The calculus of variations applied to the image processing requires some numerical models able to perform the variations of images and to extremize an appropriate actions. To produce the variations of images, there are several possibilities based on the brightness maps. Before a numerical model, I propose an experimental approach, based on a tool of Gimp, the GNU Image Manipulation Program, in order to visualize how the image variations can be. After the discussion of this tool, which is able to strongly increase the visibility of images, the variations and a possible functional for the visibility are discussed in the framework of a numerical model. The visibility functional is analogous to the fringe visibility of the optical interference.
Image visibility, Fringe visibility, GIMP, Image processing
- G. Aubert, P. Kornprobst, Mathematical problems in image processing. Partial differential equations and the calculus of variations. Applied Mathematical Sciences, n.147, New York, 2006, Springer Verlag.
- R.P. Feynman, R.B. Leighton and M. Sands, The Feynman Lectures on Physics, 1963, California Institute of Technology, Addison-Wesley.
- GIMP, GNU Image Manipulation Program, http://www.gimp.org/
- S.J. Whitmeyer, Google Earth and Virtual Visualizations in Geoscience Education and Research, Geological Society of America, 01/gen/2012.
- A.M. Scheffers, S.R. Scheffers and D.H. Kelletat, The Coastlines of the World with Google Earth: Understanding our Environment, Springer, 06/mar/2012.
- R. Grayson and Chimed-Erdene Baatar, Remote sensing of cross-border routes between Mongolia and China, World Placer Jounrla, volume 9, 2009, pages 48-118.
- A.C. Sparavigna, The satellite archaeological survey of Egypt, Archaeogate, Egittologia, 6 June 2011.
- A.C. Sparavigna, Image Processing for the Enhancement of Satellite Imagery, In: Image Processing: Methods, Applications and Challenges, VÃtor Hugo Carvalho, Nova Science Publishers, Inc. (USA), 2012, pages 149-161.
- A.C. Sparavigna, Lines, dots and spirals on Peruvian land, Archaeogate, AntichitÃ Classiche, 16 September 2011.
- Raymond Ostertag, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nasca_Condor_2007_08.JPG
- A. Sparavigna, A. Mello, B. Montrucchio, Texture transitions in the liquid crystalline alkyloxybenzoic acid 6OBAC, Phase Transitions, volume 79, 2006, pages 293-303. For references on the use of statistical methods in image processing, see please the references therein.
- M. Born, E. Wolf, Principles of optics: Electromagnetic theory of propagation, interference and diffraction of light, 1997, Cambridge University Press.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.