Author(s): Ligia Yumi Suzuki Moitinho, livia Fratelli, Livia Tomita Goncalves, Gabriel de Azambuja Beigin, Luis Cesar Fava Spessoto, Fernando Nestor Facio Junior
In this report, we present a case of an adolescent with sickle cell anemia and a history of recurring ischemic priapism. Thirty-two hours after the onset of priapism, the patient was submitted to drainage, washing with an adrenaline solution, local ice, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug and tadalafil (5 mg/day). However, However, tumescence remained and corpus cavernosum-corpus spongiosum shunt was performed. Such patients should be treated at a specialized medical center to avoid complications, such as diminished erectile function and dissatisfaction with one’s sex life in the future. Although the early implantation of a penile prosthesis can avoid further episodes of priapism, there is no consensus in the literature on the indication of a penile implant for individuals less than 18 years of age.
Priapism, Ischemic Priapism, Sickle Cell Anemia, Penile Prosthesis, Corpus Cavernosum-Corpus Spongiosum Shunt
- Salonia A, Eardley I, Giuliano F, et al. European Association of Urology guidelines on priapism. Eur Urol 2014;65:480-489. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2013.11.008
- Montague DK, Jarow J, Broderick GA, et al. American Urological Association guideline on the management of priapism. J Urol 2003;170(4 Pt 1):1318-1324. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ju.0000087608.07371.ca
- Broderick GA, Kadioglu A, Bivalacqua TJ, et al. Priapism: Pathogenesis, epidemiology, and management. J Sex Med 2010;7(1 Pt 2):476-500. https:// doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2009.01625.x
- Rees RW, Kalsi J, Minhas S, et al. The management of lowflow priapism with the immediate insertion of a penile prosthesis. BJU Int 2002;90:893-897. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1464-410x.2002.03058.x
- Capece M, Gillo A, Cocci A, et al. Management of refractory ischemic priapism: Current perspectives. Res Rep Urol 2017; 9:175-179. https://doi.org/10.2147/rru.s128003
- Anele UA, Morrison BF, Burnett AL. Molecular pathophysiology of priapism: Emerging targets. Curr Drug Targets 2015; 16:474-483. https://doi.org/10.2174/1389450115666141111111842
- Yücel ÖB, Pazir Y, Kadioglu A. Penile prosthesis implantation in priapism. Sex Med Rev 2018;6:310-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sxmr.2017.08.002
- Levey HR, Kutlu O, Bivalacqua TJ. Medical management of ischemic stuttering priapism: A contemporary review of the literature. Asian J Androl 2012;14:156-163. https://doi.org/10.1038/aja.2011.114
- Capece M, La Rocca R, Mirone V, Bivalacqua TJ, Castiglione F, Albersen M, Ralph DJ, Muneer A, Garaffa G. A Systematic Review on Ischemic Priapism and Immediate Implantation: Do We Need More Data? Sex Med Rev. 2019 Jul;7(3):530-534. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sxmr.2018.10.007
- Ralph DJ, Garaffa G, Muneer A, et al. The immediate insertion of a penile prosthesis for acute ischaemic priapism. Eur Urol 2009;56:1033-10 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2008.09.044
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.