Author(s): Aniefiok E. Uko, O. B. Iren, Emmanuel B. Effa, Isong A. Isong
Waterleaf apart from being a source of food provides employment and income to mostly female peasant farmers. Field experiments were conducted to evaluate effects of organic manure types and their combinations on the growth and yield of water leaf in a typical tropical humid rainforest in 2016 and 2017 Cropping seasons. The experiment was laid out in a randomized complete block design (RCBD) with three replications. Treatments included sole poultry manure (PM) at 10 t ha-1, 10 t ha-1 cow dung (CD), 8 t ha-1 oil palm bunch ash (OPBA) and their combinations including; 5 t ha-1 PM + t ha-1CD, 5 t ha-1 PM +4 t ha-1 OPBA, 5 t ha-1 CD+4 t ha-1 OPBA and the control where no manures were applied. Data collected included; plant height, number of leaves and branches and leaf area plant -1, fresh and dry weights of water leaf. These were analyzed using analysis of variance and means compared using Fisher’s least significant difference (LSD) at 5%. Waterleaf plants fertilized with 10 t ha-1 PM and combination of 5 t ha-1 PM +4 t ha-1 OPBA showed better performance in all the parameters measured. Hence, 10 t ha-1 PM was recommended amongst other forms of organic manure applied as sole or in combination in Calabar agro ecology of Nigeria.
Talinum fructicosum, Organic Manure, Improved Performance, Efficacy, Growth and Yield
- Adekayode, F.O. and Ogunkoya, M.O. (2010). Effect of quantity and placement distances of inorganic 15-15-15 fertilizer in improving soil fertility status and the performance and yield of maize in a tropical rain forest zone of Nigeria. J. Soil. Sci. Environ. Mgt., 1: 155-163
- Adjei-Nsiah S. and Obeng, C. B. (2013). Effect of Palm Bunch Ash Application on Soil and Plant Nutrient Composition and Growth and Yield of Garden Eggs, Pepper and Okra. Int’l J. Plant Soil Sc. 2(1): 1-15,
- Adjei-Nsiah, S. (2012). Response of Maize (Zea mays L.) to different rates of palm bunch ash application in the semi-deciduous forest agro-ecological zone of Ghana. Appl. Environ. Soil Sc., (2012): 1-5.
- Agbede, T.M. (1984). Tillage and fertilizer effects on some soil properties, leaf nutrient concentration, growth and sweet potato yield on an Alfisols in southwestern Nigeria. Soil Tillage Res., 110(1):25-32.
- Agbede, T.M., Ojeniyi, S.O. and Adeyemo, A. J. (2008). Effect of PM on soil physical and chemical properties, growth and grain yield of sorghum in south western Nigeria. Am.-Eur. J. Sustainable Agric., 2(1):72-77.
- Akanbi, O.S.O., Famaye, A.O., Olaniyi, O.O., Ipinmoroti, R.R., Iloyanomo, C.I., Nduka, B.A. & Adeosun, S.A. (2014). Comparative Effects of Cocoa Pod Husk and Oil Oil palm bunch ash on Nutrient Uptake, Growth and Dry Matter Yield of cocoa (Theobroma cacao) in Ibadan, Southwest Nigeria. Agric. Scis., 5: 1046-1052.
- Akinmutimi, A. L., Osodeke, V. E. and Ano, A. O. (2013). Yield and Nutrient Composition of Sweet Potato (Ipomoea batatas (L) Lam) as Influenced by Application of Three Different Sources of Ash. Greener J. Agric. Scis, 3(2): 101 – 109.
- Amujiyegbe B.J., Opabode J.T and Olayinka A. (2007). Effect of organic and inorganic fertilizer on yield and chlorophyll content of maize (Zea mays L.) and sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench). Afr. J. Biotech., 6(16): 1869 – 1873.
- Araki, S. (1993). Effect of soil organic matter and soil fertility on the chitemene slash and burn practice used in Northern Zambia. In: Mulongoy, K. & Merkx, E. (eds.). Soil organic matter dynamics and sustainability of tropical agriculture. Wiley-Sayce, Belgium, Pp.367-375.
- Awe, A.O., Akinwa, A. O. & Chesi, A. Y. (2011). Influence of Poultry Manure Application Methods and Rates on the Pod Yield of Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus). Ind. J. Sc. Technol., 4(9):1125 -1128
- Awodun, M. A. (2012). Growth, yield and nutritional compositions of fluted pumpkin (Telfairia occidentalis Hook.F.) as affected by fertilizer types in Ogbomoso, south west Nigeria. J. Appl. Bioscs. 56: 4075 – 4079.
- Ayeni, L. S., Ayeni, O. M., Oso, O. P. & Ojeniyi, S. O. (2008). Effect of sawdust and wood ash applications in improving soil chemical properties and growth of cocoa (Theobroma cacao) seedlings in the nurseries. Medwell Agric. J., 3: 323-326.
- Ayoola, O. T. and Adeniyan, O. N. (2008). Influence of poultry manure and NPK fertilizer on yield and yield components of crops under different cropping systems in South West Nigeria. Afr. J. Biotech., 5(15): 1386 – 1392.
- Brady, N. C. & Weil, R. R. (1996). The nature and properties of soils. 11th edition. Prentice-Hall Inc. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, USA. 740pp.
- Chongrak, P. (1996). Organic waste recycling: technology and management. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., Baffins Lane, Chichester, West Sussex PO19 IUD, England, 412p.
- Enwezor, W. O., Udo, E. J. and Sobulo, A. R. (1991). Fertility status and Productivity of Acid Sands. In Acid Sands of Southeastern Nigerian Monograph No. 1. Soil Sc. Soc. Nig., pp. 56-73.
- Ewulo, B. S., Ojeniyi, S. O. & Akanni, D. A. (2008). Effect of poultry manure on selected soil physical and chemical properties, growth, yield and nutrient status of tomato. Afr. J. Agric. Res., 3 (9): 612-616.
- Gbaraneh L. D. and Chu G. C. S. (2016). Effects of palm bunch ash, poultry manure and NPK fertilizer and their combinations on soil productivity and yield of Okra (Abelmoschus esculentsus) in South-south Nigeria. Int’l J. Sc Res., 4(8): 5674-5681.
- Gomez, K. A. and Gomez, A. A. (1984). Statistical Procedures for Agricultural Research. An international Rice Research Institute Book. A Wiley –Inter science Publication John Wiley and Sons United State of America, 680 pp
- Hochmuth, R.C., Hochmuth, G.J. and Donley, M.E. (1993). Responses of cabbage yields, head quality, and leaf nutrient status, and of second-crop squash, to poultry manure fertilization. Proc. Soil Crop Sci. Soc. Florida, 52:126-130.
- Hue, N.V. and sobieszczyk, B.A. (1999) Nutritional values of some bio-wastes as soil amendments. Compost Sci. & Utili., 7(1):34-41
- Ibeawuchi, I. I., Onweremadu, E. U. & Oti, N. N. (2006). Effects of poultry manure on Green (Amaranthus cruentus) and waterleaf (Talinum traiangulare) on degraded ultisol of Owerri Southeastern Nigeria. J Animal Vet. Adv., 5: 53-56.
- Idiong, I. C., Ekpe, E. E., Charles, A. I. and Udoh, E. J. (2002). Socio-economic determinants of waterleaf production in Calabar Municipality and South Local Government Areas of Cross River State. Global J.Pure and Appl. Sci., 8(2): 239 – 243.
- IITA (1989) Automated and semi-automated methods for soil analysis. International Institute Tropical Agriculture, Manual series No. 7. IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Iren, O. B., Udoh, D. J., Asawalam, D. O. and Osodeke, V. E. (2016). Comparative effects of different nitrogen sources and rates on soil properties and yield of Amaranthus cruentus. Eur. J. Acad. Essays, 3(9): 304-311.
- Ismaeil, F. M., Abusuwer, A. O. & Elnaim, A. M. (2012). Influence of chicken manure on growth and yield of forage sorghum (Sorghum bicolor L. Moench). Int’l J. Agric. Forestry, 2(2): 56 – 60.
- Law-Ogbomo, K. E. and Ajayi S. O. (2009) Growth and yield performance of Amaranthus cruentus influenced by planting density and poultry manure application Not. Bot. Horti Agrobot., 37 (2): 195-199
- Mohammed, Y.A., Kelly, J., Chim, B.K., Rutto, E., Waldschmidt, K. and Mullock. J. (2013): Nitrogen fertilizer management for improved grain quality and yield in winter wheat in Oklahoma. J. Plant Nutr., 36:749–761.
- Moyin-Jesu, E. I. (2019): Comparative evaluation of different organic fertilizers on the soil chemical composition, growth, leaf and fruit yields of fluted pumpkin (Telfaria Occidentalis L.). Am. J. Res. Communication, 7(3): 1-23.
- Ndaeyo, N.U., Ikeh, A.O., Nkeme, K.K., Akpan, E. A. & Udoh, E. I. (2013) Growth and Foliar Yield Responses of Waterleaf (Talinum triangulare Jacq) to Complementary Application of Organic and Inorganic Fertilizers in a Ultisol. Am. J. Experimental Agric., 3(2): 324 – 335.
- Ndubuaku, U.M., Ede, A.E., Baiyeri, K.P. & Ezeaku, P.I. (2015): Application of poultry manure and its effect on growth and performance of potted moringa. J. Plant Nutr. Fert. Technol., 5: 33 – 39.
- NIMET (2016). Weather Report. Nigerian Meteorological Agency, Margaret Ekpo International airport, Calabar.
- Obi, M. E. and Ebo, P. O. (1995): The effects of organic and inorganic amendments on soil physical properties and maize production in a severely degraded sandy soil in southern Nigeria. Bioresource Technol., 51:117-123.
- Ojeniyi, S.O., Awanlemhen, B. C. & Adejoro, S. A. (2010). Soil plant nutrients and maize performance as influenced by oil palm bunch ash plus NPK fertilizer. J. Am. Sc., 6(12): 456 – 460.
- Ojeniyi, S.O., Ezekiel, P. O., Asawalam, D. O., Awo, A. O., Odedina, S. A. & Odedina, J. N. (2009). Root growth and NPK status of cassava as influence by oil palm bunch ash. Afr. J. Biotech., 8(18): 4407-4412
- Opara, C. N and Asiegbu J.E. (1996). Nutrient content of poultry manures and the optimum rate for eggplant fruit yield in a weathered tropical ultisol. Biol. Agric. and Hort., 13: 341-350.
- Owolabi, O., Adeleye, A., Oladejo, D. T. and Ojeniyi, S. O. (2003). Effect of wood ash on soil fertility and crop yield in south west Nigeria. Nig. J. Soil Sc., 13: 55-60.
- Parnes, R. (1990). Fertile Soil, A grower’s guide to inorganic and organic fertilizers. agAccess, 603 Fourth St., Davis, CA 9561., 190pp
- Roger, J., Sharland, R. W. (1997). Understanding traditional perceptions of wood ash; a means of communicating soil fertility. Centre for Information on Low External Input and Sustainable Agriculture (ILEA) Newsletter, 13(3): 23 - 29.
- Sharma, A.R. and Mittra, B.N. (1991). Effect of Different Rates of Application of Organic and Nitrogen Fertilizers in a Rice-Based Cropping System. J. Agric. Sc., 117, 313-318.
- Sokoto, M. B., Magaji, M. D. & Singh, A. (2007). Growth and yield of irrigated sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas (L) Lam.) as influenced by intra-row spacing and potassium. J. Plant Sc., 2: 54 – 60.
- Tindall, H. D. (1983). Vegetables in the tropics. The Macmillian Press Ltd., Uk., pp. 102-106.
- Tisdale, S.L., Nelson, W.L. and Beaton, J.D. (1985). Soil Fertility and Fertilizers. 4th Edition, Macmillan Publishing Company, New York.
- Tswanya M.N., Isah K.M., Ahmed M., Yisa P.Z. & Lile S.N. (2017). Effect of Poultry Droppings on Growth and Fruit Yield of Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus). Int’l J. Environ. Agric. Biotech., 2(3): 1247-1251
- Udoh, D. J., Ndon, B. A., Asuquo, P. E. and Ndaeyo, N. U. (2005). Crop Production Techniques for the Tropics. Concept Publication, Lagos, Pp. 211-216.
- Udoh, E. J. and Akpan, S. B. (2007). Measuring Technical Efficiency of Water Leaf (Talinum triangulare) Production in Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Am.-Eur. J. Agric. Environ. Sci., 2(5): 518 – 522.
- Uko, A. E., Udo, I. A. and Shyam, J.O. (2009). Optimizing poultry manure rates for two Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus) varieties in a warm wet climate. J. Agric.Biotech. Ecol., 2(3): 273-285).
- Uko, A. E., Udo, I. A., and Shiyam, J.O. (2013). Effects of Poultry Manure and Plant Spacing on the Growth and Yield of Waterleaf (Talinum fructicosum (L.) Juss). J. Agron., 12: 146-152.
- Ukpai, P. A. & Nnabuchi, M. N. (2012). Comparative study of biogas production from cow dung, cow pea and cassava peeling using 45 litre biogas digester. Adv Appl. Sc. Res., 3(3): 1864-1869.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.