Download Full PDF
Read Complete Article
Volume 11 - Sep 2022
Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) is one of the most common forms of neuropathic pain found in the head and neck region, the diagnosis of which is clinical. Long-term oral medication offers no benefits for patients with TN. Interventions for these patients include percutaneous rhizotomy, radiofrequency thermocoagulation, balloon compression, botulinum neurotoxin, stereotactic Gamma knife radiosurgery and microvascular decompression. The aim of the present study was to investigate aspects of the diagnosis and treatment of patients with trigeminal neuralgia through a literature review. A bibliographic survey was conducted through searches of the SciELO, BIREME, Medline and Google Scholar electronic databases for relevant articles published in the English language. The articles found in the literature were divided into four groups: Group 1 – definition and epidemiology (references 1 to 9); Group 2 – diagnosis (references 10 to 12), Group 3: treatment (references 13 to 26); Group 4: interventional approaches (references 27 to 40). TN is one of the most common forms of neuropathic pain found in the head and neck region. The diagnosis is based on a history of pain such as an “electrical shock” felt in a division of the trigeminal nerve. Approximately 50% of patients with TN do not achieve long-term benefits from drug therapy. Interventional approaches require more scientific research. Future studies should focus on genetics, unexplored etiological factors, sensory function, neurosurgical outcomes and complications, combinations and neuromodulation as well as the development of new drugs with greater tolerability.
Neuropathic Pain, Chronic Facial Pain, Untreatable Pain, Trigeminal Nerve, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Diagnosis, Treatment
- IASP Terminology Working Group. Part III: Pain Terms, a current list with definitions and notes on usage. 2011; ISSN 978-0-931092-05-3.
- Bouhassira D, Attal N, Alchaar H, Boureau F, Brochet B, Bruxelle J, et al. Comparison of pain syndromes associated with nervous or somatic lesions and development of a new neuropathic pain diagnostic questionnaire (DN4). Pain 2005;114:29-36.
- Gerwin R. Chronic facial pain: trigeminal neuralgia, persistent idiopathic facial pain, and myofascial pain syndrome: an evidence-based narrative review and etiological hypothesis. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2020;17:7012.
- Love S, Coakham HB. Trigeminal neuralgia: pathology and pathogenesis. Brain 2001;124:2347-2360.
- Tanganeli JPC, Haddad DS, Bussadori SK. Photobiomodulation as an adjuvant in the pharmacological treatment of trigeminal neuralgia: case report. BrJP 2020;3:285-287.
- Maarbjerg S, Di Stefano G, Bendtsen L, Cruccu G. Trigeminal neuralgia: diagnosis and treatment. Cephalalgia 2017;37:648-657.
- Katusic S, Beard CM, Bergstralh E, Kurland LT. Incidence and clinical features of trigeminal neuralgia, Rochester, Minnesota, 1945–1984. Ann Neurol 1990;27:89-95.
- Mueller D, Obermann M, Yoon MS, Poitz F, Hansen N, Slomke MA, et al. Prevalence of trigeminal neuralgia and persistent idiopathic facial pain: a population-based study. Cephalalgia 2011;31:1542-1548.
- MacDonald BK, Cockerell OC, Sander JW, Shorvon SD. The incidence and lifetime prevalence of neurological disorders in a prospective community-based study in the UK. Brain 2000;123:665-676.
- Laakso SM, Hekali O, Kurdo G, Martola J, Sairanen T, Atula S. Trigeminal neuralgia in multiple sclerosis: prevalence and association with demyelination. Acta Neurol Scand 2020;142:139-144.
- Godazandeh K, Martinez Sosa S, Wu J, Zakrzewska JM. Trigeminal neuralgia: comparison of characteristics and impact in patients with or without multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler Relat Disord 2019;34:41-46.
- Bendtsen L, Zakrzewska JM, Abbott J, Braschinsky M, di Stefano G, Donnet A, et al. European Academy of Neurology guideline on trigeminal neuralgia. Eur J Neurol 2019;26:831-849.
- Gambeta E, Chichorro JG, Zamponi GW. Trigeminal neuralgia: an overview from pathophysiology to pharmacological treatments. Mol Pain 2020;16:1744806920901890.
- Nova CV, Zakrzewska JM, Baker SR, Riordain RN. Treatment outcomes in trigeminal neuralgia: a systematic review of domains, dimensions, and measures. World Neurosurg X 2020;6:100070.
- Tai AX, Nayar VV. Update on trigeminal neuralgia. Curr Treat Options Neurol 2019;21:42.
- Romero JGAJ, Pedras RBN, Almeida-Leite CM. Botulinum toxin in pain management of trigeminal neuralgia: literature review. BrJP 2020;3:366-373.
- Oh HM, Chung ME. Botulinum toxin for neuropathic pain: a review of the literature. Toxins 2015;7:3127-3154.
- Guo BL, Zheng CX, Sui BD, Li YQ, Wang YY, Yang YL. A closer look to botulinum neurotoxin type A-induced analgesia. Toxicon 2013;71:134-139.
- Zhang Y, Lian Y, Zhang H, Xie N, Chen Y. CGRP plasma levels decrease in classical trigeminal neuralgia patients treated with botulinum toxin type A: a pilot study. Pain Med 2020;21:1611-1615.
- Park J, Park HJ. Botulinum toxin for the treatment of neuropathic pain. Toxins 2017;9:260.
- Sousa EJS, Sousa GC, Baia VF, Somensi DN, Xavier MB. Botulinum toxin type A in chronic neuropathic pain in refractory leprosy. Arq Neuro-Psiquiatr 2019;77:346-351.
- Gerwin RD. Botulinum toxin as successful treatment of refractory erythromelalgia pain. Pain Med 2019;20:1251-1253.
- Matak I, Bölcskei K, Bach-Rojecky L, Helyes Z. Mechanisms of botulinum toxin type A action on pain. Toxins 2019;11:459.
- Wu CJ, Lian YJ, Zheng YK, Zhang H-F, Chen Y, Xie N-C, et al. Botulinum toxin type A for the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia: results from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Cephalalgia 2012;32:443-450.
- Morra ME, Elgebaly A, Elmaraezy A, Khalil AM, Altibi AM, Vu T.L.-H, et al. Therapeutic efficacy and safety of botulinum toxin A therapy in trigeminal neuralgia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Headache Pain 2016;17:63.
- Shackleton T, Ram S, Black M, Ryder J, Clark GT, Enciso R. The efficacy of botulinum toxin for the treatment of trigeminal and postherpetic neuralgia: a systematic review with meta-analyses. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2016;122:61-71.
- Missios S, Mohammadi AM, Barnett GH. Percutaneous treatments for trigeminal neuralgia. Neurosurg Clin N Am 2014;25:751-762.
- Park SH, Chang JW. Gamma knife radiosurgery on the trigeminal root entry zone for idiopathic trigeminal neuralgia: results and a review of the literature. Yonsei Med J 2020;61:111-119.
- Al-Quliti KW. Update on neuropathic pain treatment for trigeminal neuralgia: the pharmacological and surgical options. Neurosciences 2015;20:107-114.
- Niranjan A, Lunsford LD. Radiosurgery for the management of refractory trigeminal neuralgia. Neurol India 2016;64:624-629.
- Bina RW, Palsma RS, Weinand ME, Kaso WS. Peripheral nerve stimulation for refractory trigeminal pain: recent single-institution case series with long-term follow-up and review of the literature. Neuromodulation 2020;23:796-804.
- Constanzo F, Silva RSD, de Almeida DB, Ferragut MA, Coelho Neto M, Toledo HV, et al. Gamma knife radiosurgery for trigeminal neuralgia: first case series from Latin America. Arq Neuropsiquiatr 2019;77:232-238.
- Li Y, Yang L, Ni J, Dou Z. Microvascular decompression and radiofrequency for the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia: a meta-analysis. J Pain Res 2019;12:1937-1945.
- Patra DP, Savardekar AR, Dossani RH, Narayan V, Mohammed N, Nanda A. Repeat Gamma Knife radiosurgery versus microvascular decompression following failure of GKRS in trigeminal neuralgia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Neurosurg 2018;131:1197-1206.
- Mendelson ZS, Velagala JR, Kohil G, Heir GM, Mammis A, Liu JK. Pain-free outcomes and durability of surgical intervention for trigeminal neuralgia: a comparison of gamma knife and microvascular decompression. World Neurosurg 2018;112:e732-e746.
- Lu VM, Duvall JB, Phan K, Jonker BP. First treatment and retreatment of medically refractive trigeminal neuralgia by stereotactic radiosurgery versus microvascular decompression: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Neurosurg 2018;32:355-364.
- Cheshire WP. Trigeminal neuralgia: for one nerve a multitude of treatments. Expert Rev Neurother 2007;7:1565-1579.
- Bick SK, Eskandar EN. Surgical treatment of trigeminal neuralgia. Neurosurg Clin N Am 2017;28:429-438.
- Chaves JPG, DE Oliveira TVHF, Francisco AN, Trintinalha MO, Carvalho NVP. Trigeminal neuralgia recurrence: a comparison of microvascular decompression and percutaneous balloon compression: a five years follow-up study. Arq Neuropsiquiatr 2021;79:51-55.
- Holste K, Chan AY, Rolston JD, Englot DJ. Pain outcomes following microvascular decompression for drug-resistant trigeminal neuralgia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurosurgery 2020;86:182-190.
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.