Ridha, E., Rachid, S., Jamel, B., 2012, “Experimental Study of a Diesel Engine Performance Running on Waste Vegetable Oil Biodiesel Blend”, J. Energy Resour. Technol 134(3), 032202-6
- Thushari, P. G. I., Babel, S., 2017, “Biodiesel Production From Waste Palm Oil Using Palm Empty Fruit Bunch-Derived Novel Carbon Acid Catalyst”, J. Energy Resour. Technol 140(3), 032204-10
- Qasim, M., Ansari,T.M., Hussain,M., 2017, “Preparation, Characterization and Engine Performance of Biodiesel Fuel Derived from Waste Cooking Oil and its Blends”, International Journal of Sciences, DOI: 10.18483/ijSci.1231
- Prabu, A., 2018, Engine Characteristic Studies by Application of Antioxidants and Nanoparticles as Additives in Biodiesel Diesel Blends, J. Energy Resour. Technol 140(8), 082203-7
- Debbarma, S., Misra, R. D. 2017, “Effects of Iron Nanoparticles Blended Biodiesel on the Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine”, J. Energy Resour. Technol 139(4), 042212-8
- Lang, X., Dalai, A., Bakhshi, N., Reaney, M. and Hertz, P. 2001. “Preparation and characterization of bio-diesels from various bio-oils”. Bioresource Technology 80, 53–62.
- ANP (2018) National Agency of Petroleum, Natural Gas and Biofuels, in Portuguese, http://www.anp.gov.br/dados-estatisticos (accessed 26 November 2018).
- Gutierrez, J. P. B. M. 2018. Analysis of the performance of a centrifugal pump driven by a diesel engine using biodiesel obtained from soy, corn and palm oils, and mixtures with diesel (in Portuguese). M.Sc. dissertation, Fluminense Federal University.
- Geller, D.P., Adams, T.T., Goodrum, J.W., Pendergrass J., 2008. “Storage stability of poultry fat and diesel fuel mixtures: Specific gravity and viscosity”. Fuel 87, 92–102.
- Souza C. D. R, Chaar J. S., Souza R. C. R., Jeffreys M. F., Souza K. S., Costa E. J. C., Santos J. C., 2009. “Physical-chemical characterization of biodiesel and diesel binary mixtures marketed in Amazonas” (in Portuguese). Acta Amazônica 39 (2), 383 – 388.
- Mejia, J.D, Salgado, N., Orrego, C.E. 2013. “Effect of blends of Diesel and Palm-Castor biodiesels on viscosity, cloud point and flash point”. Industrial Crops and Products 43, 791– 797.
- da Silva, I.M. 2014. Energy generation and exergetic analysis in a centrifugal pump driven by a diesel engine using biodiesel produced by transesterification using ultrasound (in Portuguese), Ph.D. thesis. Fluminense Federal University, Niterói, RJ, Brazil.
- Macedo T. O., 2013. Methodology for experimental exergetic evaluation of a pump driven by a diesel engine, operating with standard diesel and biodiesel (in Portuguese). M.Sc. dissertation, Fluminense Federal University.
- Usta, N., Ozturk, E., Cam, O., Conkur, E.S., Nas, S., Côn, A.H., Can, A.Ç., Topcu, M., 2005. “Combustion of biodiesel fuel produced from hazelnut soapstock/waste sunflower oil mixture in a diesel engine”. Energy Conversion and Management 46, 741-755.
- Usta, N., 2005. “An experimental study on performance and exhaust emissions of a diesel engine fuelled with tobacco seed oil methyl ester”. Energy Conversion and Management 46, 2373-2386.
- Pénard-Morand, C., Annesi-Maesano, I., 2004. “Air pollution: from sources of emissions to health effects”. Breathe. 1 (2), 108-119
- Lin, C.Y., Lin, H.A., 2008. “Effects of NOx-inhibitor agent on fuel properties of threephase biodiesel emulsions”. Fuel Processing Technology 89, 1237-1242.
- Bakeas, E., Karavalakis, G., Stournas, S., 2011. “Biodiesel emissions profile in modern diesel vehicles. Part 1: effect of biodiesel origin on the criteria emissions”. Science of the Total Environment 409, 1670-1676.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.