The case addresses a patient who suffered a penetrating wound by a knife in right anterior cervical region (zone I) and left thoracic region that was admitted with signs of hemorrhagic hypovolemic shock (class III). The emergency surgical approach in patients with cervical trauma is indicated in cases of shock that is refractory to volume replacement, murmurs in the cervical region, and intense active bleeding. It is also suggested to avoid approaching non-expandable hematomas due to the risk of rebleeding. In this case, the patient had bleeding in the orifice of the cervical region and signs of shock. First, bleeding control was performed with Foley catheter placed in the wound and a massive transfusion protocol was initiated in the emergency room. Then, the patient was referred to the operating room. The management of penetrating neck injuries is based on anatomical division of the cervical region into zones I, II and III. Zone II is the area where most lesions are observed, followed by zones I and III.
- ATLS – Advanced Trauma Life Support for Doctors. 10. ed. Chicago: Committee on Trauma, 2018.
- FARIA, Isabella Alves de; COSTA, Clayton Reis; DETONI JUNIOR, Giovane Alberto; LOPES, Rodolfo Martins; ALVES, Danilo Henrique Souza; MORAIS, Pedro de; MORAIS, Luiz Carlos de. Relato de caso: trauma cervical penetrante / case report. Brazilian Journal Of Health Review, [S.L.], v. 4, n. 6, p. 27166-27173, 7 dez. 2021. South Florida Publishing LLC. http://dx.doi.org/10.34119/bjhrv4n6-283.
- FELICIANO, David V.. Penetrating Cervical Trauma. World Journal Of Surgery, [S.L.], v. 39, n. 6, p. 1363-1372, 6 jan. 2015. Springer Science and Business Media LLC. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00268-014-2919-y.
- FREIRE, Artur Dantas. Cervical penetrating trauma: literature review. Journal Of Surgery And Clinical Research, Natal, Rn, Brazil., v. 4, n. -, p. 57-62, 10 abr. 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.20398/jscr.v4i2.5494
- Petrone P, Velaz-Pardo L, Gendy A, Velcu L, Brathwaite CEM, Joseph DK. Diagnóstico, manejo y tratamiento de las lesiones cervicales traumaticas. Cir Esp. 2019;97:249–500. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cireng.2019.10.011
- VON BAHTEN, Luiz Carlos. FERIMENTOS CERVICAIS: ANÁLISE RETROSPECTIVA DE 191 CASOS. Revista Colégio Brasileiro de Cirurgiões, Curitiba-Paraná-Brasil, v. 30, n. 5, p. 374-381, out. 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-69912003000500008
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.