Amelia Carolina Sparavigna
Volume 2 - August 2013 (08)
Here we discuss the application of an edge detection filter, the Sobel filter of GIMP, to the recently discovered motion of some sand dunes on Mars. The filter allows a good comparison of an image HiRISE of 2007 and an image of 1999 recorded by the Mars Global Surveyor of the dunes in the Nili Patera caldera, measuring therefore the motion of the dunes on a longer period of time than that previously investigated.
Edge Detection, Sobel Filter, GIMP, Image Processing, Google Mars, Dune Motion, Satellite Images, HiRISE, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, Mars Global Surveyor
- B. Marinov, V. Gospodinova, Adaptive procedure for boundary detection in satellite images, 3rd International Conference on Cartography and GIS, 15-20 June, 2010, Nessebar, Bulgaria, 11 pages
- F.A. Pellegrino, W. Vanzella, V. Torre, Edge detection revisited, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics â€” Part B: Cybernetics, volume 34, issue 3, June 2004, pages 1500-1518
- T. Shimada, F. Sakaida, H. Kawamura, T. Okumura, Application of an edge detection method to satellite images for distinguishing sea surface temperature fronts near the Japanese coast, Remote Sensing of Environment, volume 98, issue 1, 30 September 2005, pages 21â€“34
- A.C. Sparavigna, Color dipole moments for edge detection. The Computing Research Repository (CoRR), April 2009, 8 pages, oai:arXiv.org:0904.0962
- S. Silvestro, D.A. Vaz, R.C. Ewing, A.P. Rossi, L.K. Fenton, T.I. Michaels, J. Flahaut, and P.E. Geissler, Pervasive aeolian activity along rover Curiosityâ€™s traverse in Gale Crater, Mars, Geology, volume 41, issue 4, 2013, pages 483-486
- P.E. Geissler, M.E. Banks, N.T. Bridges, and S. Silvestro, HiRISE observations of sand dune motion on Mars: emerging global trends, Third International Planetary Dunes Workshop: Remote Sensing and Data Analysis of Planetary Dunes, held June 12-15, 2012 in Flagstaff, Arizona. LPI Contribution No. 1673, pages 44-45, 06/2012
- M. Cardinale, S. Silvestro, D.A. Vaz, T.I. Michaels, L. Marinangeli, G. Komatsu and C.H. Okubo, Evidences for sand motion in Herschel Crater (Mars), 44th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, held March 18-22, 2013 in The Woodlands, Texas. LPI Contribution No. 1719, page 2259, 03/2013
- S. Silvestro, L.K. Fenton, D.A. Vaz, N. Bridges and G.G. Ori, Ripple migration on active dark dunes in Nili Patera (Mars), Second International Planetary Dunes Workshop: Planetary Analogs - Integrating Models, Remote Sensing, and Field Data, held May 18-21, 2010 in Alamosa, Colorado. LPI Contribution No. 1552, pages 65-66, 05/2010
- N. T. Bridges, F. Ayoub, J-P. Avouac, S. Leprince, A. Lucas and S. Mattson, Earth-like sand fluxes on Mars, Nature, volume 485, pages 339â€“342, 17 May 2012
- NASA, http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/multimedia/pia15295.html
- N. Bridges, Sand dunes in Nili Patera Caldera, PSP_005684_1890 Science Theme: Volcanic Processes, hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/ESP_017762_1890
- Lunar and Planetary Institute, A spacecraft tour of the solar system, www.lpi.usra.edu/publications/slidesets/ss_tour/slide_19.html
- A.C. Sparavigna, Moving sand dunes on Mars, 23/08/2013, available at PORTO, http://porto.polito.it/2513080/, submitted to the International Journal of Sciences
- A.C. Sparavigna, Moving dunes on the Google Earth, arXiv:1301.1290 [physics.geo-ph], arXiv, 4 January 2013
- A.C. Sparavigna, A study of moving sand dunes by means of satellite images, The International Journal of Sciences, volume 2, issue August, 2013, pages 33-42
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.