Amelia Carolina Sparavigna
Volume 2 - August 2013 (08)
Recently we have proposed the use of the time series of Google Earth to investigate the motion of sand dunes. In this paper we consider a case study, applying the method to some barchans of the Kharga Oasis. To evaluate the motion of these dunes as a function of their size we use Gimp, a GNU image processing software.
Google Earth, Dune Motion, Satellite Images, GIMP, Image Processing
- A.C. Sparavigna, A Study of Moving Sand Dunes by Means of Satellite Images, The International Journal of Sciences, Volume 2, August 2013, Pages 33-42
- A.C. Sparavigna, Moving dunes on the Google Earth, arXiv:1301.1290, 2013, Geophysics
- J. Ball, Kharga Oasis: its topography and geology. Survey Department, Public Works Ministry, Geological Survey Report 1899, Part II. Cairo: National Printing Department, 116 Pages
- A.M. Sharaky, T.M. Labib and G. Philip, Sand Dune Movement and Its Effect on Cultivated Lands in Africa: Case Study: Dakhla Oasis, Western Desert, Egypt, at the Conference â€œLand Degradation in Egypt and Africaâ€, 23-24 March 2002, Cairo University
- A.H. Ashri, The movement of sand dunes at Kharga oasis, Geol. Soc. Egypt, Volume 17, 1973, Pages 37-46
- N.S. Embabi, Barchan dune movement and its effect on economic development of the Kharga oasis depression, (in Arabic), Jour. Middle East, The Middle East Research Center, Ain Sams University, Volume 6, 1979, Pages 51-84
- R.A. Bagnold, The physics of blown sand and desert dunes, London, Methuen, 1941
- D.S. Thomas, M. Knight and G.F. Wiggs, Remobilization of southern African desert dune systems by twenty-first century global warming, Nature, Volume 435, June 2005, Pages 1218-21
- M. Hiza Redsteer, R.C. Bogle and J.M. Vogel, Monitoring and Analysis of Sand Dune Movement and Growth on the Navajo Nation, Southwestern United States, U.S. Geological Survey, July 2011, Fact Sheet 2011-3085
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.