Recent advancement in agriculture and the need for higher production to combat hunger and poverty has led to increased use of pesticides. Perfect killer insecticide is a highly used pesticide in some regions of Nigeria in yam production that is labeled to contain only chlorpyrifos (20%) as active component. Current studies have reported the accumulation of various pesticides in food products which have raised many health issues. In this study, seedlings of yam tubers (D. rotundata) were treated with perfect killer insecticide prior to planting. Growth parameters, chlorophylls content and proximate composition were determined. A total of eleven (11) residues were detected in the treated tubers while only three (3) were found in the control. The pesticide had no significant effect on chlorophylls. The results suggest that Perfect killer insecticide is a combination of different pesticides; and as such, consumption of crops grown with it is unsafe.
Pesticide, Perfect Killer, Insecticide, Residues, Active Components, Yam
- Aboagye-Nuamah, F., Offei, S.K., Cornelius, E.W. and Bancroft, R.D. (2005). Severity of Spoilage Storage Rots of White Yam (Discorea rotundata Poir). Annals of Applied Biology, 147(2);182-190.
- Adeyeye, A. and Osibanjo, O. (1999). Residues of Organochlorine Pesticides in Fruits, Vegetables and Tubers from Nigerian Markets. Sci. Total Environ, 231(2–3), 227– 233.
- Andres, C., AdeOluwa, O.O. and Bhullar, G.S. (2017). Yam (Dioscorea spp.). In Brian T., Brian, G.M. and Denis, J.M. (Editors in Chief). Encyclopedia of Applied Plant Sciences. Waltham, MA: Academic Press, 3:pp.435–441.
- AOAC. (1984). Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 14th edition. Washington, DC, Association of Official Analytical Chemists.
- AOAC. (1990). Association of Analytical Chemistry Method for Chemiscal Analysis: 2217- 2218.
- Arnon, D.I. (1949). Copper Enzymes in Isolated Chloroplasts. Polyphenoloxidase in Beta vulgaris. Plant Physiol., 24:1-15.
- Baah, F.D., Maziya-Dixon, B., Asiedu, R., Oduro, I. and Ellis, W.O. (2009). Nutritional and Biochemical Composition of D. alata (Discorea spp) Tubers. Journal of Food, Agriculture and Environment, 7(2);373-378.
- Babu, H.S., P. Jayaraman and P. Aarthy, (2010). Screening of Ach Ease Inhibition in Blood and Plasma and Brain of Wistar Rats by Neurella D (Combination Pesticide). Int. J. Pharma Bio Sci., 1:574-578.
- Banke, I.S., A.S. Folorunsho, B. Mohammed, S.M. Musa, O. Charles and A.J. Olusegun. (2014). Effects of Melatonin on Changes in Cognitive Performances and Brain Malondialdehyde Concentration Induced by Sub-Chronic Co-Administration of Chlorpyrifos and Cypermethrin in Male Wister Rats. Asian Pac. J. Trop. Biomed., 4:318-323.
- Barry, P., Young, A. J. and Briton, G. (1990). Photo-destruction in Higher Plants by Herbicide Action. J. Exp. Bot., 41:123–126.
- Claudius-Cole, A.O., Kenyon, L. and Coyne, L. (2017). Effect f Pre-Plant Treatments f Yam (Dioscorea rotundata) Setts on the Production of Healthy Seed Yam, Seed Yam Storage and Consecutive Ware Tuber Production. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development in the Tropics and Subtropics, 118(2):297-306.
- Coursey, D.G. (1967). Yams. Longmans Green, London.
- Fuerst, E. P. and Norman, M. A. (1991). Interactions of Herbicides with Photosynthetic Electron Transport. Weed Sci., 39:458–464
- Grewal1, A.S., Singla, A., Pradeep, K. and Jagdeep, S.D. (2017). Pesticide Residues in Food Grains, Vegetables and Fruits: A Hazard to Human Health. J. Med. Chem. Toxicol. 2(1): 1- 7.
- India for Safe Food (2019). http:// indiaforsafefood.in.
- International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA). (2009). Yam (Dioscorea species).
- IPCS (International Programme on Chemical Safety). (1990). Environmental Health Criteria 97, Deltamethrin. World Health Organization, Geneva, IPCS INCHEM (1975). Retrieved on October 24, 2012.
- Ki-Hyun, K., Ehsanul, K. and Shamin, A.J. (2017). Exposure to Pesticides and the Associated Human Health Effects. Science of the Total Environment, 575:525–535.
- Lape, M. I. and Treche, S. (1994). Nutritional Quality of Yam (Dioscorea dumentorum and D. rotundata) Flours for Growing Rats. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 66:447-455.
- Maikasuwa, M. A. and Ala, A. L. (2013). Determination of Profitability and Resource-Use Efficiency of Yam Production by Women in Bosso Local Government Area of Niger State, Nigeria. European Scientific Journal, 9(16):196–205.
- Moore, M. T. and Kroger, R. (2010). Effect of three Insecticides and two Herbicides on Rice (Oryza sativa) Seedling Germination and Growth. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 59:574–581.
- Ogah, C.O., Coker, H.B. and Adepoju-Bello, A.A. (2011). Organophosphate and Carbamate Pesticide Residues in Beans from Markets in Lagos State, Nigeria. J. Inn. Res. Eng. Sciences, 2(1): 50-59.
- Oguntade, A.E., Thompson, O.A. and Ige, T. (2010). Economics of Seed Yam Production Using Minisett Technique in Oyo State, Nigeria. Field Actions Science Reports [Online].
- Osiru, D.S.O. and Hahn, S.K. (1994). Effects of Mulching Materials on the Growth, development and Yield of White Yam. African Crop Science Journal, 2(2):pp153-160.
- Parween, T., Jan, S., Mahmooduzzafar and Fatma T. (2011b). Assessing the Impact of Chlorpyrifos on Growth, Photosynthetic Pigments and Yield in Vigna radiata L. at Different Phenological Stages. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 6(19), pp. 4432- 4440.
- Parween, T., Jan, S., Mahmooduzzafar and Fatma, T. (2011a). Alteration in nitrogen metabolism and plant growth during different developmental stages of green gram (Vigna radiata L.) in response to chlorpyrifos. Acta Physiol. Plant, 33:2321–2328.
- Parween. T, Sumira, J., Sumira, M., Tasneem, F. and Zahid, H.S. (2016) Selective Effect of Pesticides on Plant – A Review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 56 (1):160-179. Rajashekhar, N., Prakasha and Murthy, T. C. S. (2012). Seed germination and physiological behavior of Maize (cv. Nac-6002) seedlings under abiotic stress (Pendimethalin) condition. Asian J. Crop Sci. 4(2):80–85.
- Rehab, E.M. and El-Said, S. (2016). Side Effects of Certain Pesticides on Chlorophyll and Carotenoids Contents in Leaves of Maize and Tomato Plants. Middle East J. Agric. Res., 5(4): 566-571.
- Verter, N. and Bečvařova, V. (2015). An Analysis of Yam Production in Nigeria. Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, 63(2): 659–665.
- Vishnu, S.S., Nandjee, K., and. Pathak, R.N. (2015). Effect of Chemical Pesticides on Chlorophyll Content of Vicia faba L. Journal of Chemistry and Chemical Sciences, 5(1):1-4.
- Wumbe, A., Senaeve, D., Houbraken, M. and Spanoghe, P. (2018). Pesticides Residue Analysis in Yam from Selected Markets across Ghana and Belgium: an evaluation of the QUECHERS method. International Journal of Food Contamination, 5(4):1-10
- Wumbei, A., Bawa, J.K.A., Akudugu, M.A. and Spanoghe, P. (2019). Absence of effects of herbicides Use on Yam Rots: A Case Study in Wulensi, Ghana. Agriculture, 9(5); 9.
- Yadav, I.C., Devi, N.L. (2017). Pesticides Classification and Its Impact on Human and Environment. Environ. Sci. & Engg. 6: Toxicology.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.