This article looks at whether lower levels of perceived satisfaction with own progress academically in school and in sport, were associated with higher levels of Athlete Burnout among junior athletes attending different high schools specialized for sports In order to explore this, we investigated junior athletesâ€™ perceptions of their own feeling regarding the different dimensions of Athlete Burnout, and how these perceptions related to their own satisfaction with their progress academically in school and in sport during the last year. The Athlete Burnout Questionnaire (ABQ) measures three dimensions of Athlete Burnout, Accomplishments, Exhaustion and Devaluation. Our hypothesis was partly confirmed as the results revealed that lower levels of perceived satisfaction with progress academically in school were associated with higher Athlete Burnout. This result applies for the dimensions Exhaustion and Devaluation as well as the sum of Athlete Burnout. The athletes who reported to be very dissatisfied with their progress academically reported that they frequently felt exhausted and devaluated their sports. However, only the dimension Accomplishments was associated with Athlete Burnout when satisfaction with own progress in school was analysed.
Athlete Burnout, junior athletes, sport schools
- Bishop, J. (2008). Examining our â€˜sports obsessedâ€™ culture. Eastern Mennonite University. Retrieved from http://www.emu.edu/news/index.php/1622/
- Brooks, D. T. (2007). The effects of athletic participation on the studentâ€™s self-concept. (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). The Graduate College University of Wisconsin: Stout, WI.
- Cherniss, C. (1980). Professional burnout in human service organizations. New York: Praeger.
- Chelladurai, P., & Riemer H. A. (1997). A classification of facets athlete satisfaction. Journal of sport management, 11, 13 â€“159.
- Chelladurai, P., & Riemer, H. A. (1998). Measurement of leadership in sports. In J. L. Duda (Ed.). Advances in sport and exercise psychology measurement (pp. 227-253). Morgantown, WV: Fitness Information Technology.
- Coakley, J. (1992). Burnout among adolescent athletes: A personal failure or social problem? Sociology of Sport Journal, 9, 271 -285.
- Cordes, C. L., & Dougherty, T. W. (1993). A review and an integration of research on job burnout. Academy of Management Review, 18, 621â€“656.
- Courneya, K. S., & Chelladurai, P. (1991). A model of performance measures in baseball. Journal of Sport Psychology, 13, 16-25.
- Cox, T., Tisserand, M., & Taris, T. (2005). Editorial: the conceptualization and measurement of burnout: questions and directions. Work & Stress, 19, 187â€“191.
- Cresswell, S. L., & Eklund, R. C. (2005). Motivation and burnout among top amateur rugby players. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 37, 469â€“477.
- Gall, M. D., Gall, J. P., & Borg, W. R. (2007). Educational research: an introduction. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Goodger, K., Gorely, T., Harwood, C., & Lavallee, D. (2007). Burnout in sport: A systematic review. The Sport Psychologist, 21, 127â€“151.
- Gould, D., & Dieffenbach, K. (2002). Overtraining, underrecovery, and burnout in sport. In M. Kellman (Ed.), Enhancing recovery: Preventing underperformance in athletes. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Gould, D., Udry, E., Tuffey, S., & Loehr, J. (1996). Burnout in competitive junior tennis players: I. A quantitative psychological assessment. The Sport Psychologist, 10, 322â€“340.
- Gustafsson, H. (2007). Prevalence of burnout in competitive adolescent athletes. The Sport Psychologist, 21, 21â€“37.
- Gustafsson, H., HassmÃ©n, P., KenttÃ¤, G., & Johansson, M. (2008). A qualitative analysis of burnout in elite Swedish athletes. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 9, 800- 816. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2007.11.004.
- Gustafsson, H., KenttÃ¤, G., HassmÃ©n, P., & Lundqvist, C. (2007). Prevalence of burnout in competitive adolescent athletes. The Sport Psychologist, 21, 21- 37.
- Main, L. C., Landers, G. J. (2012). Overtraining or Burnout: A Training and Psycho-Behavioral Case Study. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching. 7, 23-31
- Maslach, C., & Goldberg, J. (1998). Prevention of burnout: New perspectives. Applied and Preventive Psychology, 7, 63â€“74
- Maslach, C., Jackson, S. E., & Leiter, M. P. (1997). Maslach Burnout Inventory, In C. P. Zalaquett, & R. J.Wood (Eds.), Evaluating stress: A book of resources (pp. 191â€“218). London: The Scarecrow Press
- Maslach, C., Schaufeli, W. B., & Leiter, M. P. (2001). Job burnout. Annual Review of Psychology, 52, 397â€“422
- Maslach, C., Jackson, S. E., & Leiter, M. P. (1996). Maslach burnout inventory manual (3rd ed.). Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press
- MacNeill, D. K. (1981). The relationship of occupational stress to Burnout. In J. W. Jones (Ed.), The Burnout Syndrome (pp. 68-88). Park Ridge, Ill.: London House Press
- Pallant, J. (2010). SPSS survival manual a step by step guide to data analysis using the SPSS program (4th ed.). Maidenhead: Open University Press
- Raedeke, T. D. (1997). Is athlete burnout more than stress? A commitment perspective. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 19, 396â€“417
- Raedeke, T.D., & Smith, A.L. (2009). The Athlete burnout questionnaire manual. Morgantown, WV: Fitness Information Technology
- Rosenberg, M. (1968). Psychological selectivity in self-esteem formation. In C. Gordon & K. J. Gergen (Eds.), The Self in social Interaction. (pp. 339-346). New York: Wiley
- Ryan, R. M., & Solky, J. A. (1996). What is supportive about social support? On the psychological needs for autonomy and relatedness. In G. R. Pierce, B. R. Sarason, & I. G. Sarason (Eds.), Handbook of social support and the family (pp. 249â€“267). New York: Plenum Press
- Schaufeli, W.B., & Buunk, B.P. (2003). Burnout: An overview of 25 years of research and theorizing. In M.J. Schabracq, J. A.M. Winnubst, & C.L. Cooper (Eds.), The handbook of work and health psychology (2nd ed., pp. 383-425). New York: John Wiley & Sons
- Schaufeli, W.B., & Taris, T.W. (2005). Commentary. The conceptualization and measurement of burnout: Common ground and worlds apart. Work and Stress, 19, 356â€“362
- Silva, J. M. (1990). An analysis of the training stress syndrome in competitive athletics. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 2, 5-20
- Skaalvik, E. M. & Skaalvik,S. (2005). Skolen som lÃ¦ringsarena. Selvoppfatning, motivasjon og lÃ¦ring. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget
- Stegman, M. (2000). Athletics and academics. High School Magazine. 7, 36-39
- Whitley, R. (1999). Those 'dumb jocks' are at it again: A comparison of the education performances of athletes and non-athletes in North Carolina high schools from 1993 through 1996. The High School, 82, 223-233
- Zaugg, H. (1998). Academic comparison of athletes and non-athletes in a rural high school. NASSP Bulletin, 82, 63-72
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.