The objective of this study was to studied of the effects of water stress treatments on inhibition of seed germination and seedling growth in sunflower (Helainthus annuus L.) and castor bean (Ricinus communis L.). The experimental design was 3x5 Factorial in CRD (Completely randomized design) with four replications. Factor A as levels of seed qualities (sunflower and castor bean) divided into three treatments; 1) high quality seed 2) medium quality seed and 3) low quality seed as well as Factor B as the water stress treatments (WST) consisted of five treatments after watered at the first planting; T1 the watered treatment for every day (control treatment) T2 the watered interval for one day T3 the watered interval for two days T4 the watered interval for three days and T5 the watered interval for four days. Seed germination, speed of germination index, shoot length and seedling dry weight were tested. The results showed that the increase of water stress treatments resulted in the increase of inhibition of seed germination and seedling growth in two selected plants (sunflower and castor bean). The difference of seed quality showed the different inhibition of seed germination and seedling growth in two selected plants. The planting of high seed quality had the inhibition of seed germination and seedling growth which lesser than the planting of medium seed quality and low seed quality under water stress condition. The planting of sunflower with watered interval for four days exhibited that the maximum of inhibitory degree (68.04%) followed by the planting of sunflower with the watered interval for three days, the watered interval for two days and the watered interval for one day showed inhibitory degree for 55.37 37.97 and 27.01%, respectively. The planting of low seed quality of sunflower exhibited that the highest of inhibitory degree (56.70%), followed by the planting of medium seed quality of sunflower and the planting of high seed quality of sunflower showed the inhibitory degree for 46.81 and 37.79%, respectively. For castor bean testing, The planting of castor bean with watered interval for four days exhibited that the maximum of inhibitory degree (72.25%) followed by the planting of castor bean with the watered interval for three days, the watered interval for two days and the watered interval for one day showed inhibitory degree for 57.38 39.98 and 28.20%, respectively. The planting of low seed quality of castor bean exhibited that the highest of inhibitory degree (59.36%), followed by the planting of medium seed quality and the planting of high seed quality showed the inhibitory degree for 50.51 and 38.50%, respectively. The results showed that the planting of sunflower and castor bean must selection the high seed quality and selection of the planting of sunflower and castor bean whithout water stress condition. This result indicated that the comprehensive data of effects of water stress on seed germination and seedling growth against (sunflower and castor bean) as well as suggest select the optimum application of the high seed quality for the planting under water stress condition.
Water Stress Treatments, Sunflower (Helianthus annuus), Castor Bean (Ricinus communis), Seed Germination, Seedling Growth Performance, Water Deficit
- Alahdadi, I., H. Oraki and F. P. Khajani. 2011. Effect of water stress on yield and yield components of sunflower hybrids. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 10:6504-6509.
- Almeida, C. M. A., T. D. Silva., C. B. Malafaia., D. O. J. Amaral., I. R. S. Arruda., G. G. Brito., V. M. T. S. Donato., M. V. Silva and M. T. S. Correia. 2013. Proteomic and physiological analysis of response to water deficit in sugarcane. Wudpecker Journal of Agricultural Research. 2: 1-7.
- Aminifar, J., Mohsenabadi., G. Biglouei and H. Samiezadeh. 2012. Effect of deficit irrigation on yield yield components and phenology of soybean cultivars in Rasht region. International Journal of AgriScience. 2:185-191.
- Anjum, S. A., X. Xie., L. Wang., M. F. Saleem., C. Man and W. Lei. 2011. Morpholocical physiological and biochemical responses of plants to drought stress. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 6:2026-2032.
- AOSA. 2002. Seed Vigor Testing Handbook. Association of Official Seed Analysts. No.32.
- Asemota, O. and B. Conaire. 2010. Indentification of moisture stress tolerant oil palm genotypes. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 5:3116-3121.
- Basnayake, J., P. A. Jackson., N. G. Inman-Bamber and P. Lakshmanan. 2012. Sugarcane for water-limited environments. Genetic variation in cane yield and sugar content in response to water stress. Journal of Experimental Botany. 20: 1-11.
- Begum, M. K. and M. S. Islam. 2012. Effect of drought stress on yield and yield components of sugarcane. J. Agrofor. Environ. 6: 105-109.
- Benjamin, J. G., D. C. Nielsen., M. F. Vigil., M. M. Mikha and F. Calderon. 2014. Water deficit stress effects on corn (Zea mays L.) root:shoot ratio. Journal of Soil Science. 4: 151-160.
- Buriro, M., A. S. Sanjrani., Q. I. Chachar., N. A. Chachar., S. D. Chaachar., B. Buriro., A. W. Gandahi and T. Mangan. 2015. Effect of water stress on growth and yield of sunflower. Journal of Agricultural Technology. 11:1547-1563.
- Chang, J., D. E. Clay., S. A. Hansen., S. A. Clay and T. E. Schumacher. 2013. Water stress impacts transgenic drought-tolerant corn in the North Great plains. Agronomy Journal. 106:125-130.
- Chatzakis, V., Tzanakakis., D. Mara and A. Angelakis. 2011. Irrigation of castor bean (Ricinus communis L.) and sunflower (Helainthus annuus L.) plant species with municipal wastewater impact on soil prpperties and seed yield. Water 3:1112-1127.
- Elsheikh, E. R. A., B. Schultz., M. H. Abraham and H. S. Adam. 2015. Effect of deficit irrigation on yield and yield components of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) on Gezira clay soil, Sudan. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 10:2826-2834.
- Fatemi, S. N. 2014. Germination and seedling growth in primed seeds of sunflower under water stress. Annuals Research & Review in Biology. 4:3459-3469.
- Fathi, A. and D. B. Tari. 2016. Effect of drought stress and its mechanism in plants. International Journal of Life Sciences. 10:1-6.
- ISTA. 2003. ISTA Handbook on Seedling Evaluation, 3 rd Edition. International Rules for Seed Testing.
- Joseph-Adekunle, T. T., A. J. Dosumu and O. P. Fadeyi. 2017. Response of oil palm seedling to water stress and fertilizer in the nursery under derived Savannah ecology. Journal of Organic Agriculture and Environment. 5:46-55.
- Junior, G. B., H. O. C. Guerra., M. L. F. Cavalcanti and R. D. Lacerda. 2008. Water consumption and water use efficiency of two castor bean cultivars submitted to water stress Revish Brasileira De Engenharia Agricola Embiental. 12:350-355.
- Khayatnezhad, M. 2012. Evaluation of the reation of durum wheat genotypes (Triticum durum Desf.) to drought conditiond using various stress tolerance indices. Afr. J. Microbiol. Res. 6:4315-4323.
- Kostik, V., S. Memeti and B. Bauer. 2014. Fatty acid composition of edible oils and fats. Journal of Hygienic Engineering and Design.3:112-116.
- Luna-Flores, M., S. Garcia-Hernandez., A. Lara-Herrera., J. J. Avelar., J. J. Llamas-Llamas., M. G. Luna-Estreda and R. R. I. Riva. 2014. Agronomic morphological anatomical and physiological characteristics of tolerant and non-tolerant drought maize varieties. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 9: 1663-1671.
- Maleki, A., A. Naderi., R. Naseri., A. Fathi., S. Bahamin and R. Maleki. 2013. Physiological perfoemance of soybean cultivars under drought stress. Bulletin of Environment Pharmacology and Life Science. 2: 38-44.
- Maraghni, M., M. Gorai and M. Neffati. 2010. Seed germination at different temperature and water stress levels and seedling emergence from different depths of Ziziphus lotus. South African Journal of Botany. 76:453-459.
- Maralian, H., A. Ebadi., T. R. Didar and B. Haji-Eghrari. 2010. Influcence of water deficit stress on wheat grain yield and proline accumulation rate. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 5:286-289.
- Mendez, Y. D., L. M. Chacon., C. J. Bayona and H. M. Romero. 2012. Physiological response of oil palm tnterspecific hybrids (Elaeis oleifera H. B. K. Cortes vesvus Elaeis guineensis Jacq.) to water deficit. Brazilian Society of Plant Physiology. 24:273-280.
- Mut, Z., H. Akay and N. Aydin. 2010. Effects of seed size and drought stress on germination and seedling growth of some oat genotypes (Avena sativa L.). Afr. J. Agric. Res. 5:1101-1107.
- Nadeem, M., J. Li., M. Yahya., A. Sher., C. Ma., X. Wang and L. Qiu. 2019. Research progress and perspective on drought stress in legumes: A review. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 20:1-23.
- Nassir, A. and K. M. Adewusi. 2011. Drought response of some tropical rice genotypes: rooting vegetative triats and grain production. Afr. J. Plant Sci. 710-717.
- Nikneshan, P., A. Tadayyon and M. Javanmard. 2019. Evaluating drought tolerance of castor ecotypes in the center of Iran. Hiliyon. 5:1-8.
- Odiyi, B. O. 2013. The effects of flooding and drought stress on the growth of maize (Zea mays L.) seedling. J. Biol. Food Sci. Res. 2: 30-32.
- Oraki, H. I. Alahadadi and F. P. Khajani. 2011. Investigation of the effect of water deficit stress on yield and yield components in sunflower hybrids. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 6:2358-2363.
- Pajak, P., R. Socha., D. Galkowska., J. Roznowski and T. Fortuna. 2014. Phenolic profile and antioxidant activity in selected seeds and sprouts. Food Chemistry. 143:300-306.
- Pandey, V. and A. Shukla. 2015. Acclimation and tolerance strategies of rice under drought stress. Rice Science. 22:147-161.
- Pandey, A., A. Kumar., D. S. Pandey and P. D. Thongbam. 2014. Rice quality under water stress. Indian J. Adv. Plant Res. 1:23-26.
- Papazoglou, E., E. Alexpoulou., G. K. Papadoupaulas and G. Economou-Antonaka. 2020. Tolerance to drought and water stress resistance mechanism of castor bean. Agronomy. 10:1-11.
- Patane, C., S. L. Cosentino and U. Anastasi. 2017. Sowing time and irrigation scheduling effects on seed yield and fatty acids peofile of sunflower in semi-arid climate. International Journal of Plant Production. 11:17-32.
- Pejic, B., L. Maksimovic., S. Cimpeanu., D. Bucur., S. Milic and B. Cupina. 2011. Response of soybean to water stress at specific growth stages. Journal of Food, Agricultural & Environment. 9: 280-284.
- Radhamani, T., R. Ushakumar., R. Amudha and K. Anjani. 2012. Response to water stress in castor bean (Ricinus communis L.) genotypes under in vitro conditions. J. Cereal Oil Seeds. 3:56-58.
- River-Mendes, Y. D., J. C. Cuenca and H. M. Romero. 2016. Physiological responses of oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.) seedling under different water soil conditions. Agronomia Colombiana. 34:163-171.
- Saeedipour, S. 2012. Effect of post-anthesis water deficit on yield and some physiological parameters on two wheat cultivars. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 7: 3446-3452.
- Sawatdikarn, S. 2020. In vitro allelopathic effects of Ethanolic crude extracts from six medicinal herbs on seed germination and seedling growth in black gram (Vigna mungo Hepper.). p. 178-190. In Proceeding of the 7 th Annual Conference on Engineering and Information Technology.
- Saxena, S. N., R. K. Kakani., R. Saxena and M. M. anwar. Effect of water stress on seed quality of coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.). Journal of Spices and Aromatic crops. 19:53-56.
- Sheshaiah, I. Shankergoud., R. Siddhesh., Nadkarni and V. V. Kulakarni. 2017. Screening of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) genotypes for moisture stress tolerance using PEG-6000. Int. J. Curr. Microbiol App. Sci. 6:848-856.
- Shi, G., F. G. Gu., Z. Liu and L. Le. 2014. Photosynthetic response and acclimation of two castor bean cultivars to repeated drying-wetting cycles. Journal of Plant Interaction . 9:1-9.
- Silva, M. M. R., L. Willadino and T. R. Camara. 2015. Response of Ricinus communis L. To ni vitro water stress induced by polyethelene glycol. Plant Growth Regulation. 78:95-104.
- Simic, M., V. Dragicevic an M. Brankov. 2017. Influence of growing measures on weed interference and water status in maize. Pestic. Phytomed. 32:113-120.
- Sonia, A. S., S. Soram and H. G. Abdollah. 2018. Effect of drought and seed priming on some vegetative and reproductive traits of castor bean (Ricinus communis L.) var. Esfahan. Journal of Crop Ecophysiology. 12:75-88.
- Sowmya, S., M. Sanaja., P. Sathish., G. V. Kumar., A. Razak., S. Vaidya., Y. Anitha and P. Satyavathi. 2016. Variability in physiological and yield performance of castor (Ricinus communis L.) genotypes under rainfed condition of Alfisol. International Journal of Plant Breeding and Genetics. 10:52-57.
- Sun, H., Y. Shen., Q. Yu., G. N. Flerchinger., Y. Zhang., C. Liu and X. Zhang. 2010. Effect of precipitation change on water balance and WUE of the winter wheat-summer maize rotation in the North China plain. Agricultural Water Management. 97:1139-1145.
- Suresh, K., C. Nagamani., K. Ramachandrudu and R. K. Mathur. 2010. Gas-exchange characteristics leaf water potential and chlorophyll a fluorescence in oil palm (Elaeis guineensis Jacq.) seedling under water stress and recovery. Phytosynthetica 48:430-436.
- Tadayon, M. R. and Z. Tzadi. 2015. Deficit irrigation effects on growth seed quanity and quality of castor bean under salicylic acid and sprmine treatment. J. Plant Proc. Func. 3:83-92.
- Vallejos, M., D. Randamini and D. E. Wassner. 2011. Water relationship of castor bean (Ricinus communis L.) seeds related to final seed dry weight and physiological maturity. European Journal of Agronomy. 35:93-101.
- Yani, S. C. and V. Rashidi. 2012. Selection indices in the improvement of wheat grain yield on drought stress conditions. Afr. J. Agric. Res. 7:1177-1183.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.