The paper present the results of evaluation of the data set that contains the variety of trees species and approaches under Multi Storied Forest Management System on three (3) selected sites, namely, Secondary forest, Acacia mangium forest and Selective logged over forest in Peninsular Malaysia. The results showed that in Secondary forest, Shorea roxburghii showed the highest survival rate at 98% and the highest average of diameter growth with 2.13cm at one (1) year planting. While in Acacia mangium forest, Hopea odorata had exceeding the highest survival rate with 77% and has the highest average of diameter growth with 2.06cm at one (1) year planting. For Selective logged over natural forest, Dipterocarpus baudii shows the highest survival rate with 76% meanwhile Shorea leprosula has the highest average of diameter growth with 1.5cm at one (1) year after planting. These results indicate that with the right species selection used under several planting methods of Multi Storied Forest Management System will become the potential application for future large enrichment planting programme in poorly stocked inland forest in Peninsular Malaysia.
growth performance, survival rate, diameter growth, enrichment planting, secondary forest, Acacia mangium forest, selective logged over forest
- Abdul Rahman Abdul Rahim, A.K. Shasiah and A. Mohd. Jinis. 2002. The Rehabilitation of the Poorly Stocked Hill Forests in Peninsular Malaysia : Crucial for Timber Production. Paper Presented at the Seminar on â€œBringing Back The Forestsâ€, 7-10 October, Kuala Lumpur. 15p
- Abdul Rahman Abdul Rahim and A.K. Shasiah. 2002. The Role of Enrichment Planting Programme of Dipterocarp Timber Species in Contributing to the Sustainable Forest Management Practice in Peninsular Malaysia : Issues and Challenges. Paper presented at the Seventh Round Table Conference on Dipterocarps, 7-10 October, Kuala Lumpur. 15p
- Aminah, H., A.S. Abdul Khalim, S. Ngaijah and A. Sheikh Abu Bakar. 1997. â€œPanduan Teknik-teknik Pengurusan Tapak Semaian Spesies Perhutanan di Malaysiaâ€. FRIM Technical Information Handbook No. 7. 31p
- Ang, L.H. 2002. Meranti. A Manual for Forest Plantation Establishment in Malaysia. Malayan Forest Record no. 45, FRIM, Kuala Lumpur. Pp :173-187
- Appanah, S, I. Shamsuddin, P.E. Chong, H. Ismail, W.A. Wan Shukri. Future Direction and Improvement in Selective Management System Based on Research Findings. Proceedings of the Workshop on Selective Management System and Enrichment Planting â€œTowards Sustainable Forest Managementâ€, 24-26 June 1997, Perak. Pp : 39-52
- Appanah, S. and Weinland, G. 1993. Planting Quality Timber Trees in Peninsular Malaysia. Malayan Forest Record No. 38. FRIM, Kuala Lumpur. 221p
- Arifin, A., S. Tanaka, S. Jusop, N.M. Majid and K. Sakurai, 2008. Rehabilitation of degraded tropical rainforest in Peninsular Malaysia with a multistoried plantation technique of indigenous dipterocarp species. J. Forest Environ., 50: 141-152. DOI: 10.3923/ijss.2010.112.130
- Forestry Department of Peninsular Malaysia (FDPM), 2003. Forest Plantation for the Future -A Record of the Multi-Storied Forest Management Project in Malaysia and the Small Scale Fast-Growing Forest Plantation Project in Malaysia
- Karam, D.S., A. Arifin, O. Radziah, J. Shamshuddin and N.M. Majid et al., 2012. Impact of long-term forest enrichment planting on the biological status of soil in a deforested dipterocarp forest in Perak, Malaysia. Sci. World J. DOI: 10.1100/2012/641346
- PROSEA. 1993. Plant Resources of South-East Asia : Timber Trees: Major Commercial Timbers. Soerianegara, I. and Lemmens, R.H.M.J (Eds.). 610p
- Raja Barizan, R.S. and Shamsuddin I. 1997. Future Direction and Improvement in Enrichment Planting Based on Research Findings. Proceedings of the Workshop on Selective Management System and Enrichment Planting â€œTowards Sustainable Forest Managementâ€, 24-26 June 1997, Perak. Pp : 117-131
- Thang, H.C. 1987. Forest Management Systems for Tropical High Forest, with Special Reference to Peninsular Malaysia. Forest Ecology and Management (21) : 3-20
- Wan Yusoff, W.A. and Abdul Rahman, A.R. 1997. Status of Enrichment Planting in Peninsular Malaysia. Proceedings of the Workshop on Selective Management System and Enrichment Planting â€œTowards Sustainable Forest Managementâ€, 24-26 June 1997, Perak. Pp : 117-131
International Journal of Sciences is Open Access Journal.
This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) License.
Author(s) retain the copyrights of this article, though, publication rights are with Alkhaer Publications.