In this study, an experimental investigation of the flow field around NACA0012 airfoil was carried out in a wind tunnel under the effects of the Reynolds number and angle of attack. The Reynolds number based on the chord length of airfoil and the attack angle was varied from 9.7x104 to 1.9x105 and 0 to 140 respectively. Mean velocities were measured by a constant temperature anemometer and static pressures by a micro-manometer. The results showed that the pressure and lift coefficients displayed a strong dependence on Reynolds number and attack angle.
- N. Ahmed and B.S. Yilbas and M.O. Budair, â€œComputational study into the flow field developed around a cascade of NACA 0012 airfoilsâ€, Computer methods in applied mechanics and engineering, vol.167, 1998, pp. 17-32
- M.S. GenÃ§ and Ä°. Karasu and H.H. AÃ§Ä±kel, â€œAn experimental study on aerodynamics of NACA2415 aerofoil at low Re numbersâ€, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol.39, 2012, pp. 252-264
- M.S.H. Boutilier and S. Yarusevych, â€œParametric study of separation and transition characteristics over an airfoil at low Reynolds numbersâ€, Exp. Fluids., vol.52, 2012, pp. 1491-1506
- A. Tuck and J. Soria , â€œ Separation control on a NACA 0015 airfoil using a 2D micro ZNMF jetâ€, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, vol.80, 2008, pp. 175-180
- S.C. Yen and L.C. Huang, â€œReynolds number effects on flow characteristics and aerodynamic performances of a swept- back wingâ€, Aerospace Science and Technology, vol.15, 2011, pp. 155-164
- Y. Takahashi and M. Kikuchi and K. Hirano, â€œAnalysis of Ground Effects on Aerodynamic Characteristics of Aerofoils Using Boundary Layer Approximationâ€, JSME International Journal Series B Fluids and Thermal Engineering, vol.49, 2006, pp. 401-409
- T.J. Mueller and L.J. Pohlen and P.E. Conigliaro and B.J. Jansen and Jr , â€œ The Influence of Free-Stream Disturbances on Low Reynolds Number Airfoil Experimentsâ€, Experiments in Fluids, vol.1, 1983, pp. 3-14
- M. Mirzaei and S.N.Hosseini and J. Roshanian, â€œSingle and multi-point optimization of an airfoil using gradient methodâ€, Aircraft Engineering and Aerospace Technology, vol.79, 2007, pp. 611-620
- M.R.Ahmed and S.D. Sharma, â€œAn investigation on the aerodynamics of a symmetrical airfoil in ground effect â€, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol.29, 2005, pp. 633-647
- Y.C. Li and J.J. Wang and J. Hua, â€œExperimental investigations on the effects of divergent trailing edge and Gurney flaps on a supercritical airfoilâ€, Aerospace Science and Technology, vol.11, 2007, pp. 91-99
- R.K. Singh and M.R. Ahmed and M.A. Zullah and Y.H. Lee, â€œDesing of a low Reynolds number airfoil for small horizontal axis wind turbinesâ€, Renewable Energy, vol.42, 2012, pp. 66-76
- M. Amitay and A. Glezer, â€œControlled transients of flow reattachment over stalled airfoilsâ€, International journal of heat and fluid flow, vol.23, 2002, pp. 690-699
- B.S. Yilbas and M.O. Budair and N. Ahmed, â€œNumerical simulation of the flow field around a cascade of NACA 0012 airfoils-effects of solidity and staggerâ€, Computer methods in applied mechanics and engineering, vol.158, 1998, pp. 143-154
- M.S. GenÃ§ and Ãœ. Kaynak and G.D.Lock, â€œ Flow over an aerofoil without and with a leading- edge slat at a transitional Reynolds numberâ€, Proc IMechE, Part G- Journal of Aerospace Engineering, vol.223, 2009, pp. 217-231
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.