The flow fields over a rearview side mirror were examined experimentally in a wind tunnel. Velocity and pressure measurements were carried out by a constant-temperature hot wire anemometer and a micro-manometer, respectively. The Reynolds number based on the free stream velocity of the air and the width of the mirror was varied from 9.5x104 to 1.3x105. The results showed that the static pressures are showed different distribution over the rearview side mirror and took smaller values at the separation points of the boundary layer from the mirror surface.Index Termsâ€”Side mirror, pressure coefficient, wind tunnel, flow separation.
- G. Yu and D. Liu, â€œNumerical analysis on the relationship between aerodynamic drag coefficient and 3D molding of rear view mirrorâ€, Computing, Control and Industrial Engineering (CCIE), IEEE 2nd International Conference, vol. 1, 2011, pp. 117-121
- Q. Li and Z. Yang, â€œTransient flow over generic rear view mirror using computational fluidâ€, Computer Science and Automation Engineering (CSAE), 2011 IEEE International Conference, vol. 2, 2011, pp. 742-746
- R. Jaitlee, F. Alam and S. Watkins, â€œPressure measurements on an automobile side rear view mirrorâ€, 15th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia, 2004
- Y. Wang, Z. Gu, W. Li and X. Lin, â€œEvaluation of aerodynamic noise generation by a generic side mirrorâ€, World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 61, 2010, pp. 364â€“371
- L. Xiaohui, W. Yiping, C. Zhifu, D. Guangping and G. Zhengqi, â€œThe flow and aerodynamic noise calculation of a generic sideâ€, Computer-Aided Industrial Design & Conceptual Design (CAIDCD), IEEE 11th International Conference, vol. 2, 2010, pp. 1278-1283
- J. Ask and L. Davidson, â€œA numerical investigation of the flow past a generic side mirror and its impact on sound generationâ€, ASME J. Fluid. Eng., vol. 131, 2009, pp. 061102-12
- J.-H. Kim, Y.O. Han, M.H. Lee, I.H. Hwang and U.H. Jung, â€œSurface flow and wake structure of a rear view mirror of the passenger car, BBAA VI International Colloquium on: Bluff Bodies Aerodynamics & Applications Milano, Italy, 2008, pp. 1-12
- M. Su and J.-D. Yu, â€œA parallel large eddy simulation with unstructured meshes applied to turbulent flow around car side mirrorâ€, Computers & Fluids, vol. 55, 2012, pp. 24â€“28
- C. Kato, O. Murata, A. Kokubo, K. Ichinose, T. Kijima, N. Horinouchi and A. Iida, â€œMeasurements of aeroacoustic noise and pressure fluctuation generated by a door-mirror model placed an a flat plateâ€, Journal of Environment and Engineering, vol. 2, 2007, pp. 278â€“292
- S.J. Kline, F.A. McClintock, â€œDescribing uncertainties in single sample experimentsâ€, Mechanical Engineering, vol. 75, 1953, pp. 3-8
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.