Author(s): Guangyi Huang, Jie Liao, Zheng Chen, Xiaoping Qin, Liwei Wei, Jinhua Li, Kaifeng Deng, Xiangyue Li, Yumin Zhuo
The incidence of extra-osseous Ewing sarcoma is low, and extra-osseous Ewing sarcoma of renal origin is even less frequently reported. The clinical manifestation of Ewing sarcoma is non-specific and early diagnosis is difficult, and the diagnosis mainly relies on pathological histology and immunohistochemistry. The disease is highly malignant, with a high rate of local recurrence and distant metastasis, and is currently treated with a combination of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy. The Department of Urology of the First Affiliated Hospital of Jinan University admitted a 71-year-old male patient in 2021 with carnal hematuria and lumbar and abdominal pain as the first manifestation, and the preoperative examination showed a type of round mixed signal mass in the right kidney. After admission, the patient underwent mass resection and inferior vena cava dissection, and the postoperative pathology showed a small round cell malignant tumor, which was considered as extraosseous Ewing sarcoma in combination with immunohistochemical results. Three weeks after surgery, the patient developed multiple organ metastases.
Extraosseous Ewing Sarcoma, Kidney, Diagnosis, Treatment
- Torabi SJ, Izreig S, Kasle DA et al. Clinical characteristics and treatment-associated survival of head and neck Ewing sarcoma. Laryngoscope 2020; 130: 2385-2392.
- Shangpliang DM, Rangad G, Das JK, Chakma K. Primary Adult Renal Ewing's Sarcoma: A Rare Entity. Cureus 2022; 14: e22302.
- Das S, Aggarwal G, Gupta S, Midha D. Primary renal Ewing's sarcoma in an adult: an enigma. Innov Surg Sci 2021; 6: 20200022.
- Mukkunda R, Venkitaraman R, Thway K et al. Primary Adult Renal Ewing's Sarcoma: A Rare Entity. Sarcoma 2009; 2009: 504654.
- Tefft M, Vawter GF, Mitus A. Paravertebral "round cell" tumors in children. Radiology 1969; 92: 1501-1509.
- Mashriqi N, Gujjarlapudi JK, Sidhu J et al. Ewing's sarcoma of the cervix, a diagnostic dilemma: a case report and review of the literature. J Med Case Rep 2015; 9: 255.
- Machado L, Al-Hamdani A, Sankhla DK, Al-Moundhri MS. Extraosseous Ewing sarcoma of the vagina: a rare entity. Ann Saudi Med 2013; 33: 182-186.
- Saif MW, Kaley K. Extraosseous Ewing's Sarcoma of the Pancreas: An Uncommon but Treatable Disease. Cureus 2017; 9: e1882.
- Shet N, Stanescu L, Deutsch G. Primary extraosseous Ewing sarcoma of the lung: Case report and literature review. Radiol Case Rep 2013; 8: 832.
- Sohail AH, Sachal M, Maan MAA et al. Primary intracranial extraosseous Ewing's sarcoma. Childs Nerv Syst 2019; 35: 541-545.
- Vrdoljak DV, Sitic S, Stanec M et al. Primary Ewing's sarcoma of the kidney: a case report. Coll Antropol 2012; 36: 673-676.
- Adapa P, Chung TW, Popek EJ, Hunter JV. Extraosseous Ewing sarcoma of the thyroid gland. Pediatr Radiol 2009; 39: 1365-1368.
- Maroun CA, Khalifeh I, Tfayli A, Moukarbel RV. Primary Ewing sarcoma of the larynx with distant metastasis: a case report and review of the literature. Curr Oncol 2019; 26: e574-e577.
- Khosla D, Verma S, Punia RS et al. Extraosseous Ewing's Sarcoma of the Parapharyngeal Space - A Rare Entity - with Review of Literature. Iran J Otorhinolaryngol 2019; 31: 51-54.
- Kennedy JG, Eustace S, Caulfield R et al. Extraskeletal Ewing's sarcoma: a case report and review of the literature. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2000; 25: 1996-1999.
- Cheng L, Xu Y, Song H et al. A rare entity of Primary Ewing sarcoma in kidney. BMC Surg 2020; 20: 280.
- M JA, Beigomi L, Azarpira N et al. The small round blue cell tumors of the sinonasal area: histological and immunohistochemical findings. Iran Red Crescent Med J 2013; 15: 455-461.
- Biermann JS. Updates in the treatment of bone cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2013; 11: 681-683.
- Donaldson SS. Ewing sarcoma: radiation dose and target volume. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2004; 42: 471-476.
- Womer RB, West DC, Krailo MD et al. Randomized controlled trial of interval-compressed chemotherapy for the treatment of localized Ewing sarcoma: a report from the Children's Oncology Group. J Clin Oncol 2012; 30: 4148-4154.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.