Background:The first case of Infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) were diagnosed in Wuhan, China in 2019. In the first half of 2020 this disease has already converted into a global pandemic. Objectives: To assess the efficacy of Ivermectin in mild cases of COVID-19 patients on the basis of predefined assessment criteria. Study Settings: Fatima Memorial Hospital, Lahore Study Design: Open label randomized control trial. Duration of Study: From 1st May, 2020 to 30th June, 2020.Patients & Methods: Sample size and technique: Sample size was 50 patients; 25 patients were kept in control group and 25 patients were kept in experimental group. Results: There were total 50 patients, divided into two groups case and control group.The mean age of the participants was 40.60 ± 17 and out of those 31 (62%) were male and 19 (38%) were females. Cough was observed more in case group (p= 0.049). Fever, myalgias and dyspnea were the commonest symptoms in both the groups (p= 1.000). Diarrhea and vomiting were more common in control group (p=0.0001, p= 0.042 respectively). On follow up at day 7, patients were stratified as asymptomatic and symptomatic. Amongst the case group, out of 25 patients, 16(64%) patients were asymptomatic and rest of the 9(36%) patients was asymptomatic. In control group, out of 25 patients, 15(60%) patients were asymptomatic and rest of the 10(40%) patients was asymptomatic. p-value (0.500). Statistically there was no significant difference between case group who were given ivermectin along with symptomatic treatment and control group who were only given symptomatic treatment without ivermectin, being asymptomatic on day 7 at follow up. p-value (0.500)
Corona Virus, Covid-19, SARS-COv-2, Antiviral, Ivermectin, Pandemic
- World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): situation report, 72.
- Sohrabi C, Alsafi Z, O’Neill N, Khan M, Kerwan A, Al-Jabir A, Iosifidis C, Agha R. World Health Organization declares global emergency: A review of the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19). International Journal of Surgery. 2020 Feb 26.3.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2020.03.036
- Lu H, Stratton CW, Tang YW. Outbreak of pneumonia of unknown etiology in Wuhan, China: The mystery and the miracle. Journal of medical virology. 2020 Apr;92(4):401-25. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.25678
- Bai Y, Yao L, Wei T, Tian F, Jin DY, Chen L, Wang M. Presumed asymptomatic carrier transmission of COVID-19. Jama. 2020 Apr 14;323(14):1406-7. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.2565
- Heidary F, Gharebaghi R. Ivermectin: a systematic review from antiviral effects to COVID-19 complementary regimen. The Journal of Antibiotics. 2020 Jun 12:1-0. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41429-020-0336-z
- Caly L, Druce JD, Catton MG, Jans DA, Wagstaff KM. The FDA-approved drug ivermectin inhibits the replication of SARS-CoV-2 in vitro. Antiviral research. 2020 Apr 3:104787. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.antiviral.2020.104787
- YAVUZ S, Ünal S. Antiviral treatment of COVID-19. Turkish Journal of Medical Sciences. 2020 Apr 21;50(SI-1):611-9. https://doi.org/10.3906/sag-2004-145
- Chowdhury AT, Shahbaz M, Karim MR, Islam J, Dan G, Shuixiang H. A comparative observational study on Ivermectin-Doxycycline and Hydroxychloroquine-Azithromycin therapy on COVID19 patients. https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-38896/v1
- Patel A. Usefulness of Ivermectin in COVID-19 Illness. Available at SSRN 3580524. 2020 Apr 19. https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.06.06.20124461
- Rajter JC, Sherman M, Fatteh N, Vogel F, Sacks J, Rajter JJ. ICON (Ivermectin in COvid Nineteen) study: Use of Ivermectin is Associated with Lower Mortality in Hospitalized Patients with COVID19. medRxiv. 2020 Jan 1. https://doi.org/10.26434/chemrxiv.11875446.v1
- Cennimo David J. What is the role of antiparasitic drug ivermectin in the treatment of corona virus disease 2019 (Covid-19)? https://www.medscape.com/answers/2500114-197513/what-is-the-role-of-the-antiparasitic-drug-ivermectin-in-the-treatment-of-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19 Updated: Jul 02, 2020. https://doi.org/10.26434/chemrxiv.11875446.v1
- Ivermectin Usage Accelerates While the Need for Data is Real: How About an Ivermectin Registry? MAY 26, 2020 | BANGLADESH, BOLIVIA, COVID-19, IVERMECTIN, PERU, POPULAR POSTS, SARS-COV-2.
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.