Pancreatic cancer is the one of lowest survival rate cancer among all kinds of cancer. This is because its early syndromes are very different from other fatal diseases. Although with the development of the detection and management, more than 96% of the patients cannot live more than 5 years after diagnosis. Survival rate is low for those with malignant disease in the pancreas, because surgical resection at present may cut off the only chance of the cure. Unfortunately, 80–85% of patients are present with advanced unresectable pathology. Furthermore, pancreatic cancer responds poorly to most chemotherapeutic agents. Therefore, many scientists have devoted tons of efforts into the field of pancreatic cancer. With the development of biotechnology and medicine, a rising tech named Organ-on-a-chip shows astonishing capability of monitoring and modeling cancer. In the following passage, it provides an overview of the advanced technology in research on pancreatic cancer.
Pancreatic Cancer, Chemotherapeutic Agents, Organ-On-A-Chip
- Audrey Vincent, Joseph Herman, Rich Schulick, Ralph H Hruban, and Michael Goggins(2011), Pancreatic cancer. Lancet 2011; 378:607-20
- Stephen Pandol, Anna Gukovskaya, Mouad Edderkoui, David Dawson, Guido Eibl and Aurelia Lugea(2012), Epidemiology, risk factors, and the promotion of pancreatic cancer: Role of the stellate cell, Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 27 (2012) Suppl. 2; 127–134
- Drouillard A, et al. Épidémiologie du cancer du pancréas. Bull Cancer (2017), https://doi.org/10.1016/j. bulcan.2017.11.004
- Audrey Vincent, Joseph Herman, Rich Schulick, Ralph H Hruban, and Michael Goggins(2016), Pancreatic cancer, Nature Review. Disease Primer, Vol. 2, No. 16022
- Manuel Hidalgo, M.D.(2010), Pancreatic Cancer, N Engl J Med 2010;362:1605-17.
- Jones S, Zhang X, Parsons DW, et al. 11.(2008) , Core signaling pathways in human pancreatic cancers revealed by global genomic analyses. Science 2008;321:1801-6.
- Edge SB, Byrd DR, Compton CC, Fritz 44. AG, Greene FL, Trotti A, eds. AJCC cancer staging manual. 7th ed. New York: Springer, 2010.
- American Cancer Society, https://www.cancer.org/cancer/pancreatic-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/signs-and-symptoms.html
- American Cancer Society, https://www.cancer.org/cancer/pancreatic-cancer/treating/radiation-therapy.html
- Fortunato Ciardiello,M.D.,Ph.D.,and Giampaolo Tortora,M.D.,Ph.D.(2018), Drug Therapy. EGFR Antagonists in Cancer Treatment, N Engl J Med 2008;358:1160-74.
- Kacey Ronaldson-Bouchard , and Gordana Vunjak-Novakovic(2018), Organs-on-a-Chip: A Fast Track for Engineered Human Tissues in Drug Development. Cell Stem Cell; 22:310-24
- Bhatia, S.N., and lngber, D.E. (2014). Nat. Biotechnol. 32, 760-772
- Dongeun Huh, Geraldine A. Hamilton, and Donald E. Ingber(2011), From 3D cell culture to organs-on-a-chips, Trends in Cell Biology, Vol. 21, No. 12
- [A. Zbinden, J. Marzi, K. Schlünder, et al., Non-invasive marker-independent high content analysis of a microphysiological human pancreas-on-a-chip model, Matrix Biology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matbio.2019.06.008
- Julia Rogal Aline Zbinden Katja Schenke-Layland Peter Loskill, Stem-cell based organ-on-a-chip models for diabetes research Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addr.2018.10.010
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.