In this study, we aim to investigate the phenomenon of abusive supervision and its impact on employee performance. Specifically, we will analyze the potential relationship between these abusive behaviors and specific work-related roles using relevant secondary resources. The data utilized in this research is derived from quantitative studies conducted within various organizations across multiple industries. Our findings indicate a negative correlation between supervisor bullying behavior and subordinate productivity levels.
Abusive Supervision, Consequences, Employee Performance
- Tepper, B. J. Consequences of abusive supervision. Academy of management journal 43, 178-190, doi:10.2307/1556375 (2000).
- Tepper, B. J. Abusive Supervision in Work Organizations: Review, Synthesis, and Research Agenda. Journal of Management 33, 261–289, doi:org/10.1177/0149206307300 (2007).
- Yucheng Zhang, Z. L. Consequences of abusive supervision: A meta-analytic review. Asia Pacific Journal Of Management 32, 959–987, doi:org/10.1007/s10490-015-9425-0 (2015).
- Organ, D. W. Organizational Citizenship Behavior: The Good Soldier Syndrome. (Lexington Books, 1998).
- Gary Namie, R. N. The Bully at Work: What You Can Do to Stop the Hurt and Reclaim Your Dignity on the Job. (Sourcebooks, 2003).
- Iliescu D, I. D., Sulea C, Ilie A. . Vocational fit and counterproductive work behaviors: A self-regulation perspective. Journal of Applied Psychology 100, 21-39, doi:10.1037/a0036652. (2015).
- Chirumbolo, A. The Impact of Job Insecurity on Counterproductive Work Behaviors:The Moderating Role of Honesty-Humility Personality Trait. Journal of Psychology 149, 554-569, doi:10.1080/00223980.2014.916250 (2015).
- Paul E. Spector, S. F., Lisa M. Penney, Kari Bruursema, Angeline Goh, Stacey Kessler The dimensionality of counterproductivity: Are all counter-productive behaviors created equal. Journal of Vocational Behavior 68, 446-460, doi:org/10.1016/j.jvb.2005.10.005 (2006).
- Chu, L. C. Mediating toxic emotions in the workplace-the impact of abusive supervision. Journal of Nursing Management 22, 957-969, doi:org/10.1111/jonm.12071 (2014).
- Karambayya, R. Contexts for organizational citizenship behavior: Do high performing and satisfying units have better 'citizens'? , (Working paper, York University, 1990).
- Kevin Eschleman, N. B., Jesse S. Michel, Gary Burns. Perceived intent of supervisor as a moderator of the relationships between abusive supervision and counterproductive work behaviours. Work and Stress 28, 362-375, doi:10.1080/02678373.2014.961183 (2014).
- Sulea, C., Fine, S., Fischmann, G., Sava, F. A., Dumitru, C. Abusive supervision and counterproductive work behaviors: The moderating effects of personality. Journal of Personnel Psychology 12, 196-200, doi:10.1027/1866-5888/a000097 (2013).
- Mitchell, M. S., & Ambrose, M. L. Abusive supervision and workplace deviance and the moderating effects of negative reciprocity beliefs. Journal of Applied Psychology 92, 1159-1168, doi:org/10.1037/0021-9010.92.4.1159 (2007).
- Paul R. Sackett, F. L. Personnel selection. Annual Review of Psychology 59, 419-450, doi:org/10.1146/annurev.psych.59.103006.093716 (2008).
- Gulzar, S., Moon, M. A., Attiq, S., Azam, R. The Darker Side of High Performance Work Systems:Examining Employee Psychological Outcomes and Counterproductive Work Behavior. Pakistan Journal of Commerce & Social Sciences 8, 715-732 (2014).
- Kenneth J. Harris, K. M. K., Suzanne Zivnuska. An investigation of abusive supervision as a predictor of performance and the meaningof work as a moderator of the relationship. The Leadership Quarterly 18, 252-263, doi:org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2007.03.007 (2007).
- Castro, C., Barroso, E., Armario, M., Ruiz, D. M. The influence of employee OCB on customer loyalty. International Journal of Service Industry Management 15, 27-53, doi:org/10.1108/09564230410523321 (2010).
- Kelly L. Zellars, B. J. T., Michelle K. Duffy. Abusive supervision and subordinates' organizational citizenship behavior. Journal of Applied Psychology 87, 1068-1076, doi:10.1037/0021-9010.87.6.1068 (2002).
- Lamertz, K. The social construction of fairness: Social influence and sense making in organizations. Journal of Organizational Behavior 23, 19-37, doi:org/10.1002/job.128 (2002).
- Rong Wang, J. J. How Abusive Supervisors Influence Employees' Voice and Silence: The Effects of Interactional Justice and Organizational Attribution. The Journal of Social Psychology 155, 204-220, doi:org/10.1080/00224545.2014.990410 (2015).
- Karl Aquino, T. M. T., Robert J Bies. Getting even or moving on? Power, procedural justice, and types of offense as predictors of revenge, forgiveness, reconciliation, and avoidance in organizations. Journal of Applied Psychology 91, 653-668, doi:10.1037/0021-9010.91.3.653 (2006).
- TINA LØKKE VIE, L. G., STÅLE EINARSEN. How does it feel? Workplace bullying, emotions and musculoskeletal complaints. Scandinavian Journal Of Psychology 53, 165-173, doi:org/10.1111/j.1467-9450.2011.00932.x (2012).
Cite this Article:
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.