Biocentric ethics has incorporated non-human beings into the ethical cum moral sphere. This it has done by granting them moral status and moral relevance. This paper argues against this attempt. It holds the view that to have a moral status one must have a moral sense which consist in rationality, intentionality and responsibility. It concludes that the duty to preserve the environment is more of an ecological rather than a moral one.
Ethics, Biocentric Ethics, Morality, Moral Sense
- Aristotle (1980). The Nicomachean Ethics (Trans.) David Ross. Oxford: University Press
- Beardsley, M. (1965) â€œIntrinsic Valueâ€ in Philosophy and Phenomenological Research. Vol. 26, pp 1-17
- Bronstein D. et al (1972) Basic Problems of Philosophy. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall
- Christian J. L. (2009) Philosophy: An Introduction to the Art of Wondering. Belmont: Wadsworth Cengage Learning
- Etuk, U. (2008). â€œMoral Personhoodâ€ A paper presented at the 2008 Nigerian Philosophical Association (NPA) Conference at University of Calabar, Nigeria, 8th â€“ 11th October
- Feinberg, J. (1985) Reason and Responsibility (6th ed.) California: Wadsworth Publishers
- Goodpaster, K. (1978) â€œOn Being Morally Considerableâ€ in The Journal of Philosophy, Vol. 75, No. 6
- Johnson, J. (2002) Biocentric Ethic: The Inherent Value of Life. Retrieved from http://peopleUmass.Edu. On the 15/7/2013
- Judi Bari, â€œRevolutionary Ecology: Biocentricism & Deep Ecology,â€ A Journal of Revolutionary Ecology. Retrieved from: http://www.judiban.org. On the 16/7/2013
- Mill, J. S. (1963) Collected Works of John Stuart Mill. (33 volumes) London: Routledge & Kegan Paul
- Mouchang and Yi Lei (2013) â€œBiocentric Ethical Theoriesâ€ Retrieved on March 3, from www.eolss.net/Sample-Chapters/c13/E4-25-07-03pdf
- Nowell-Smith, P. H. (1979) â€œReligion and Moralityâ€ in The Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Paul Edwards (ed.). New York: Macmillan
- Schweitzer A. (Biography Materials), Retrieved on March 5, 2013 from en.Wikipedia.org/Wiki/Albert
- Taylor, P. (1986). Respect for Nature: A Theory of Environmental Ethics. New York: Princeton University Press
- Watson Richard (1983) A Critique of Anti-Anthropocentric Biocentricism: Environmental Ethics. Retrieved from http://philpapers.org. On the 21/7/2013
- Worster, Donald, (1994) Nature: Economy: A History of Ecological Ideas. Cambridge: University Press
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.