Download Full PDF
Read Complete Article
Volume 9 - Jul 2020
The phytoene desaturase is a key enzyme involved in the carotenoid biosynthesis pathway, which catalyzes the conversion of ζ-carotene from phytoene. In this study, he PDS gene (UpPDS) was isolated and characterized from Undaria pinnatifida Suringar, the full-length cDNA sequence was 1707 bp in length and encoded 568 amino acid residues. Then, the plant expression vector pCAMBIA2300-UpPDS was constructed and transformed into Agrobacterium LBA4404, and then transferred into tobacco plants by infection. Transgenic tobacco plants were identified by PCR amplification and southern blotting. Assay of real-time quantitative PCR ananlysis indicated that the expression level of the target gene UpPDS differed greatly in different transgenic tobacco plants. Spectrophotometry was used to determine the carotenoids content in the leaves trangenic plants, and the results showed that the content of carotenoids in the leaves of transgenic plants was higher than that of wild tobacco, and the maximum content increased 1.13 times compared with that of wild plants.
Undaria pinnatifida Suringar, Phytoene Desaturase (PDS), Gene Cloning, Functional Expression, Transgentic Tabacoo
- Caterina, D., et al., Virtually complete conversion of lycopene into β-carotene in fruits of tomato plants transformed with the tomato lycopene β-cyclase (tlcy-b) cDNA. Plant Science, 2004. 166(1): p.0-214.
- Tao, L., et al., A carotenoid synthesis gene cluster from Algoriphagussp. KK10202C with a novel fusion-type lycopene β-cyclase gene. Molecular Genetics & Genomics, 2006. 276(1): p.79-86.
- Claire, B., et al., Pubertal delay. La Revue Du Praticien, 2008.58(12): p.1326-1330.
- Heinecke, J.W., et al., Oxidants and antioxidants in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis: Implications for the oxidized low-density lipoprotein hypothesis. Atherosclerosis, 1998. 141(1): p.1-15.
- Desouza, M., et al., Carotenoid Biosynthesis. Subcell Biochem, 2003. 79: p.199-217.
- Meléndez, M., et al., A comprehensive review on the colorless carotenoids phytoene and phytofluene. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2017. 572(2015): p.188-200.
- Wilhelm, S., et al., Supplementation with tomato-based products increases lycopene, phytofluene, and phytoene levels in human serum and protects against uv-light-induced erythema. International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research, 2005. 75(1): p.54-60.
- Khachik, F., et al., Chemistry, distribution, and metabolism of tomato carotenoids and their impact on human health. Experimental Biology and Medicine, 2002. 227(10): p.845-851.
- Breitenbach, J., et al., Catalytic properties of an expressed and purified higher plant type zeta-carotene desaturase from Capsicum annuum. European Journal of Biochemistry, 2010.265(1): p. 376-383.
- Miyashita, K., et al., The allenic carotenoid fucoxanthin, a novel marine nutraceutical from brown seaweeds. Journal of the science of food and agriculture, 2011. 91(7): p.1166-1174.
- Peng, J., et al., Fucoxanthin, a Marine Carotenoid Present in Brown Seaweeds and Diatoms: Metabolism and Bioactivities Relevant to Human Health. Marine Drugs, 2011. 9(12): p.1806-1828.
- Simkin, A.J., et al., Light-dark regulation of carotenoid biosynthesis in pepper (Capsicum annuum) leaves. Journal of Plant Physiology, 2003.160(5): p.0-443.
- Dewir, Y.H., et al., A simple method for mass propagation of Spathiphyllum cannifoliumusing an airlift bioreactor. Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology Plant, 2006. 42(3): p.291-297.
- Fofana, I., et al., A geminivirus-induced gene silencing system for gene function validation in cassava. Plant Molecular Biology, 2004.56(4): p. 613-624.
- Kumagai, M.H., et al., Cytoplasmic inhibition of carotenoid biosynthesis with virus-derived RNA[J]. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 1995. 92(5): p. 1679-1683.
- Fu, D.Q., et al., Enhancement of virus-induced gene silencing in tomato by low temperature and low humidity. Molecules and Cells, 2006. 21(1): p.153-160.
- Kimura,J., et al., New loliolide derivatives from the brown alga Undaria pinnatifida. Journal of Natural Products, 2002.65(1): p.57-8.
- Breitenbach, J., et al., A higher-plant type zeta-carotene desaturase in the cyanobacterium Synechocystis PCC6803. plant molecular biology, 1998. 36(5): p.725.
- Davuluri, G.R., et al., Fruit-specific RNAi-mediated suppression of DET1 enhances carotenoid and flavonoid content in tomatoes. Nature Biotechnology, 2005. 23(7): p.890-895.
- Mueller, L., et al., Antioxidant activity of β-carotene compounds in different in vitro assays. Molecules, 2011. 16(12): p. 1055-1069.
- Ralley, L., et al., Metabolic engineering of ketocarotenoid formation in higher plants. Plant Journal for Cell & Molecular Biology, 2004. 39(4): p. 477-86.
- Araya, J.M., et al.,cDNA cloning of a novel gene codifying for the enzyme lycopene β-cyclase from Ficus carica and its expression in Escherichia coli. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol, 2011. 92(4): p.769-77.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.